Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love the troops. good amount of room, built well, fun to drive, and go great offroad in stock to modified form... untill the running gear goes bad...... trans suck balls i am tossing my to the dogs for $600 im tired of the bs. so just take this as a word of warning if you want the perfect rig get the trooper but toss the trans for something else and save yourself the head ache of rebuilding over and over:mad3:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is your Trooper a 4cyl or v6? If a 6 then yeah they have some problems. But if it is a 4cyl This is the first problem I think I've ever heard of with them. If it is the 2.6 Matt over at indy4x has a good one he'd probably sell real cheap.

Chad

·
Registered
370 Posts
You talking about automatic or manual tranny? The manuals are pretty stout in my experience...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am talking about the 2.8 v6 5 speed manual trans

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i'm going to guess that you have the wrong fluid in this trans

: pop quiz :

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

sorry to let you down but no...
My MUA5 has over 190,000 miles and still going strong.
you better knock on some wood buddy because your treading on karma ground... hope the best to you :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Dude whats up with the sarcastic attitude? We're trying to help. But maybe you were just looking to bitch about something. Obviously you don't want our input.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
sorry to let you down but no...
these transmissions are not known to fail unless you run gear oil in them. even though they are gear driven.......gear oil is the wrong fluid for the trans and the case. period. :(

if you had a failure, that was an exception, not a rule. sorry to hear that.....just wondering what happened to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude whats up with the sarcastic attitude? We're trying to help. But maybe you were just looking to bitch about something. Obviously you don't want our input.
No thats not it, sorry if it sounds that way just down my DD which sucks. Like i said i love troopers just not all the work that has been involved keeping it running.

eventhough it has been around the block a few times i dont see a second rebuild on the trans worth the pennies when it only lasted 36k miles
also i appreciate all the input from all of you
last thread i had was 91 troop problems please help

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
.......... i dont see a second rebuild on the trans worth the pennies when it only lasted 36k miles

BING BING BING

winner winner...................there is your problem right there. you never said that your "rebuilt" trans went out. :rolleyes:

:stirthepot:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
since then fixed one of the problems and the other grinding in forth seemed to almost dissapear.
now the breakage story: went up river to go hiking on the way back driving i saw my shifter start shaking a bit :confused: so i slow down a bit and roll up all windows to listen and hear nothing wrong accelling and de.. so away we go then i hear a sound like a blinder with bolts inside on low:eek: so im trying to pull it out of gear brake and get off the road right then SMACK my hand gets hit of the shifter and the engine shuts off abruptly (i couldnt get it out of gear it was like something was on the other end saying NO)
Now that everyting is off i can get it out of gear np i tried starting it in neutral and it starts but sound a bit wierd not engine but sounds from behind.
I put it in first and let the clutch out easily and NO GO..... more gas:D got a creep forward but that is it
no oil on ground but small amount of smoke comming out of throw out bearing. So thats where its at got draged home and now sits in drive way looking great and i want to drive so bad but cant :crybaby2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BING BING BING

winner winner...................there is your problem right there. you never said that your "rebuilt" trans went out. :rolleyes:

:stirthepot:
ok TrooperRS i know your a great guy so what did i win????
please dont say a blowin trans

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
don't get pissed......i'm just asking.............:D

did you actually put the current fluid into the trans and T-case or did the shop...........what i am getting at is......do you know for certian what fluid is in it?

just asking :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no worries bud im not an angry man LOL but it has a trial with my troop
but i used 80 w as suggested by my haynes manual

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
BINGO

so there you have it........i win.

the trans and t-case uses 5w30 motor oil. only. that is the cause of your failure.

again sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why in the world would the HOW TO GUIDE tell me to put a gear oil in there?

and why would it last 30 k miles with the wrong oil if it was perfectly fine b4??

also in the haynes it does say 5-30 for the tcase and for the trans it says 80-90w:confused:

Haynes needs to go DOWN :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just dont see it being that but your more knowledgeable than i am with the troopers

i think that 4th broke some teeth and they went around that transmission case causing the blend with bolts noise

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

:homer: DOH!

the only failures i have heard of are from putting gear oil in the trans.

It is too heavy and will not circulate...just sits in the bottom.................soooo....then all kinds o' shit can take place as the gears are starved for oil. generates a LOT of heat = :nuke: SUCH AS...your gear grenading.

Now of course i haven't seen the inside of your trans.........but, i do believe regardless of what the outcome was, the root cause was the fluid.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts