Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are some here that think the TRE's are the way to go for control arm ends. I just want some input from people who have done it, or know which parts are the correct ones to use. After looking over the pros of TRE's(self adjusting to wear, better sealed, stronger in most cases) it looks like that would be the way I want to build my four link.

Does anyone have any pictures of TRE's being used on suspension control arms? Do you know the part numbers of TRE's that would make good candidates for my use?

And for everyone, what do you think the pros and cons of using TRE's instead of Heims, Johnys ,r other popular popular rod ends?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think Coby Hughey is using some TRE's on the wristed radius arms he's selling....contact him (somehow) or try Scott at Rockstomper.com, he'll know for sure.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GearMan, can you give some more specs from them(overall dimensions, bore diameter, length of the threads)? Do you know what the part #'s are? Can you take a picture of them , and post it here so I can get a better Idea of the brackets I would have to build to house them and still allow for full flex?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
check out the tre from mid 80s chev drag link they have extra travel than a normal tre i know the part# to the right hand thrd one is es2026r they have a 7/8-18 thread you can get this tap at a machine tooling supply house for around $25 i believe the left hand thrd tre is part#es2027l but i'm not sure of that one these do have far more travel than reg tres

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for starting this thread back up. I was actually going to bring it back soon myself. I have been wondering more about this lately. I like everything about using TRE's exceot for the assymetrical mounting. It seems to me that it would be pretty hard to come up with good mounting brackets for them, espescially on the axle.

Hopefully some more people have used TRE's on suspension links now so that we can get some experienced info, some pics of how the mounting points would be great too.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
morpheus said:
it would seem to me that the inability or at least I can't think of a way to mount the TRE's in double shear would cause even the biggest TRE to fail fairly quickly since they're not really designed for stresses like would be put on it. i could be wrong though ...

- jack
I would think that if TRE's (and you hardly hear anyone say "I bombed my TRE") would hold up great, since they hold up with with the pressure put on them by stock steering and I've personally never even heard of anyone with Hydro assist busting a TRE.

So in conclusion I think they'd hold up great.

As for mounting on an axle, NO problem, basically just a 1/2" thick "stub" mount with the properly tapered hole should hold up GREAT (maybe reinforce with some bracing if necessary)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I've seen it done and it works pretty good.
Seems to have plenty of angular movement.

I started building a 4-link for my Toy about six years ago doing this method. For some mounts I used 3/4" flat bar to make mount tabs. For other I used 1/4" plate with another piece of 1/2" (smaller) welded over it. Then took and reamed tapered holes thru the 3/4" thickness.

I swapped to longer than stock hybrid leaf packs and never did complete the 4-link.

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts