Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Of all the newly popular/recognized folks today, I think Sturgill Simpson is by far the most authentic and talented. I grew up on Country Music but stopped listening to it somewhere in the late 90s. Dumpster fire music now as far as Im concerned.

Sturgill's music reminded me how much I enjoy real country music. Nashville blackballed him because he wasnt country pop and wouldnt play their game. He took the hard road and it finally paid off. Kudos to him for staying the course and not selling out. Guy was nomitaed for a Grammy and later won a Grammy for best Country album yet wasnt invited to the Country Music Awards. Fawk Nashville.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
There have always been shitty bands, with over produced music, and it's always been about the money.

Not every artist is all about the money obviously, but the producers are, and the record labels/streaming/satellite services are. I just got a notification that Sirius XM is going to be $300 a year, and that rate I'll just keep adding to my 500gb of music I have on disc.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Too many SINGERS in these posts and not enough MUSICIANS. There's a difference.

Rob Thomas is corporate pop dreck. Pretty bad when he's better known for riding a washed-up Santana's coattails and not for his own stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
"Too many SINGERS in these posts and not enough MUSICIANS. There's a difference.
Rob Thomas is corporate pop dreck. Pretty bad when he's better known for riding a washed-up Santana's coattails and not for his own stuff."

Thats funny. His Santana song is my least favorite of his. I much prefer his Matchbox 20/solo stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jason Isbell
Shooter Jennings
Turnpike Troubadors
Paul Thorn
Nick 13
Dan the Automator in any collaboration he does
Hank III
Whiskey Myers
AND of course Wheeler Walker Jr.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
"Too many SINGERS in these posts and not enough MUSICIANS. There's a difference.
Rob Thomas is corporate pop dreck. Pretty bad when he's better known for riding a washed-up Santana's coattails and not for his own stuff."

Thats funny. His Santana song is my least favorite of his. I much prefer his Matchbox 20/solo stuff.
I will disagree with you on Rob Thomas.

For one, he is a pretty damn good piano player. He writes almost all the songs and music for M20. Not many better voices out there IMO.

If I was as gay as Overbear, he'd be my crush.

I'll add David Gray to the mix. Definitely not my normal genre but the dude has amazingly great music.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
evan welker of Turnpike Troubadours
jesse daniel
chris knight
cody jinks
corb lund

I don't think any of them are fake, they can all sing and play...

of the manufactured music side-->

Jennifer Hudson can sing her ass off.

·
Registered
22,077 Posts
JD McPherson

Chris Isaak

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
Whiskey Myers is new country, and he sucks.
Whiskey Myers is a band, not a single dude, and they're more Southern Rock than country, and you need to go back into your mom's basement and keep listening to hiphop or whatever shit you listen to...:laughing:

·
Banned
7 Posts
there is a difference for sure between a singer and a musician.

The dirty south
Snowy White
Milknblues

those are some new ones I have started to listen to

as for classic
SRV
Johnny Lang
Collin James
BB King
Buddy Guy

but where are all the Nickelback fans?

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
A lot of music these days has me wondering how the heck the "artist" got signed onto anything (Kesha!?!?!)

Whether you agree/like their music or not, there are a few actual artists out there. Whos on your list of true musical artists, or WTF who signed them list.

Heres my short list, not saying I like their particular style but I can appreciate their artistry

Rob Thomas
Bruno Mars
Chris Stapleton
Justin Timberlake
Lauren Daigle

Then there are the WTF?! people...pretty much anyone showcased on SNL lately lol.
Milli Vanilli

They exposed everyone else for 2 decades, before and AFTER.

:laughing:

·
Banned
69 Posts
Miley Cyrus
Arianna Grande
Rihanna
A lot of music these days has me wondering how the heck the "artist" got signed onto anything (Kesha!?!?!)
Kesha is a better singer than either Arianna Grande or especially Rihanna. Rihanna has one trick: she trills. She trills very well in a short vocal range, but that's all she does.

Miley Cyrus, as everyone knows, has a considerable amount of talent. She is, however, plain-looking. Musical talent is not enough to be successful as a musician unless she wants to tour bars as a part-time job.

Therefore, she 'went crazy' and became more about image than she was about singing.

Oh, she sings Jolene well? Have you heard Dolly Parton sing it? Have you seen pictures of Dolly Parton when she wrote that song? She is 12/10 hot. In the 1970s, being 12/10 and a good singer was enough to give you a shot at stardom. That is not true anymore.

Kesha is pretty plain-looking. She was also rather large and a bit chubby as a kid. So she channeled her Artistic talent from being a Singer to being a Performer. Part of the performance is the makeup/accessories, weird behavior, and accusations of sexual exploitation.

This is not really all that bad, if you think about it. It's simply Performance Art. I don't remember Miley Cyrus in her 'crazy naked Miley' days or K$sha being introduced as 'a singer'. They are introduced as 'a performer'. They are Performance Artists.

If TV talent shows have taught us anything, it's that very, VERY good singers are in abundant supply. There are very, very few truly unique, galactically-talented singers. I only know a few from Popular Music.

Robert Plant
Aretha Franklin
Patsy Cline (she got in an accident or something and hit her head and this increased her talent, supposedly, kind of like Sam Kinnison who had his inhibitions removed after an accident. There's a name for the condition too)
Janice (even though she did mainly covers)
Adele (we'll never really know what Amy Winehouse was capable of but she showed promise, still doesn't quite qualify)
Lionel Richie
Elton John
Elvis
Ray Charles

Maybe you can add others to the list but you have to have Voice Control, Range, a unique Timbre, and behind all of this you have to convince me that your singing is unharnassed, raw emotion. That doesn't mean wild all the time, but I have to be convinced that you are All In, almost all of the time. And for that, guys like Freddie Mercury do not qualify, because he was clearly holding back.

And, you have ot demonstrate that you can do this outside of not only your signature sound, but your genre. Patsy Cline barely got a chance to cross from Country to Be Bop and Pop, but she did do it.

Robert Plant, Elvis, Aretha, and Ray Charles are so convincing and talented that when they cross genres, you're like "Gee I wish Aretha had sung this song in the first place instead of ____". Elvis can convince me in three songs that he is a Country singer, in the next that he sings Be Bop Rock n Roll, and in the very next song that he is a dedicated, life-long Gospel singer. THAT is talent.

There are a host of eminently talented Black singers who unfortunately constrict themselves to a single genre. Unlike Smokey Robinson or Ray Charles who demonstrate they are at home in Country, Soul, the Blues, R&B, Pop, and Rock n Roll among others.

The people above could sing at any Grammy Awards ceremony, and they will stand head and shoulders above the very best of the rest in the business. You could get tired of listening to Miley Cyrus, but if Adele comes on, everyone will stop and listen.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts