Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmission Scatter Shields/Blankets in KOH

So, a pretty bad accident happened this weekend in Laughlin. Steele's TT tranny blew & sent parts flying threw the Co-Dawgs leg. Where he was life flighted to Las Vegas for surgery. 1st thing that came to mind was KOH rigs & turning huge RPM's while not moving. Thus, creating a bigger chance of tranny's blowing to shreds.

I wouldn't be surprised if this accident makes installing shields or blankets mandatory in desert racing.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/100873-Transmission-Scatter-Shields-Blankets-Discussion

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
So, a pretty bad accident happened this weekend in Laughlin. Steele's TT tranny blew & sent parts flying threw the Co-Dawgs leg. Where he was life flighted to Las Vegas for surgery. 1st thing that came to mind was KOH rigs & turning huge RPM's while not moving. Thus, creating a bigger chance of tranny's blowing to shreds.

I wouldn't be surprised if this accident makes installing shields or blankets mandatory in desert racing.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/100873-Transmission-Scatter-Shields-Blankets-Discussion
it's already a requirement for us. ;)

6.2.7.4 Transmission shall have an approved scatter shield, or approved floor between occupants and transmission.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I suppose the question is, what constitutes an approved floor, and is it actually adequate to protect against an exploding tranny with a few hundred HP pushing the parts outward? I cant say that I've ever looked inside Steeles TT very closely but I'm sure it had a floor and tunnel surrounding the trans. Doesn't sound like it helped much.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly, how much thicker do they need to be protect.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

Was that Laughlin accident at speed? I think its a lot different cuz the KOH stuff is shorter bursts. And if they are spinning tires the tranny isn't loaded nearly as much for nearly as long as a dezert racer.

I watched a rod blow out of a boat motor right through the hull of the boat and inbetween the guys legs standing over the engine. Scary!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Was that Laughlin accident at speed? I think its a lot different cuz the KOH stuff is shorter bursts. And if they are spinning tires the tranny isn't loaded nearly as much for nearly as long as a dezert racer.
I'm going to go with BS on this statement. KOH puts just as much if not much more stress with all the shock loading in the rocks. I don't know max speeds this weekend but they wern't that high (it was a 8 mile loop with average speeds in the 50mph range). KOH rigs are getting into the over 100mph club often and are spinning the same RPM's as some trophy trucks.

Knowing the team that it happened to it was probably a fresh trans with top of the line parts that were magnafluxed prior to the race. How many KOH racers prep their trans every race and get it magnafluxed?

The floor in the trophy truck would have passed KOH tech. Aluminum floors don't stop much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm going to go with BS on this statement. KOH puts just as much if not much more stress with all the shock loading in the rocks. I don't know max speeds this weekend but they wern't that high (it was a 8 mile loop with average speeds in the 50mph range). KOH rigs are getting into the over 100mph club often and are spinning the same RPM's as some trophy trucks.

Knowing the team that it happened to it was probably a fresh trans with top of the line parts that were magnafluxed prior to the race. How many KOH racers prep their trans every race and get it magnafluxed?

The floor in the trophy truck would have passed KOH tech. Aluminum floors don't stop much.
My tranny just went back into my car after being fully prepped and magnafluxed, but I also just ordered a scatter shield today that will go in before the race.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

Total BS, but don't compare a 100mph sprint, to a 50mph AVERAGE? Lets go apples to apples on average speeds. Whats the average sustained speed in a KOH race? When is the last time a trophy tranny got a 5 minute winching break to cool off, or when's the last time that tranny sat in a rock canyon behind 20 rigs for another 20 min. Those engines practically idle through the rocks ( at the hp & gear they run) and the trophies are all pedal through all gears, all day. Gears and Driveshafts are a different story

I agree with you on aluminum, it'll never stop hardened steel wacking on it. Maybe they should review their Tech for what materials will resist others.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
ha which costs more... that should be your answer as to which is harder on components. a real trophy truck axle will blow any rock crawler axle away, in parts and price. and those dudes get what they pay for and still break them. i think i once heard of herbst spending like 30000 or 60000 grand on their rear axle for the shark or some thing. trophy trucks are no joke. you also have to consider that they weigh considerably more (5000-7000) than a koh rig, and they go waaaay faster.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In terms of high powered rock crawlers. The comparison is in the video above. Lots of torque against rock faces or boulders that don't move. Or abupted stops by these objects. Combined with no air flow to cool things off. Add in the fact lots more money is put into every inch off TT's, class 1 & class 6. Compared to the average KOH rig.

I'm just trying to bring the news to crawlers & to keep this in mind in race builds. This was a bad accident that wasn't thought might happen.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
The floor in Geiser TT's including the #16 DA truck are just thin aluminium. DA truck was not running a scattershield.
Not what Dan said on RDC....

"Scatter shields were on both of the DA trophy trucks before they left the line to race today. While they may not be mandatory per the rule book, yet, they are required for the DA."

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Not what Dan said on RDC....

"Scatter shields were on both of the DA trophy trucks before they left the line to race today. While they may not be mandatory per the rule book, yet, they are required for the DA."

obviously heresay, but I thought that was for Sunday, not Saturday when the accident happened. And that BJ loaned them the scattershield for Sunday....

I really dont know as I'm sitting in Texas...
What I do know is some other sanctioning body requirments. SCTA requires not only a scatter shield but additional plating protecting any fluid lines (brake, fuel, cooling, oil, air, etc...) that travel across the plane of the converter & flywheel. So effectively you have the scattershield and then additional blast walls protecting anything ancillary around the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I talked a bit with Hughes about what was available through them for scatter shields.

They have the carbon fiber unit that hugs the transmission, a bit costly and perhaps will be like a little oven and hold excessive heat next tot he trans. case. I know that transmissions aren't air cooled but I can't imagine it helps them by holding the heat next to the transmission.

The next option was a AL. scatter shield. rough specs are that it's 1/4" 6061 T-6. fits close to the transmission but will still allow some air flow, then you put on a separate bell housing type cover for the flexplate.

My question for Hammerking is, What's an approved floor? I know the proper channels to ask through are not this thread but I know everybody is watching this.

I have another item I need to email Chris on so I will ask him this question as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scattershields were NOT on the truck Saturday when Cody was injured. Bobby Baldwin was awesome enough to send two scattershields from his shop in Vegas to us on Sat evening and they were installed Sat night for the race on Sunday. Had we not found them we would not have raced Sun.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Scattershields were NOT on the truck Saturday when Cody was injured. Bobby Baldwin was awesome enough to send two scattershields from his shop in Vegas to us on Sat evening and they were installed Sat night for the race on Sunday. Had we not found them we would not have raced Sun.
Highlighted the part that counts.

Getting on my little soap box here.

At what point does it become me as a racers responsibility to make sure that MY car is safe for all occupants and not the sanctioning body?
I understand the need for the rules as we would end up with some Darrel dumb ass out there in a Yugo with 42" tires trying to race with some seat belts his grandpa found in the trash after WWII, a seat from god only knows where, while wearing his cousins short sleeve fire suit from 1962 world drag racing finals. So I don't have a problem with rule books and the things they are working towards.

But when does the sanctioning body take a step back and say you as the driver ultimately hold the responsibility to make sure your car is safe SO DO IT.

For all drivers and Co drivers, realistically take a step back and think about things objectively for a few minutes. You are in charge of making your car safe not HammerKinig, SCORE, BITD. They are simply trying to take a 5 minute look at your car to make sure it come close to meeting the rules.

If you want them to be your police then let's start paying for tech inspections that take hours to perform so you can be caught and have to fix it.

In short, I don't think that a sanctioning body should keep anyone from racing because of a scatter shield on the transmission, however the rule is in the book and therefore we as the racers need to work towards meeting that rule or coming as close as possible to meeting it.

Drivers, Co drivers, Pit crews, Shop crews just do the right thing it's not that hard.

Off of soap box now. Working on figuring out a way to build or acquire a scatter shield that "I" think will work and also fit in the car.

Edit: I'm sure that the insurance companies will have a say in this ultimately and they will disagree with me but Fuck them too

1 - 20 of 31 Posts