Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally the day before we go to an event we load up the truck and pack the trailer with tools and get everything ready to go. This time we thought Matt's buggy was all set to go. We just needed to drive around the parking lot and set the air pressure in the new 16" shocks we put on the truck. After a weeks worth of prep work we thought we were just about ready to go. When Nick started up the buggy we heard a funny noise like a rod knock. With a stethoscopes I check out the block, no noise at all. Then I check back further and found we had a ticking noise coming from the transmission. After pulling the pan and checking things out we desided to pull the tranny. This involved removing the rear suspension, axle and motor.

We found a broken pump gear inside the transmission. Fortunately we have a fully built Hughes Performance transmission standing by as a spare. It's now 9PM here at the shop and we are working as fast as we can to get the rig back together and on the road to get to the CalRoc event this weekend.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
That is Troy Myers/Marty Hart's old buggy. Marty cut the whole top of the cage off when he got it to make it taller and it kind of looks like even more changes have been made to the cage now. We built a few moon buggies at the Badlands, but the fuel pump mount I made is a dead giveaway that its Troy's old buggy.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info on the rig!
Here are a couple photos from last weekend....

It is a turbo ecotec powered buggy with powerglide tranny, atlas, and 300m axle shafts.

After working till 2 pm last night and then this morning the rig and back together. Matt is on the road now heading up to the event.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I thought that was Troy's buggy. It worked great when Troy had it, another creation by the man, Jesse Haines!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts