Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my basic info what I have on my TJ, RE long arms 5.5", 1.25" BL, 4.0L, and NV3550.

I installed clock ring onto Dana 300.
The 6 bolts that slide into tranny are a good fit but one problem; it's hitting the tub or hanging too low (RE skid cant bolt on).
I could not turn the clock ring next to notch that i want, cuz that notch hole is for the bolts that go into the Dana 300 ARGH!!

How the heck did you do that without the problem like mine ?

I dont want 2" BL.

Thanks!
YEOW! (the Yoda :D ! )

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Get a BFH and bash the tub in a little to make it fit.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Yeow, not sure if I'm reading your post right but if the notch you want is the notch that the d300 bolts to can't you just remove the clocking ring and bolt them directly to each other?

Not sure about a NV3500 but with the AX15 you have to ovalize a couple holes even with a clocking ring.

And- Dont be afraid of the hammer and air chisel- they are your friends :D You should see the hole I had to cut to clock a flipped d300 for my XJ:eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm running a similar set-up. 4.0 to NV3550 to Klune to flipped D300 on a RE 5.5 long arm with 1" BL. I could not fit a mount under the D300 and therefore had to fashion a mount using 2 pieces of rubber and enlarged holes in the skid. Second, the angle was so flat and the D300 so close to the skid when flat that I had to sawz-all off the front lip on the skid to prevent the tranny from hitting it. Third, the D300 hit the body. I had to use a bfh to dent it up and when that didn't work, I had to sawz-all out a chunk of floor board to allow the vent tube of the D300 to clear. The vent hose now resides in my center console.

I agree, the air chisel and sawz-all are you friend. By taking a few chunks out just behind the seat, I was able to keep my flat skid.

The main issue with the RE kit is the flat skid.....

Doc

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to cut small square of the bottom of metal sheet on TJ floor board but i was told it was not good idea.

Johann,

I like your idea but how about this, leave clock ring on D300 and buy 6 longer bolts to bolt onto tranny ?
Dont you think it will effect some problem?

Thanks!
YEOW!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Johann said:

Not sure about a NV3500 but with the AX15 you have to ovalize a couple holes even with a clocking ring.

Not with his ring you dont the pattern is off set so that it lines up with a flip kit.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Blitzed I assume you sell one that way? Good to know for the next time:D

Looks like I should have done a little more looking to find a ring that was designed to work with a flipped 300. It would have been nice not to do all that work to the holes on the tranny- PITA

Yeow- I'm still a little murky on the detail you are talking about. Are you talking flipped or not?

If the pattern of the tranny holes match up with the studs on the d300 at the clocked angle you desire- no ring is needed for alignment But might be needed for spacing
The DEO kit has you trim off the front input housing and install a sealed bearing to shorten the assembly for use with the AX15

I assume this is an issue flipped or not. Are you using a 7/8" clocking ring? I believe that is the thickness required if you don't trim the housing. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in and set me straight if I am wrong.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes my D300 is flipped by DEO, and no i didnt trim down so my clock ring i think is 3/8" (or 7/8") I have to check mine :rolleyes: !

The 6 holes that Dana 300 bolt into tranny are good.

My main concern is clearence issue between RE skid (flat ski) and the TJ tub like what Rockdoc said.

I will try use BFH as hard as hell i can :) and maybe try to cut "U" shape then wack it upward w/ BFH and flip the tranny mount skid (RE) so it will sit a bit lower.

Again, i was told its not good idea to cut the metal sheet under the TJ.

YEOW!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Not a good idea structurally? Or asthetically? :D

A small hole isn't a big deal. My problem was my small hole kept getting bigger and bigger. I'd trim a little and say now it'll fit- raise the crossmember go hmmm maybe a little more right here and all of a sudden you have a big hole.

For me it's no big deal since I've got the metal working tools to plate back over it. I've heard some worry about tunnel work on unibodies but there is still a pretty solid tunnel- the gear shift access plate just got twice as big! The nice thing is I have complete access to the top plate and the linkage without having to drop the crossmember or pull the tcase

I don't have much experience with TJ's but well placed hammer blows solve alot of clearance issues.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I trimmed my TJ floor a bit with an Atlas and RE LA combo. I've since changed the clocking and moved to a poly trans mount (clocked down t-case and the mount raises the t-case to provide more clearance between skid and tub). Here's a link to the post I put up, I just had to trim a little:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106607&highlight=floorboard+trim

Would you have enough room to do something similar? By allowing the t-case to sit higher with a poly mount or some sort of spacer underneath the mount, you may have enough room to clock the t-case down some. I'm guessing it's under the driver's seat that you have interference, if not then this is no good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tranny mount:

After the D300 hit the tub so I clocked D300 down but the problem is that '00 TJ stock tranny mount is in the way,(D300 front yoke side, bottom of case hit/push tranny mount down on the side, even I trimmed some metal off as per Atlas) so its impossibly to bolts (4) onto tranny and attach to cat conv (hanger).

Whenever i have time, i ll be under the TJ and figure it out w/ your advices.

I really apperection with your help/advices.

Thanks,
YEOW

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Jaffer,
Hhhhholy Moly LOL! Are you gonna leave it open and wheeling in the mud or cross river eh?

I will buy some washers (spacer) for tranny mount to clear between bottom of case and tranny mount.I hope :) .

Thanks!
YEOW!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Here I thought I was being all badass for cutting what I did :flipoff2:

Nice access Blitzed :D

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts