Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not hardcore just need help asap. Replacing tre's on 04 Chevy Colorado. Can't get the jam nuts loose, lubed with penetrating oil, tried heat, not working. These don't have sleeves, just jam nuts that butt against the outer tres. Wrench flats on the inners tre's are starting to round over. Need the truck done today so I can get to work tomorrow. Don't want to thread the outers up to the nuts and have the alignment be way off (dropping it off for alignment tomorrow morning before work, 15 mile trip). Any suggestions other than drinking bleach or posting Tuesday?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're working currently on the inner nuts, they most likely are left hand thread to allow easy adjustments for alignment... Maybe try "tightening" the inner nuts to see if they come loose...

Also, to get it close on alignment after you're done, drive front tires onto trashbags and bust out tape measure. Measure center rear of front tires, then go to front and do the same, adjust til 1/8" narrower on front of tire. Usually gets you close...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jam nuts should be right hand thread since they are on the same threaded shaft the tre's go on. Tried heating the piss out of the nuts with no luck. Wound up threading the tre's to where the should have been and spinning the shafts to snug the nuts against them.Inner shafts free spin so I'm guessing they just pulled the outers tight? Moog tre's were about 3/16 shorter than the original ones which cause the shit show. If they were the same length they would have threaded right where they needed to be. Test drove her just now, should make the 15 mile back road trip to the alignment shop near where I work in the morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts