Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know this is a cheap excuse for a tube bender but I am not going to be making many bends. Most of the stuff will be like rear bumber/tire rack. I have the full cage already. I was wondering if this was worth a damn or am I better saving my money for a real bender?? I just want to know if this will work or is it a wate of money. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32888

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You know its amazing how many people dont do a search.. Maybe lance should put up a big FLASHING RED and BLUE light when someone trys to post.

NO that wont work thats a pipe bender not a tube bender. Pipe benders will kink the tube.

Do search..

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

thats all I needed to know. Will save the cash to get a tube bender.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
A pipe bender could be made to work. I've seen it. But's it's pain in the ass. My buddy made some "sleeves" I guess you could call them for his pipe bender. Basically making the pipe die the same size as the tubing. It worked pretty good for bends that were not to tight.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a cheezy pipe bender and used it to build some things. They will dent the tube where it hits the rollers and I couldn't bend more that about 35 deg's. I got tired of fooling with it and got a Pro-Tools 105. More money but a better tool.

You get what you pay for is a good rule of thumb.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I have packed the tube with sand, heated it, then use to die from that model to get decent results. A real tubing bender is much faster and much easyer. The price is big up front, but if you can build a few bumpers or cages for friends it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Heating the tube before bending will weaken the material...

The question isn't would you trust your life to it, but would you trust your passenger's life to it...?

While I don't think it's ok for cages... If you are making bumpers and guards it's ok.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats a good bender

So the harbor friehgt pipe bender is out. What do you use?? I would like to get a tube bender but i do not want to spend 3 grand for one. Let me know what you guys use, about how much they are and pros and cons of different benders. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a Pro-Tools... check out www.rockbuggysupply.com

Alan (fjjunky on this board) , the owner of rock buggy supply has the best price around and his customer service just kicks ass!

I would reccomend purchasing through him.

Cost was ($901.46 shipped to 98367) for the whole setup:

- $295 HD model 105 bender (the regular 105 is cheaper)
- $210 1.75" x 6" CLR x 240* die set
- $120 for the angle protractor
- $158 for the HSN-500 tube notcher
- $118.46 for shipping to 98367

I have one of the harbor freight pipe benders too... I used it for a front winch mount, and wasn't satisfied, that's the reason for buying the Pro-Tools.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Call Alan @ rockbuggysupply. Best price on a Pro Tools 105 that I could find. And damnit I looked for 2 weeks. 1 3/4 5.5 w/ bender= $483 to my door in NC. Got it 5 days after ordering. If you read this Alan 5 referals equals 25% off next die right:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

Thanks everyone for the help makes a world of difference on what I buy. I am going to get the Pro tool hd model. Now I just have to wait for my welder to get in and tax money back to order this. Thanks everyone.

Will

·
Registered
106 Posts
Will,

Come on over to Disco Bay this weekend and bring your tubing. I'm going to to be working on my cage, and your welcome to use my Pro-Tools bender. I've got dies for 1 1/4", 1 5/8", 1 3/4" & 2". Send me a PM.

-tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts