Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I built one using a Tractor top link from a three point hitch. You need the truss! My housing is cracked around the centersection, just enough that it leaks the fluid out gradually. I built another housing but havent put it in yet. That style bar does work and it works pretty well. My springs are wasted and it doesnt wrap since I put the bar in. The last time that I wrapped up the springs before the bar, I broke the rear flange on my crappy AZ drivelines driveshaft, needless to say I carry a spare flange now also. It does open the rear missing links about two inches when you drop the clutch in low range...That is the only drawback really, besides the cracked rear housing.

Paul

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Post some pics of it when it's done if you could. My old Sami had an SOA and RS....had radials also. I never could get the "wrap" under control on the steep slickrock stuff which prevented it from being a good vertical climber. The hopping would start...the tires bouncing of the ground and it looked like crap. I had a ladder bar on it also.
Now my take on it is if you want the Sami to be a great climber start by leaving it spring under and go Swamper BIAS TSLs. The physics of the Leaf under and the lack of the stored energy in the bias plys sidewalls means no hopping.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I ran the breeze trac-bar, it cleared up the s- ing sensation in the YJs but produced alot of antit squat, would recomend a full wrap on the axle where the bar is welded on so it doesnt tear off and it can, thats were the breeze unit is a little nicer full 360 around, I would recomend my opinion is truss the top of the axle asspecially the long side they like to bend upwards.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Truss me on this, I have personal experience... you must use a truss with the Spidertrax traction bar. I didn't and bent my housing! And yes, it bent in the direction they tell you to put the truss.

Spencerai's is a little overkill, but necessary none the less.

·
Registered
85 Posts
so far i have bent a trussed samurai housing and now i have cracked a spidertrax sidwinder housing at the same spot because of that anti wrap bar.
i would beef that up if i were you,spidertrax anti wrap is a bad design imo
no wraped up springs though:D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
spencurai said:

2 designs. one bar or two....:)

mine is working so far. when it breaks...my dana 44s go under...they are collecting dust until my zuk axles grenade...
Good, that thing needs some width, nothing fuglier than a SOA zuk with stock width axles :flipoff2:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts