Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went and looked at a 1980 Scout II. 345 4-speed 4bbl d300 (I checked). 3 something gears, couldn't read it all. recent radiator. AIR pump, A/C, plastic gas tank.

had been undercoated at some time. frame is pretty solid except where too much of a pull off the rear bumper that was bolted to that rear cross member. twisted.

All the glass is great, NO DENTS. normal big patches of rust were repaired with steel plate.

missing rear window and frame (I have spares)

Dash is very nice. windows roll good. locks work. door panels are nice. Floor of body is rusted. Some holes.

He is asking 600. I haven't seen it run. probably gonna check it out tomorrow.

whattaya think?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
that to me is worth the glass and some spare parts... then you got that D300 thats there too... and those J&*p guys like those dana 44 axles $$

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Tow what? If you're talking about trying to use it tow your 9383 lb. pig you're building now, I wouldn't. SII's are too short in the wheelbase and a D44 SF with Set 10 bearings is a poor choice of axle to put that kind of load on.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tow what? If you're talking about trying to use it tow your 9383 lb. pig you're building now, I wouldn't. SII's are too short in the wheelbase and a D44 SF with Set 10 bearings is a poor choice of axle to put that kind of load on.
Gm 12-bolt would go in the rear actually. Probably not going to be a tow "rig" though it may get used for short trips or tow baring my s10 around.

I think I'm gonna head out and see if I can get it started. the thermoquad scares me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Trouble? You can get $550 for the T-case alone. Sounds like plenty of other good parts on there. Scrap here is $110 ton for sheetmetal, $120 for thick unprepared, $140 for thick prepared. Go for it.

Nathan

Larboc- What are you doing this weekend? Extreme Offroaders and WOHVA is having a pipeline clean-up day in Mountain. Welcome to come with. I'll wait by the phone......

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Trouble? You can get $550 for the T-case alone.
please explain how a scout d300 is worth $550...is there THAT much difference between one of those, and the typical $100 jeep d300 I can find?

Paul, doesn't sound too shabby but why not put just buy it to part it out, and put the money into the scoutzall? Thats what I'd do...I think you have enough on your plate trying to get your build done before January than to try and put together another one.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
please explain how a scout d300 is worth $550...is there THAT much difference between one of those, and the typical $100 jeep d300 I can find?

Paul, doesn't sound too shabby but why not put just buy it to part it out, and put the money into the scoutzall? Thats what I'd do...I think you have enough on your plate trying to get your build done before January than to try and put together another one.

1) Yes, there is quite a difference. Search. I figured as a jeep boy you would know about the coveted scout d300.

2) I would just get this one running and DD it until I have time to throw in the other axles.

I just checked it out again, it has the wide ratio t-19. supposed to run, but needs carb work.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
1) Yes, there is quite a difference. Search. I figured as a jeep boy you would know about the coveted scout d300.

2) I would just get this one running and DD it until I have time to throw in the other axles.

I just checked it out again, it has the wide ratio t-19. supposed to run, but needs carb work.
Nope. Never heard anything about the 'coveted' scout d300. Then again, if I were to run a d300 it would not be stock, so that really isn't a concern to me.

Gotchya.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
and all I can find on the scout 300 is that it has a 'texas' bolt pattern, whatever that means. i have found nothing on the internals being different. maybe i suck at searching, i don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Ok. I also found that it is shorter by a little bit. I still see no reason it is so sought after. Please enlighten.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you decide not to do it.....send me a PM. I've been looking for a T-19/D300 that I don't have to pay a mint in shipping. Sounds like a good deal. Can't be to far away if your in WI as well...

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
and all I can find on the scout 300 is that it has a 'texas' bolt pattern, whatever that means. i have found nothing on the internals being different. maybe i suck at searching, i don't know.
Got a Jeep with a T18/ dana 20 and want to put a D300 on it:shaking:

I bought a 1980 and the P.O at some point sold the D300 and had the D20 installed, check to see which side the speedo cable is on, or look for a flat oil pan cover.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fired up first try with a little carb spray. PS hose leaks, run's rich, leaks earl from valley pan and valve covers.

coolant leak at t-stat housing.

the thermostatic crap all moves around and works. no exhaust leaks.

26 bucks for a ps hose
13 for a carb kit
8 bucks for some valve cover gaskets.

he came down to 500 bucks without me making an offer.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a Jeep with a T18/ dana 20 and want to put a D300 on it:shaking:

I bought a 1980 and the P.O at some point sold the D300 and had the D20 installed, check to see which side the speedo cable is on, or look for a flat oil pan cover.
It's quite not flat, but it is MUCH more shallow than the scout D20. The bronco D20 cover however is made from a flat plate.

I have heard that not all 1980 skouts came with D300's stock.

...and I have confirmed that this truck has a d300, t-427 Wide ratio and 3.07 geers.

The clutch didn't engage till the last 2" or so of travel. normal?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts