Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went up yesterday for an overnighter. It is possible to get by the tree to the left but we decided to turn around and camp closer to loon.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
It's a really good idea to carry a chain saw in the winter a spring months. Turning around because of a downed tree isn't a huge deal, but getting stuck on the trail because one fell while you were there could be.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
It's a really good idea to carry a chain saw in the winter a spring months. Turning around because of a downed tree isn't a huge deal, but getting stuck on the trail because one fell while you were there could be.
X2

Not to mention firewood/a fire keeps you warm (could save your life)

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^ absolutey.

I picked up a small Stihl MS 170 just for this. A quart of premix gas in a metal can (they sell it at most saw shops and it has a 2 yr shelf life) and a quart of bar oil, along with a wedge or two and an extra chain and bar wrench will fit in to a .50 cal ammo can easily enough and get you out of most predicaments. Fairly cheap (under $250) insurance.

I have 3 of the Stihl professional saws and I use this little guy the most.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Last Rubicon trip a month ago we had a 14" chainsaw between the lot of us and had to cut through a 24" felled tree. :laughing:

Got'er done, but sure took longer than it should have.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
^^^ absolutey.

I picked up a small Stihl MS 170 just for this. A quart of premix gas in a metal can (they sell it at most saw shops and it has a 2 yr shelf life) and a quart of bar oil, along with a wedge or two and an extra chain and bar wrench will fit in to a .50 cal ammo can easily enough and get you out of most predicaments. Fairly cheap (under $250) insurance.

I have 3 of the Stihl professional saws and I use this little guy the most.
My "Jeep Saw" is our MS270 with 18" bar. Fits great along the rear bed rail, easy to grab and big enough for most stuff on the trail. We have a plethora of saws around camp but this always seems to be the one we grab. Not too heavy and plenty of power for most stuff. I get tired just looking at the 461 ;)

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I never go into the woods without a saw, and to be honest, 90% of the time I have 2 with me. 038M and 066M. But down trees are the stuff I look for to clear, I travel the trails most people ignore. If I take one, I have an extra bar and chain for it.
Take a plastic wedge with you as well, to many times I have seen a bar pinch in the tree and then what do you do.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I never go into the woods without a saw, and to be honest, 90% of the time I have 2 with me. 038M and 066M. But down trees are the stuff I look for to clear, I travel the trails most people ignore. If I take one, I have an extra bar and chain for it.
Take a plastic wedge with you as well, to many times I have seen a bar pinch in the tree and then what do you do.
Very good point. I actually pinched a bar some years back on 14N05. Had to take off power head, run back to camp and get some stuff to get bar out of downed tree. Dumb move.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
MS461 with a 24" bar is my "go to" saw. I carry a spare 32" bar and chain for it. Gives me a big tree saw if I need it (though it's slow with the big bar), and also if I pinch I can unbolt the head, bolt it to the 32, and I'm back in business to cut my 24" bar out. I also carry a short woodsman's axe and wedges.

FWIW, I've been watching that tree for while. It's been dead for a couple of years and the roots are in the water most of the year (rotten), not surprised it went down. You can get past it by making a hard left turn when you get to it and going around. Edit: just noticed the OP already said that...

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Very good point. I actually pinched a bar some years back on 14N05. Had to take off power head, run back to camp and get some stuff to get bar out of downed tree. Dumb move.
Wedges are cheap and consumeable. A spare cyl head, piston, wrenches, wedges, chain, pull clutch, string, drive clutch and 2strk mix will all fit into a 50cal can. Its easy to pack a lot of saveyourass into a small space.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point! Our search and rescue buddy had a saw, but none of us had a boat or clothing sufficient enough to remove that tree. Haha!

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Good point! Our search and rescue buddy had a saw, but none of us had a boat or clothing sufficient enough to remove that tree. Haha!
You would have drove through ice right there if the tree was there, right?

Pull up the tree, stand on tire, cut tree, drive over? Or..... Hook winch cable before cutting, cut, drag out of the way. :homer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts