Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised y'all a Wednesday update.....

There is enought bad information floating around that I will not spend time refuting it.

Dealing with LEGAL issues and FACTS that are being addressed in the courts this week.....

1. On Friday Jan 19, CORVA (and OHMVR Division) were served with a TRO to halt the CORVA event at Truckhaven.

2. On Monday Jan 22, Ecologic (David Hubbard) was served with notice to answer a potential "contempt of court" issue as CORVA did not cancel their event and remove event officials from the area.

A court date for that hearing has been set for Friday, Jan 26.

3. The TRO as filed on Jan 19 is focused on the "Freeman Properties" acquisition in Truckhaven area. At this point in time, it is focused on halting EVENTS. Individual use of the area under pre-existing use patterns has not been challenged.

4. Due to the above issues, the Tierra del Sol permit for Desert Safari at Truckhaven is in jeapordy. On Tuesday, Jan 23, TDS officials met to discuss a contingency plan.

5. I met with OHMVR officials today in Sacramento to discuss the TDS contingency plan.

6. The final decision of permit approval will be released on Sunday, Jan 28. That date is contingent upon TDS meeting some defined goals.

It has been a grueling few days. I am doing everything in my power to perserve recreation access to Truckhaven. TDS is doing everything they can to preserve Desert Safari.

Please note: THERE WILL BE CHANGES.

We are in it for the long term access to a great recreation opportunity.
There are expected to be some legal challenges as efforts move forward to develop the long-term management plan for recreation access to the Truckhaven area.

Your financial support will be necessary to preserve your recreation opportunity.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
John, thanks for the update. Your efforts are always appreciated. I would like to highlight something John stated, this is what it boils down to.

"Your financial support will be necessary to preserve your recreation opportunity."

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of about noon, CORVA has been dropped from the lawsuit.

Their potential legal issue is resolved.

The TRO (against State Parks) is still on track to be heard on Friday, Jan 26.

We expect a confirmed answer on the TDS permit soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I would like to thank you for the update on theTDS runs, as it's 1 of my favorits with the So Cal Bronco bunch, and was looking forward to being there for the 5th year in a row, and ANY update would be appreciated

Thanks again,

Danny Bogner
Big Bear
So Cal Broncos

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - Friday Jan 26....

CBD request for TRO was denied at a court hearing in Sacramento today.

INDIVIDUAL recreation use can continue at Truckhaven pending the outcome of a final hearing to be heard within the next 2 months.

EVENTS will not be permited in the Truckhaven area pending the outcome of the final hearing.

What this means....

Individuals can still use the trail system at Truckhaven. Events cannot use the trail system.

Tierra del Sol Desert Safari:

A special recreation permit for Desert Safari has been submitted and received conditional approval (solely within the boundaries of OWSVRA) as of Friday afternoon, Jan 26.

The permit application is required to be noticed to the public for 30 days. During that time, the public is allowed to submit compeling information as to while the event should not be allowed to continue.

Today's hearing was good news. It is not the end of the legal saga. CORVA was dropped as a party to the lawsuit. State Parks (OHMVR Division) is still party to the lawsuit.

An additional lawsuit has been filed. On Thurdsday, Jan 25, RECREATION interests filed suit against the OHMVR Commission for arbitrary and capricious actions.

Please note, legal action is expensive. Your support is important to ensure we have the funding to continue the fight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070126-1422-bn26offroad.html

By Mike Lee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
2:22 p.m. January 26, 2007
Off-road enthusiasts maintained access to a hotly contested recreation site in Imperial County on Friday when a Superior Court judge denied a request by environmentalists to block all four-wheel drives from the area.
State response to environmentalists (PDF)
California Off-Road Vehicle Assoc. response (PDF)
The future of the land – known as both Truckhaven and the “desert Cahuilla property” – remains in legal limbo. Despite the judge's unwillingness to immediately bar off-roaders, the larger and unresolved case involves conservationists' allegations that state officials haven't done proper environmental reviews of the site. The California Department of Parks and Recreation recently acquired the Truckhaven land.

Friday's ruling slows the momentum for environmentalists, who were able to force the cancellation of a major off-road event at the same site last weekend. However, uncertainty about access to the area already has prompted organizers of one of the nation's largest off-road gatherings to move their March “safari” to a different location.

Disputes over off-roading have simmered for years in California, but the fight over Truckhaven marks an escalation of tensions. Off-roaders are furious about accusations that they skirted the law and conservationists are angry that the off-roaders are allegedly damaging natural resources, including habitat for endangered bighorn sheep.

“We can go forward with good land planning and work to preserve and protect special places within this acquisition at the same time,” said Roy Stearns, State Parks spokesman.
“We do not believe there will be any further harm to the environment beyond what has already occurred” from off-road vehicle use before State Parks purchase the land, he said.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have spent almost two hours on the phone on two occasions with the reporter. I hope the printed version is more descriptive of the issues!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070127-9999-7m27offroad.html

the article is a little longer today.

Judge bars foes' bid to block access to state-owned land

By Mike Lee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
January 27, 2007

Off-road enthusiasts maintained access to a hotly contested recreation site in Imperial County yesterday, when a judge denied a request by environmentalists to immediately bar their vehicles from the area.

The future of the land – known as both Truckhaven and the “desert Cahuilla property” – remains in legal limbo.

The larger and unresolved case involves conservationists' allegations that California State Parks officials didn't do proper environmental reviews when they acquired about 4,000 acres of the site in September.

Yesterday's ruling by Superior Court Judge Gail D. Ohanesian in Sacramento slows the momentum for environmental groups, which were able to force the cancellation of a major off-road event at the same site last weekend.

However, uncertainty about access to the area has prompted organizers of one of the nation's largest off-road gatherings to move their March “safari” to a different location.

After the ruling, State Parks officials said they would continue to require permits for events on the property while they develop a land-use plan for it. A lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity, one of the groups that sued, said that's a good step.
“What we are really seeking is interim protection of the resources,” said Lisa Belenky in San Francisco. “It's taken (State Parks) a very long time.”

David Hubbard, an attorney for the California Off-Road Vehicle Association in Escondido, said that he was heartened by yesterday's decision, but that “there is still work to be done” to maintain off-road access.

State Parks spokesman Roy Stearns also was pleased by the ruling.

“We can go forward with good land planning and work to preserve and protect special places within this acquisition at the same time,” he said. “We do not believe there will be any further harm to the environment beyond what has already occurred” before the state owned the land.

Disputes over off-roading have simmered for years in California, but the current fight marks an escalation of tensions.

The properties purchased by State Parks are part of a checkerboard ownership pattern in a much larger area. The State Lands Commission and the Anza-Borrego Foundation own parcels nearby.

Conservationists want the entire area added to the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park with the goal of protecting sheep habitat, palm oases and historical American Indian sites.

Off-roaders generally don't mind if sections of Truckhaven are off-limits, but they aim to keep riding trails that they say they have been using for decades. The area's terrain offers some of the most challenging four-wheel drives in California, they say.

The current uproar was sparked last week when the Center for Biological Diversity and the Desert Protective Council filed legal papers to stop the 12th annual Truckhaven Challenge.

In response, the California Off-Road Vehicle Association dropped its request for a permit and officially canceled its program.

David Hogan, San Diego-based conservation manager for the biological center, showed up at the site last Saturday and said he saw “the best-organized and best-attended so-called canceled event that I have ever witnessed.”

Hubbard responded in court papers that such accusations were “flat wrong.”

Regardless, the flare-up quickly worked in the environmentalists' favor. Tierra Del Sol, a large four-wheel-drive club in San Diego, has decided to move its annual March event from Truckhaven to the nearby Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area. Its Desert Safari attracted about 18,000 people last year.

“We are in this for long run, and we are willing to do what we can to support the continued existence of off-road recreation in that area,” said John Stewart, a consultant who works with off-road groups on resource issues. “If that means we have to wait until the state does . . . the environmental documentation, then fine.”

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
So, judging by reading that article, is it safe to say that TDS is officially moved to ocotillo wells? Got directions of where we are going to be there, exactly?
Scott

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So, judging by reading that article, is it safe to say that TDS is officially moved to ocotillo wells? Got directions of where we are going to be there, exactly?
Scott
Headquarters will be just off Main St and Hwy 78. More info will be posted up on our website shortly. Any questions just let us know we will be more than glad to get the info for you.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Headquarters will be just off Main St and Hwy 78. More info will be posted up on our website shortly. Any questions just let us know we will be more than glad to get the info for you.
And can I ask where Main st is? :D

I went and looked at the "New" map even and its very blurry but still cant see a "main st"

SO will ALL the activities take place in OW or will there be use of the truckhaven area? I have never been to OW, what is the terrain like?
Ok few more questions if you , or anyone cares to answer...

So, RV's are welcome I take it to OW? Are there fee's? Will it be easy to find while driving there (Main St).

Fires? Are they ok? Designated areas only?? Or open?

I read theres a dump station there? Is there fee's for that?

I am sure I will have lots more, but dont know where to ask them?? TDS is only a month away and to have over 1500 rigs poss register (who knows now?) It sure seems to have a move of this magnitude they would have a area, or site or page dedicated to FAQ or such?

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts

I went and looked at the "New" map even and its very blurry but still cant see a "main st"

SO will ALL the activities take place in OW or will there be use of the truckhaven area? I have never been to OW, what is the terrain like?

So, RV's are welcome I take it to OW? Are there fee's? Will it be easy to find while driving there (Main St).

I am sure I will have lots more, but dont know where to ask them?? TDS is only a month away and to have over 1500 rigs poss register (who knows now?) It sure seems to have a move of this magnitude they would have a area, or site or page dedicated to FAQ or such?

For a map, look here.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6413863&postcount=3
It shows "Main Street" clearly.

You can have a fire, but you must bring your own wood.
They are asking that you use existing fire rings, but there are LOTS of them.
There's plenty of room for motorhomes.
All offical trail runs WILL be inside Ocotillo Wells OHVA.
There is no fee to camp.
Don't know about the dump station.

·
Registered
580 Posts

SO will ALL the activities take place in OW or will there be use of the TruckHaven area? I have never been to OW, what is the terrain like?

Main St. is easy to find. It's right off Hwy 78 as you come into the Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

Fires are ok, but fireworks are NOT. Fires are permitted just about anywhere in the camping areas, but I'm pretty sure they require you to build or use a fire ring. There will be a significant police presence there as well, MUCH more intrusive than Truckhaven, although last year it was pretty intense even there.

RV's are welcome, but it's harder to find space and the camping areas will be MUCH more crowded, since you will also be competing for space with the Dirt Bike/Quad crowd, which is usually quite large. There are no fees for camping, but if you want a good camping spot, I highly recommend getting out there as early as possible. Wednesday should do it.

The dump station is by the ranger station, and costs $3 (or at least, that's what it cost the last time I was there with the RV a couple years ago).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
but if you want a good camping spot, I highly recommend getting out there as early as possible. Wednesday should do it.
DAYM! Wed. its that small?
* wondering what the poss of camping as an Individual at the old site on TH and then just cruising over for the raffle. And enjoying the trenched/crevases of TH at night still.. Umm...How far apart is the old camping area of TH and the new one?

·
Registered
580 Posts
DAYM! Wed. its that small?
* wondering what the poss of camping as an Individual at the old site on TH and then just cruising over for the raffle. And enjoying the trenched/crevases of TH at night still.. Umm...How far apart is the old camping area of TH and the new one?
It's not small at all, but the camping is way more spread out, and there will be a lot more people than just for the event.

Truckhaven is about 30 minutes across desert wash from Main Street. It's a rough ride for sure. I know a lot of people who are planning on camping in Truckhaven and then coming out for the raffle on Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Main Street is about 1 mile east of the OWSRVA Ranger Station. It will be easy to find as it is right off the north side of Highway 78.

ALL Desert Safari organized activities will be within the boundary of the OWSVRA. Hosting events at Truckhaven would be asking for another lawsuite.

There is a varied terrain at OWSVRA with some quality rock crawling areas. The trails currently planned have been used by other 4x4 events in the past.

There is plenty of space for motorhome. It is actually more motorhome/trailer friendly than Truckhaven.

Fires are permitted. There should be enough existing fire rings. However, as with other places, land mangers are beginning to limit ground fires. Use of a fire-tub is encouraged.

There is a dump station at the ranger station. I cannot answer about fee. I will try to get a confirmation on that question.

The move in location does not involve a significant change in or standard operations. We ahve had the ablility to use washes as traffic lanes. With a more level terrain in the headquarters area, we will need to place a few more deliniators to establish traffic lanes.

The question of run (or runs) is being resovled this week. Technical issues have delayed getting complete information onto our website. That should be resolved today.

Again, we are shifting location to preclude any further legal activity the would jepordize access to Truckhaven area. We recognize the importance of Truckhaven as an imortant part of recreation opportunity in the desert area. We are facing a range of issues in the area that are going to take time and money to resolve.

Speaking for TDS, we are encouraging everyone to come and show your support for recreation. All of the organized recreation groups (CA4WDC, UFWDA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and others) are involved with this issue.
We also have support of business organization (ORBA and SEMA). It is not just Truckhaven, it is Superstition Mountain, Johnson Valley, Callico, Stoddard Wells, Glamis, and the list goes on. It is not just a southern California issue. It is Arizona, Nevada, Michigan, Colorado, and the list goes on.

·
* The Printer *
18,157 Posts
FYI - In the Ocotillo Wells OHVA there is a high presence of LEOs. There are also posted speed limits in some areas. This include aircraft. I would suggest watching the Rules & Regs as best you can, I would think that they will be very vigilant about maintaining order. Moreso than people may be used to in the Truckhaven area.

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
FYI - In the Ocotillo Wells OHVA there is a high presence of LEOs. There are also posted speed limits in some areas. This include aircraft. I would suggest watching the Rules & Regs as best you can, I would think that they will be very vigilant about maintaining order. Moreso than people may be used to in the Truckhaven area.
This is true. Ocotillo Wells doesn't have enough LEO's to cover such a large
event as TDS Safari so they will be bringing in State Park LEO's from outside
to help. Our club (TDS) will have be billed for that expense.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts