Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be making 2-3 trips from WA to MD with my semi to move all my crap (transfering to Washington DC) and I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with all the permitting/fuel tax BS. I'm not for hire/non commerical moving personal goods only and it's hard to find info or a permit broker that really understands what that means legally. I'm registered in WA but don't have IFTA or any of the IRP registration. I do have a DOT number.

Not sure if I'll do 2 or 3 trips, but all will be in a month or so.

Last trip I was going through OR and had one person tell me I needed a fuel permit and registration, one who said nothing and one who said a trip permit but not fuel permit - all 3 in the DOT licensing office!

Don't really have the time to call each state and ask, but I'm not sure if any brokers are going to understand the non-commerical part. Also not sure I want to deal with stopping at each port of entry unless I have to.

Not registered as an RV, and not really an option since I'm using it for hay, equiptment, etc that obviously isn't an RV type use.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also not sure what's involved in IRP & IFTA registration - would it be worth doing that instead of doing each state trip/fuel permits?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
For those that won't bother to open the link this is an exemption from operating permits and such.

Non-Business Related Transportation of Personal Property Frequently Asked Questions
49 CFR § 390.3(f)(3) “Occasional use” exemption

Question: Does the exemption in § 390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) to transport animals, vehicles or similar items to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: Yes. If a person meets this exemption’s requirements, he or she is not subject to the FMCSRs, including ELD requirements. This exception is explained in FMCSA’s regulatory guidance for § 390.3, question 21.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/agricultural-exceptions-and-exemptions-fmcsa-safety

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those that won't bother to open the link this is an exemption from operating permits and such.

Non-Business Related Transportation of Personal Property Frequently Asked Questions
49 CFR § 390.3(f)(3) “Occasional use” exemption

Question: Does the exemption in § 390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) to transport animals, vehicles or similar items to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: Yes. If a person meets this exemption’s requirements, he or she is not subject to the FMCSRs, including ELD requirements. This exception is explained in FMCSA’s regulatory guidance for § 390.3, question 21.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/agricultural-exceptions-and-exemptions-fmcsa-safety
Concur that the expemption gets me out of logs and HOS regulations, but there still the issue of individual states requiring permits.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Might be easiest to get ifta or irp

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've been planning on hauling my stuff in a 53 ft dry van as soon as my Pete 362 is convertex to a MH via state law of the locality I'm headed, 3-4 trips anywhere from 1250 to 1500 miles each way.

Spoke to commercial enforcement officers at a scale house in northern calif and he said as long as I'm legal in my home state the states in between I wouldn't have issues with.

Yes I will get more than just the word of a calif commercial enforcement Leo before I depart but it does give me some confidence that what I'm planning to do will be legal.

I don't have as many states to traverse as you but if you have a federal exemption why would the states want to monkey with you unless just to be a dick.

Concur that the expemption gets me out of logs and HOS regulations, but there still the issue of individual states requiring permits.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I was told so long as you have a license to haul the weight you have and are using it for personal use only you are in the clear. Wont mean you might not get stopped and asked about it and might have to convince them it is all your junk you have behind you.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Correct IMO...

I had a CDL back in the 80'same and 90's, I don't have a CDL anymore but still have a class "A" which is all I need to pull my stuff no matter the weight over 26001 lbs.

The commercial enforcement of 3 out of 4 states I'll be traveling thru( Didn't get around to asking the 4th, not to be confused with that state saying no) told me that, ditto with fed DOT.

I was told so long as you have a license to haul the weight you have and are using it for personal use only you are in the clear. Wont mean you might not get stopped and asked about it and might have to convince them it is all your junk you have behind you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts