Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, not long ago, my transmission went out. Its a 98 F150 5 speed 4x4 v8..Now its out again for the second time, with the same problem-Shift forks and rods are getting chewed up..WHat could cause it to keep messin up? The shop working on it now say the rod was out of adjustment and the fork wasnt set right by the first person who fixed it...they say they cant find anything inside the transmision itself that is causing it to mess up and they keep saying its in the shifter.. but I think they are overlooking something..

When it first messed up it..you could put it in gear, let out on the clutch and it wouldn'g go, it would just lock down because it was trying to go into 2 gears at the same time..then I drove it for about 5 months and....

Same with the recent breakdown..

So IMO, I think something inside the transmission is causing this..What do you guys think??

I need to sell this POS

·
Banned
116 Posts
problem is ford used a mazda transmission in there trucks.

try to find a zf transmission from a f250/350 with the same engine as yours.

you can identify it by checking out the sides its has a big pto cover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't think they put 4.6's in the f250's...?

·
Banned
116 Posts
do more research on this and dont quote me on it but...

you should be able to use the zf that came bolted to the 5.4l.

i checked car-part.com and some 250s and 350s came with the 4.6 but im not sure if they used the mazda unit of the zf for the trans

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping its just the shifter..its got 230k on it

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

This might be true if he was actually burning up transmissions... But not for a shift fork issue.

At 230K it was probably just it's time to start acting up. If you've had no issues with it up until this point, I'd just find another one for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Has something to do with the rail in the top. look at the little plugs on the end of the rails if one is pushed out. If so the forks are not lined up right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts