Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read my sig first, then the rest of the post will be in context.

My insurance policy (21st century) is going to figure out a "fair market value" for my vehicle (using autotrader and maybe some other stuff) and then tack on whatever amount of my $2k in "extra equipment" coverarge they feel I can justify. The biggest problem is that the don't want to value major upgrades (like the new engine it got) if they're older than 1 year. Most of the upgrades/things that add value to the car are older than one year...

My truck has 250k mi on it and was in near-perfect condition (engine/interior were all perfect, paint was mediocre). The engine only had 150k on it. That's a big selling point that can turn a $3000 87 4runner into a $4500 87 4runner (what I bought it for a year ago).

Another option that the small print of my policy allows is for me to get an appraiser, and then they will look at my appraiser's report. They reserve the right to get their own appraiser if they don't like my answer, and then we fight to the death over who's value gets used.

ANYWAYS...I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/luck getting a truck appraised and how much it cost. I figure best case scenario for my truck, the base is values at like $3500-3800 and I get close to all of the $2000 in extra equip. Worst case, they value the truck at like $3k and give me no extra equipment coverage. In reality, if I were to sell it, I would guess it would be worth around $4.5k

Finally, while I'm getting close to being the reigning expert on the subject (I also had a 91 yj stolen in '02...it was recovered). Is there anyone who can recommend an insurance company? I know everyone has a "I got screwed story", but are there any good results? The Yj I had stolen and recovered-partially stripped. Farmers was willing to replace anything that I had a receipt for. The 85 4Runner that was stolen, they figured out the value of a base 85 4runner with 180k miles and then added the $4k in "extra equipment" coverage that I had. "Extra equip" on it was definitely worth more than that, if I had had 5k in coverage, (the max you can get) I would have saturated that, too. In the end, I got like $7200 for my '85, which was about what it was worth on the market, but definitely nowhere near what I had into it.

Here's a pic of the 87 that just got stolen, just for context.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
GEt together as many receipts as you can. Even if they are receipts from freinds who bought a similar stereo to the one you had in it. Then be a giant PIA of whoever you get to deal with. We had an 85 my wife rolled a couple years ago. I think it took 6 weeks or something stupid. But we went from 1900 minus 500 deduct, and 500 buy back, for a 900 check. To 3200, same buyback, and got a check for 2200 and kept the runner. It wa a pin, and they fought us every step. We got right to the point of getting an apprasal but didnt. Problem with apprasals is this: Dealers dont know or care about aftermarket. And 4x4 shops really dont do apprasals. We tried during and after to get someone to give us a number. Everyone we tried said they couldnt do it, since they didnt know what they were doing on modified vehicles. Just be a pain, and call ema every day. Tell em you want a check for X amount ( a little over what you think youll get) and settle in for a nice long battle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Reciepts are necessary. I was in a accident and was first offered 1300. I got it appraised and gave them all the reciepts and did battle for 3 months and finally got 3900. I did have to settle for a salvage tag but I am not going to sell it anyway. I did have a 4x4 shop estimate what it would take to fix the truck, and also estimate what it would take to get a stock 86 blazer to the condition that my truck was in at the time of the accident. Between the numbers the shop gave them and the comprable vehicles I showed them from here and ck5.com they thought they were lucky to get off that cheap by the end of it all.
I still have it and was able to do a lot of work to it with the $:) the waiting is what sucked the most. But in the end it was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm insured with GEICO. When I inquired with them about insuring my FJ40 for an appraised value, vice nada/blue book values, they gave me an appraiser they approved of already. Turned out to be a local K-Mart auto repair shop!

I'd bet you need to have your ins co. provide you their pre-approved appraiser local to you. Otherwise, you might pay for an appraisal from an appraisor your ins co. doesn't approve of.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I totalled my 94 Bronc in Feb. Ins company started out w/ 3900 and them keep the truck. I balked, as this was rape. Eventually got 5500 and the truck. Plus 45 days worth of storeage at $18 a day.

And no I did not feel guilty that I failed to infrom him that it was my family's body shop. The look on his face after telling him was quite funny though.

If you can be patient and have ALL the reciepts you need for your value, just wait them out, call the home office and start complaining.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not what you want to hear but...

The lesson here for everyone: If you can't afford to live without it or replace it, INSURE IT NOW. As the popularity of our sport grows we will see more and more trucks stolen- we already are

You already know that none of us can ever get "what we have in it" back when we sell or lose a rig so just concentrate on getting a fair settlement or you'll kill yourself.

Here is what I learned when mine got stolen. If it doesn't help you hopefully it will someone else:

You're gonna have a tough time getting an appraisal on a vehicle you don't have in your posession. I am with allstate and had a "stated value" policy on my FJ. I had to pay for and provide them a copy of the vehicle appraisal PRIOR to them starting the coverage. I was able to hire whoever I wanted, but my buddy who is in insurance (Not Allstate) said that was rare- usually they send someone out or you bring the vehicle in or have to pay someone the insurance company approves. Regardless of who you use, show up with some classified/internet ads of comparable rigs. Most appraisers deal with new junk and don't really have a clue about specialty vehicles and if you show up with a bunch of pictures and ads and say "Here are some similar trucks with similar mods, this is what they are selling for, this is why I think this truck should appraise for $xxxx. It will take me at least that much to replace it." As long as your not way off the mark they will pretty much go with whatever you can substantiate. It is really just a safety to verify that you do have what you say you have. In your casel, without your own rig there for the appraiser to compare to, its pretty much how much the adjuster wants to believe. They hear alot of "Yea, it had brand new spinner rims, and a solid gold steering wheel, Oh yeah! and Tiger Woods golf clubs in the trunk! "

My truck appraised at $8500 and that is what the insurance company gave me (less deductable) when it was stolen. They already had a copy of the appraisal on file. Allstate was pretty good about the settlement- they did say at one point something like "We have to wait and see what our adjuster says the market value of your vehicle is before we can cut a check." My buddy in insurance had warned me that they will always test the waters and see if they think they can settle for less- its their job. As long as you are firm and polite it usually stops there and you get your check- its not their money and they want to get the claim off their desk. He did say that in some cases, when people were real jerks or extremely beligerent with him he would just say fine and turn it over to legal with a really low settlement just to dick them. So when Allstate came back with there comment about "market value" I was like wait, I have been paying for a stated value policy for three years, insure 2 other cars and a home with you, and have an appraisal on file, I need the whole value covered- I can show your adjuster comparable vehicles for sale and sold above the stated value of $8500, will you payout over $8500 if that is the case? In the end, I had to wait like 14days to see if it was recovered and then they had the check. I was relatively happy.

Good luck man!! I know your pain! Mine was stolen 2 weeks after I had dropped a freshly BUILT 383 stroker in after an 8month rebuild/retrofit. Someone watched me build and install that motor in my carport and as soon as I was able to a few burnouts around the neighborhood, they came and took it. Really thought I would get it back less drivetrain.

I know it sucks. Best of luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah...by the way, this is actually the THIRD vehicle I've had stolen in 3 years. My next vehicle is going to require a retinal scan to start...

...This looks like this is going to be pretty rough. I realized last night that I don't have any of the records from this truck. I found the number of the guy I bought if from and I'm trying to see if for some reason he still has any of the records on it. I remember when I bought it he said he did, I just forgot to get them when I picked it up...praying for a good result there...

I bought it a year ago and I added a new front diff with 4.88's, the rear e-locker and some 3" rear springs and shackles to replace the stiff 4" ones that were on it. I got the e-locker and springs from a dude Named Randy Thio in Irvine...in case anyone knows him. I was going to try to contact him and get some kind of receipt printed up.

Does anyone have any recomendations as to what you should do for private-party transactions in this context? Most parts deals are done with a pile of cash and a handshake or maybe a paypal transaction, but there's usually no itemized receipt...If we print up some kind of signed "bill of sale," they should take that, right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hear about loosing your rig.

Insurance companies live by documentation and screw you by lack of it.

They are always going to insist on documenting the value and the actual proof that the parts were on your truck. Invoices from a private individual are not considered good documentation. Also just because you paid $1000.00 for something that was put on your truck, it doesn't mean it added $1000.00 value to your truck. As an example, in some cases a lift kit added can subtract value. The average retail buyer may not want to buy a lifted/modified truck which makes it harder to sell and therefore worth less.

Also anything that is maintenance, like brakes, services etc. Are all things that are needed to keep your vehicle in retail condition and therefore rarely add value.

But a recent rebuilt motor, rebuilt trans., complete re-paint or better than stock wheels and tires. Can almost always add value if you can document it.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
Holy old posts, Batman!

I was wondering why someone was posting about vehicles stolen in '03 and '04 and was about to say "fat chance" of getting anything out of insurance at this point...

·
Registered
741 Posts
While it is up here: I got a 12000 agreed value policy on a 76 F150from AAA of Ca. They didn't ask for a apprisal or any documentation, just the 1 phone call and I was all set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts