Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 22re

At first it was just hard starting, would take a while spitter sputter, give it some gas and it would get going. It is fine when driving. Cold morning starts are fine, Only happens after it is warmed up.

The other day it did it and I noticed i had under 1/4 tank of gas. Had to pop the clutch to get going. Filled it up no problems afterwards. ??

Did it again yesterday tried to start it for 15 minutes. No go. jumped fuel pump, fuel pump is running, didnt help.

Finally got it jumping and missing after countless rough starts and dying. Got itrunning and it had NO power, rough idle.No mis firing) smooth lack of power. Nursed it home. I had under 1/4 tank then too. Stopped at gas station filled her up. Started right up and power is back.???

Dont know if something was clogged for the power loss the last time, and restarting fixed it, or if it is a low gas situation. Something with the pump. Going to run it low again and see if it is only when low on gas, Leaning towards something acting up in the tank.

Any ideas. Hit 200,000 yesterday and hasn't left me stranded YET.

Didnt notice any code pop up when doing it, but it had 13 and 25 stored. Here are the codes. And it has been below freezing regularly.

RPM SIGNAL-NO SIGNAL TO ECU FROM DISTRIBUTOR ("Ne" OR "G") AFTER ENGINE HAS BEEN CRANKED
--DISTRIBUTOR/CIRCUIT

--STARTERSIGNAL CIRCUIT

--IGNITER/IGNITER CIRCUIT

--ECU

--
SAME AS ABOVE BUT AFTER ENGINE HAS RUN AT 1,000-1,500 RPM
--DISTRIBUTOR/DISTRIBUTOR CIRCUIT

--ECU

AIR/FUEL RATIO LEAN INDICATOR--LEAN SIGNAL SENT TO ECU FROM O2 SENSOR
--INJECTOR FAULT(S)

--FUEL PRESSURE

--OXYGEN SENSOR

--AIRFLOW METER OR MAP SENSOR

--IGNITION

--ECU

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bad gas in tank?
Needs new fuel filter?
Just guesses...
Maybe try keeping the tank at least half full, and using some dry gas type thing would help???

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been 2 different gas stations so if it is bad gas it is everybodys. Fuel filter near new, tune up done, only thing never replaced is fuel pump and o2 sensor. Buddy was thinking crack in the lien above the fuel pump and it is only acting up when fuel is below that line and sucking air, Dont know why it would only affect start up. Runs fine typically. Even with low gas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
All it takes is one fill with bad gas. The symptoms can last. To me this sounds like typical case of water in the gas getting frozen in the cold. That doesn't mean it might not be something else. Try a couple of bottles of dry gas. It can't hurt and is cheaper and easier than replaing the fuel pump or cat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
those sound like codes for a bad igniter assembly. It sends a converted signal from the distributer to the ecm and the codes sometimes send you chasing a distributer or circuit problem. It also basicaly "confirms " that there has been an "ignition event" ie, a coil firing so if its misfiring and you have a lean misfire it might be from the ecm not switching the injectors at the right time. It still might be a fuel problem, start there and move on to the more expesive parts after you ruled those out good luck

·
Registered
609 Posts
just thought of something else simple to check- on the airflow sensor housing ther is a ground wire (brown with black) that should be checked to ground if it is more than a couple of ohms then you should check the ground wires bolted to the upper intake manifod bolts, in the back , where it bolts to the lower intake. also check the movement of the door in the airflow sensor and make sure it moves smooth if it doesn't then have a buddy move it open and try to start it then. If that works then you can always try to open up the sensor housing and oil it with some dielectric penetrating oil. At my work we got this stuff called pierce and its awsome for spraying on wet dist caps and wires to cure arcing to gound. Winzer sells it

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to look into those other things. Fuel dosent seem to be the problem now. Did it with full gas now.

Definetly only when warm and I turn it off for 15 minutes or so and get back in it does it. Never when cold start injector is on. Noticed cold start injector dosent stay on long at all lately either and it is 15 degrees out side. Should stay on for a minute or two.

I hate diagnostics. :mad:

anybody else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts