Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last winter i looked into the idea of making some simple drop links that are lockable, didn't search but wouldn't surprise me to see others have tried this. Once i got going, about 50 designs later, i wanted to see if i could design the greatest drop links ever, too much time on my hands i guess. here it is. lockable for road + dual twist. bottom twist is what you've seen before to let the springs twist, the top twister kicks in ONLY as the link drops,(more drop = more twist), letting the entire axel roatate on it's natural arc similar to quarter eliptical. I did weld up a proptotype but haven't tried it out yet, my kick is already too high and flexes plenty. I did have dreams of selling a few but they take so much time, not sure it would be worth it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
do you have any other pics or drawings of your design throughout its range of motion and from different angles, it sounds good, but i cant figure out what joints are what from your picture

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
pfffff gr. 5 bolts :shaking: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
484 Posts
"Needs more triangulation." :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you welded up a set why not post pics of it in different stages of movement?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prototype link is in one of my recon rigs at my brother's, i'll get a pic the next time i'm over. here an illustion of the link at full drop, 11"! Who knows what may change after the real test run but it works great on paper.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey man---good design, 11" travel is crazy---need some killer shocks--heck would need to stick out the hood :D

your design looks well thought out all the way down to the camp paint job! However in your projected full droopp photo I noticed a possible weak spot. My belief is the top pivot would be highly stressed however I have no idea how you plan to manufacture this joint so I may be incorrect---never wrong---just incorrect!

I'd like to see what ya come up with--fab a pair up sow us some closed, open, rig flex shots--0heck you may be on to somethin good. Best O luck!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
my first thought seeing that drooped pic is if you had a sharp impact (coming down off a rock where you were at full droop then dropped right on it) you would end up shearing a bolt or fawking up the shackle or spring.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it is kinda a cool idea, a couple of concerns:
In your full extension, how will it fold back up? I think you need to limit the extension a few degrees on each joint so it will fold up again.
I would also sacrifice the extra extension on your short middle piece and fix one end solid. This will help things line up better when collasped.

Overall I like it, I just think you have a little fine tuning to do, and that looks like an expensive part to make/sell, I wouldn't pay much more than $75 for a super trick shackle, anything more and I would spend the cash on a link setup.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys for the input, i agree that they are asking for a snap from a rock on the top, was thinking of having them in the back, with four link in the front. i also agree that they are probably not profitable to make, otherwise i would have kept the design a secret :) i think they will work tho, and close properly, guess we'll see. i'm getting a copy of structural autocad, will be great for designing shit like this. using adobe illustrator and photoshop right now, i only see the 3D image in my head until it's done. i'll keep you posted on on they work, good or bad, either way.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Bill4rest said:
flippyswiviltwisty shackles suck.
amen,

If you want more twist side to side do what I did and put a jonny joint on the frame instead of a bushing I can max the jonny joint out and it doesnt act funny on the trail, I used to have double shackles like you see on toyotas all the time (which I didnt want to put on in the first place) and they sucked, of course I had no shocks :flipoff2: but i think it still would sucked with them, plus I would pull a tire before they would come off the frame, Im sure it would be a little different with these, but imagine going down a steep hill and those things unload :eek: or when you start hopping :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
YotaAtieToo said:
Im sure it would be a little different with these, but imagine going down a steep hill and those things unload :eek: or when you start hopping :eek:
I run Missing Links front and rear and have no problems with them, but I think the at reast geometry as well as bushing and shock condition has a lot to do with how they perform too. I have pics of me air born and the links not opening up, (shocks holding the axle for a few seconds) but yet in the trails and rocks they open really nice. I can drive it on the street with no problems and ramp 850 on a 30* ramp.

So long story short I think there is some potential to the idea presented, but it probaly isn't for everyone. I would like to see a set in action before I pass judgement on them.
(Hint hint XTREME4X4PARTS, get a set done that we can check out!)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Very creative to say the least. I've always been one of those people to design things in my head and test it there and then build the final product once. After 2 years of studying suspension design in my head I came up with the ultimate rockcrawling design. Then I felt stupid 6 months later when I got to crawl under a Unimog and there it was!! The axles hung off a pivot central to the vehicle(transfer case) and had a trackbar to keep it underneath the truck. Add flexy springs of almost any type and some shock and your done. I got at least 6 feet wheel travel but the shocks never cycle more than 18 inches. What I mean is I can put a tire 6 feet up and the others are on the ground. this means that just on the front from full stuff to full droop is 36". do the same on the back and you can do it. If I were to jump a ramp and have the axle hang all the way it would only drop 18". But this is a terrible design for jumping as the axle will swing to the side some as it drops because of the trackbar. On a Samurai the axle and tires are heavier than the body and the body is what swings sideways a little. I used to jump the railroad tracks in Opelousas here at 50 MPH and just about freaked out!! Before when I would jump I had conventional leaf springs and the jump was fine. jd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts