Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is in need of a new transmission, and the new FJ60 I got the other day has the new 5 speed in and he threw in the old 4 speed and transfer case along with the bellhousing. I was wondering if a transmission out of a 87 FJ60 will fit a 78 FJ40.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
It will fit with some modifications...

1. The FJ40 tranny/t-case combo uses a crossmember underneath the transmission. Best way is to retain this and fab it onto the FJ40. You could also build your own crossmember off the bacl of the t-case like a AA one. Another option is to just rely on the 4 mounts that the FJ40 has now... 2 Front and 2 on bellhousing but I wouldn't do it. had a customer break a bellhousing doing this.

2. Tranny tunnel mods will need to be made. the top cover of the 60 is different than 40, you can probably just swap the two and leave it in the same spot, but the t-case one will need modification.

I think thats it... :D

Disclaimer: Been up all night studying for a Calc. test... :D I can't think let alone recall data out of storage... :D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
It will fit with some work. you will need to axe the tube crossmember IIRC, as the FJ60 tranny/case of that vintage has the extra 3" spacer between the tranny and case. T-case shifter will come out further back and you will probably want to switch top covers with an fj40 4 spd to leave the shifter in its stock location. There is also the parking brake issue(lack of it on the FJ60 t-case) and the issue with different driveshaft flange patterns. The tranny tunnel will need to be modified too.

Get an FJ60 crossmember that rides under the tranny and the frame brackets for mounting. It is the best way I think, I went through a swap like this on a friends FJ40 and it was the safeest and best mounting method of the common ones. BTW the rear cover of the split case has a different pattern than the early one piece cases, so you will not be able to use the AA bracket without mods to the pattern...

-Brett

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea he threw in the orginal crossmember too.
I am new to Cruisers and I do have some skills, but on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is the changover? I would rank doing a cam job at around 5-6 and putting on a suspension lift around 3-4 (SUA) just to give you a refernce to go by.
I have pulled my tranny and put in new seals and stuff like that so pulling the old tranny should not be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts