Pirate 4x4 banner

tube body or sheetmetal with cage(either exo or internal)

• tube body

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • sheetmetal w/external cage

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • sheetmetal w/internal cage

Votes: 7 20.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is it just me fighting against going with a tube body for my truck. i love the look of the power wagon and the fact that it looks like a dodge when on the trail, but the tube body sure would make it easier to pick the line i want to take. :D

BTW the tube body would have to be a 4 seater with room for coolers/console inbetween them.:beer:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i said tube cause you can go anywhere you want, can build it to seat more people, all that good stuff. better visability and all that, so much better than a full body

wes

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Everyone knows that sheet metal loses against rocks on the trail. ;)

Maybe you could just incorporate the grill/headlights and maybe a similar style hood on a tube chassis?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I love the tube buggys, lots of fun. But I still like to be able to go out in bad weather and be dry when I close the door.

I'd go for an ex cab dakota cab and clip and do a exo cage/flat bed on it.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I voted for interior cage, because I think that's what i'm going to do, and I like the idea. But Hick's idea is pretty sweet too... especially if you could use a late model body :D

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just picked up a good condition '76 ramcharger tub and i have a perfect front clip from the neighbors abandoned dodge truck..................;)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I typed a big long winded reply and then my computer crashed. :shaking:

Short version:

Tube truggy is fun, less practical, and a ton of work. And then figure in that you'd need seats, harnesses, shifter, steering column, lots of tube, losts of time, all equals lots of $

Exo caged vehicle: Good interior space, good sealing from elements, more practical for family, less time fabricating, more time wheeling, resistant to major body damage.

Interior caged vehicle: Good structural integrity / safety, will get destroyed and doors won't close, windshield will be cracked, should have just built truggy.

My advice: Good rocker protection, some exo caging around cab, taper in front (didn't even hit my fender when I flopped), interior cage that ties into exo around the cab, spend more time wheeling and less in the garage.

And to think how long it would have taken me if I had built from scratch.:p

Ryan

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
GRMhick said:
I love the tube buggys, lots of fun. But I still like to be able to go out in bad weather and be dry when I close the door.

I'd go for an ex cab dakota cab and clip and do a exo cage/flat bed on it.
Dats exactly what Im working up to! Hopefully after Christmas when I get my bonus.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PJTPW said:
I typed a big long winded reply and then my computer crashed. :shaking:

Exo caged vehicle: Good interior space, good sealing from elements, more practical for family, less time fabricating, more time wheeling, resistant to major body damage.

Ryan

this is the direction i'm leaning. the ramcharger body even has a good hardtop.;)

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Hero said:
Dats exactly what Im working up to! Hopefully after Christmas when I get my bonus.
Yup. in the back of my mind I still want to sell my yota and get a 318/nv3550 dakota, and swap in axles and the transfer case out of a fullsize dodge.

Although, with how cheap my yota is being to build, I doubt I will sell it.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GRMhick said:
Yup. in the back of my mind I still want to sell my yota and get a 318/nv3550 dakota, and swap in axles and the transfer case out of a fullsize dodge.

Although, with how cheap my yota is being to build, I doubt I will sell it.

.........not to mention how much aftermarket the yota's have. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm so undecided at this point............................

a friend and i were talking about the strength of exo cages and with the weight i'm packin in my truck, i think i could fold up an exo cage. what about an hybrid interior/external cage? i know where i would protect, but what about you guys? i think with a set of half doors, i could have avoided alot of the cab destruction since the obsticle would slide along the door.

so where would you put tubing?:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts