Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, we got a HO 305 in our street truck, its a 79 2wd. stepside, the block is factory.....
we recently put a frame under it, and doing so we changed the dome and carb. now that its all together except the box, it won't start, it'll buck, but only when we pour gas into the carb. timing looks ok, carb is squarting a nice jet, everything looks good......
any ideas??? its a 2bbl carb too btw.
thanks for any help.
-Mike

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
1. If the carb is squirting a good flow - you are probably good on the fuel side of the equation.

2. I would try to fool with the ignition. Your base timing is probably off. Pull the #1 plug - find top dead center (it will push air out if you hold your finger over the spark plug hole - and coincide with the timing marks on the front dampner) - then pull the distributor cap to make sure that the rotor is actually pointing directly at the #1 spark plug terminal. If it isn't, loosen and adjust the distributor until it does.

3. Make sure that your spark plug wires are in the correct firing order and going the correct way around the distributor cap - Fords are different from Chevy's - both in the firing order and in the numbering system for each plug - make sure you know what you have and it is right. (Cylinder head that sticks out the farthest forward is #1)

4. Try again -- If it still just pops - one or several things - the timing chain is not right - making the cam out of time -- the distrubutor is still not exactly correct - try moving it a bit while you are trying to start it -- the coil is bad - no spark - try another coil -- you have seriously flooded it - hold the throttle all the way down when you crank it.

5. If it is a computer controlled engine - all bets are off...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Starting fluid would tell you if the engine runs properly. If not, you probably have ignition/timing issues covered already.

Also, a squirt in the carb does not absolutely prove adequate fuel supply. You might still run the supply hose into a container while running the starter motor. This would avoid the need for starting fluid.

Walt<><

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, the motor is a 79, its in the truck, and all together, all fuel lines and wiring are all hooked up...... timing looks to be right.... its on its compression stroke, and pointing at #1..... lots of spark too......

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, btw, the motor is comming out of this truck to be replaced with a 250 I6..... dad is tired of fucking with it cause it won't go and he has a completely rebuilt 6 in the garage that runs perfect..... but this 305 is going into my truck that i'm bringing home next week, so i need it to start.... gotta love free a free motor while i wait to find a good 427 or 454..... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It takes 3 things happening in the right order and at the right time to fire an engine.

1. Spark
2. Fuel
3. Compression

If you have spark, fuel, and compression, then the issue is when they are happening - or in what order they are happening. I have seen people really mess up spark plug wires - wiring them around the cap in the wrong order, or calling the cylinders something other than what the factory numbers them (I've done that one myself - after working on Chevy's for a long time, I got to do a Ford motor and I forgot that the #1 is on the other bank - and that Ford numbers their cylinders 1357 - 2468 instead of 1234 - 5678.

I'd check everything again, and like someone else said - the vacuum lines and the amount/psi of the fuel. You could also be flooding the beast - that happens when the needle and seat in the carb are shot and it just pours the fuel into the engine. Also, have you checked the choke? Does it stay open or closed? What happens when you try closing it when you crank the engine?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the carb is all rebuilt, and works good, nice steady spray of gas........
once this hurican or what ever the fawk is going on outsdie stops i'll take a look at the plug wires, i can't see him fucking them up since he's been working on them for so long but its possible.....
thanks guys.
-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts