Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of designing my triangulated upper/parallel lower rear suspension and have hit upon a conundrum of sorts.

The amount of stress placed on the triangulated upper is inversely proportional to the angle of the arms. In other words, as the links get longer, their ability to hold the axle in place laterally decreases.

Now, the other part of the equation is the angle of the upper arm at the axle end. I want to run as long an arm as I can to avoid pinion angle problems under articulation, and to do this, I need to match the length (at least) of my lowers. The key here is that I have 29 inches between my frame rails where the upper would mount. I will be running a single 1.25” heim at the axle end, and fairly stiff durometer poly bushings at the frame. Looking from above, the minimum angle I can see running between the links at the axle end is 22.5 degrees. At this angle, the arms would be 32.5” long, and the longitudinal length between mounts would be 29”.

My question to the people running triangulated uppers is: Is 22.5 degrees enough angularity to keep the axle laterally stable while not placing extreme forces on the upper arms?

Andy

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yes it should be fine. I think we did something very close to that on a 2300 pound buggy and I don't think it will be a problem. Make sure you run a gusset in that A arm to stabilize the entire structure.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't see a problem I know mine is less than 22 degrees weighs +-5500#'s with no problems and it does get abused

1 - 4 of 4 Posts