Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im loggin in under a friends name cause for some reason i cant post anymore, after changing my email. so its really tanman2003 . anyway my 85 4runner starts up fine, fuel pump works, no check engine codes, ran totaly fine untill i jumped the fuel pimp check thing and adjusted the clutch play. now when i try to go up a hill it wants to stall no matter how hard i push the gas . also it stumbles a little at iddle, and there is a notice able hesitation when blipping the throttle(whn i do it by hand on the throttle body. dont know how much pressure im getting at the pump though. please help :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
have you checked your timing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
might wanna check your fuel filter first and make sure its flowing, cheap fix and probably needs to be done anyway. You might wanna look at your spark plugs too, you'll know by the way they look if the timing is off, you're burning oil, burning water, burning hot, etc.

Could be about a hundred things. Could be your timing, distributor, exhaust clog...

probably not it, but is it an auto? if it is check your rpms when it starts to do that and if it's low the torque converter may be going out if the stall isn't downshifting.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
the fuel filter has about 500 miles on it, it ran fine a for a while then i guess the tank went bone dry and maybe there was some crap that got sucked up and maybe the fuel filter screen is clogged, does this sound possible? the timing is fine i think cause it was running fine after the rebuild that was like 400 miles ago. its an 85 5spd 4runner

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
on second thought ill try the exhaust clog, but i dont think thats it, ill just unbolt the cat and see how it runs. anyone else got any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
my trusty FSM is telling me that for a problem like this its the clutch(which is new) the brake (which i doubt) vacuum leaks(i sprayed all lines and connections with brake cleaner no change in rpm) check diagnosis system (no codes) check ign spark(got that) check timing(will do soon but doubt it) check fuel pressure ( i have not put a guage to it, but i took off the feed line and turned the pump on and was splashed with good pressure:D)

im stumped:(

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
BBRocky said:
i jumped the fuel pimp check thing and adjusted the clutch play:(

Why did you jump the fuel check plug to adjust the clutch? Did you forget to remove the jumper?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Rescue said:
Why did you jump the fuel check plug to adjust the clutch? Did you forget to remove the jumper?

ha ha i know it sound bad, but i jumped the connector to cure a hard start problem, it seems fuel pump diddnt want to start immediately
(it was an idea from 4crawler no blaming him tough). yes the connector is off now. and it starts pretty good, just dosent run good, has no power up hill, wants to stall even in first gear. also bliping the throttle by hand, dosent seem too resposive, kind of like a hesitation.

im prettysure its not the timing though. :(

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
tanman2003 said:
ha ha i know it sound badQUOTE]

It is probably real bad! Well I mean real hard to find... Eliminate the fuel pump right away, take it out and inspect it. I doubt very much its a clogged filter. You have a filter on the pump as well. Check the rubber tubing ( on the pump itself) if its not ruptured.

If it's ok then its surely a vacuum leak, a sensor, a relay or bad contact.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
i with rescue on this, i think its either a clogged strainer (below the fuel pump) or a rotted out rubber line by the fuel pump also. I wish there was a better way like a pressure check but i don't know of way to check pressure on a 22re with a guage.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
yeah i bought a strainer haven put it in yet. the FSM says some thing about using a special service tool on the banjo fitting where the cold start injector is, but F that.

thanks for the replys:D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
took off the cat(its really loud and sounds like ass:D
no change,
changed the strainer, old one looked fine but i changed anyway, and now it runs like a champ:D so thanks for the help
thank god i have a 4runner:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts