Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who make a good tool box at a decent price??? I wold love a Pro-Tech but there a little pricey. What brand do you guys recommend, Im looking for a black in bed box for my Toyota. Something thats hard to brake into!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
hmm. this probably belongs in newbie.

my recommendation is to buy a used box. I was looking at new ones for a while for my superdoodie and just said f' it because they were all $500+ for decent ones. My dad actually ended up talking to his neighbor one day who was getting rid of his superduty to replace it with an '07, and he was selling his box for $125. My dad snagged it and surprised me with it the next time i visited. It didn't fit my bed because it was a longbed box, and hit my wheel wells. I rolled to the welding shop in my hometown and had them notch the corners for $50. They said they do it all the time. The job they did was fantastic for 50 bones So I was out the $50, and pops threw in the rest. It's a really nice VERY heavy gauge chromed diamondplate built by a local guy in SC. Cam locking handles with a railing on the lid for tiedowns. I originally called up the builder to ask him about notching the corners, he said they sell the box for $700. I figure I did ok.

Moral of the story, buy used. check around on craigs list and classifieds.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I just got a pro tec for my psd, been wanting one for a long time, next is the weather guard transfer tank. Paid 666.00 from a place in Susanville when I picked up equipment trailer for work. I just didn't feel like seeing a crappy cheapo ever day when I walked up to my truck.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If I had a brand new truck I would get a brand new box. A brand new box would look a little funny on my multicolored, dented $300 dollar toyota.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've got a better built single lid, super deep box in each of my pickups. They're holding up excellent, except one latch set screw came out and you have to lift both handles to open the lid.

I don't know what either of them cost new, as the one on my dodge was there when I bought the truck. The one in the ford, dad bought for me at a garage sale for like $50. When I put the headache rack on the dodge, I did have the corners bobbed to clear the wheel wells, but its still got a metric fuckton of space inside it.

The pawn shops around here always have a bunch of used tool boxes for sale cheap. IMHO, thats where I'd start lookin if I needed another one.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I just kept searching craiglist. I got a contico white metal box for $30 for my Toyota. It is not pretty but sturdy as hell. This woman bought the truck with the toolbox on it and had no use for the tool box so she sold it cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts