1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the real world, not if you had a million $. What would you buy
key word is buy.
1- A complete tube chassie for a four link setup. if it was around $2000
2 -A tube chassie you could take the leafs and drivetrain off your zuk and swap. around $2400
3- A tube cage for the rear, like cutting off the rear half of your rig. apx $600
4- An exocage ? maybe $1500

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
rocraven said:
key word is buy.
Not many zook heads 'buy' That dude who owns "Arachnid" posted here a few weeks ago asking $10,000 for his rig and he got laughed at and heckled and beaten down, maybhe you'd be better off with another corner of the 4x4 market. Or try the "jeep" boards, they like to spend money for no apparant reason. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Or try the Toyota forum. Wait, you already double-posted this over there. I better not find it in Gen4x4 when I swing through there. I hate when people do that... :mad2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Re: tube chassie, tubed rear or exocage?

MuddMachine said:

Not many zook heads 'buy' That dude who owns "Arachnid" posted here a few weeks ago asking $10,000 for his rig and he got laughed at and heckled and beaten down, maybhe you'd be better off with another corner of the 4x4 market. Or try the "jeep" boards, they like to spend money for no apparant reason. :flipoff2:
Was this a simple question? My wife was canadian and she understood english...but...only when I said "suck it"
Oh, I get it.:D :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TNToy said:
Or try the Toyota forum. Wait, you already double-posted this over there. I better not find it in Gen4x4 when I swing through there. I hate when people do that... :mad2:
some people do not read every forum. only what they're interested in. and why, you better not find it?
Hey Lance, is there a scared smilie. :D

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
rocraven said:
key word is buy.
2 -A tube chassie you could take the leafs and drivetrain off your zuk and swap. around $2400
3- A tube cage for the rear, like cutting off the rear half of your rig. apx $600
SCWAFISH's rig.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MuddMachine said:
Better post some fawkin pics if you want business :flipoff2: fawkin newbie :flipoff2:
Not my site and I'm not going to pimp my shit here, I'll have a site soon. I'm just trying to get a little SURVEY. I see Lance at every comp. so he could actually kick my ass. As far as the newbie title
yes I am new to this board but, I was probably building rigs before you were born. I'm an old shit but, not as old as Walker.

In 1980 I built my first cj 401,dana 44's front and rear, spring over,4.27 gears,lockers and 14x35" mudders. Yes I was a southern mudder...redneck:flipoff2: now answer the damn question.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It all depends on what rig with the tube rear and the exo:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
rocraven said:
key word is buy.
OK, I unfortunatly live in the real world (broke most of the time). So here goes.

1) Tubed chasis/4 link......if you can bring a good Tube/4-link set up to market that is SAFE... for $2000....you'll have a winner there!!

2) Tube chasis W/stock drivetrain....I'm thinking if I can get a linked setup for $400 less, why would Buy this?????

3) Tubed rear cage....I am guessing that you mean just cutting the body, not the frame.....I would need pictures on that, there are alot of ways to do it right.....and even more ways to [email protected]#K it up! post some Ideas then perhaps youll know better.

4) Exocage.......tempting price, but how much would need to be welded fabricated by the customer? Also the execution would be a real factor here...just some bent tube slaped togeather...forget it.

Just my outlook on this, if I enterpited your question wrong sorry.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Orionn said:

OK, I unfortunatly live in the real world (broke most of the time). So here goes.

1) Tubed chasis/4 link......if you can bring a good Tube/4-link set up to market that is SAFE... for $2000....you'll have a winner there!!
Thanks for saving me all this typing !

Agree, a "spec" buggy of sorts would do well at that price,

2) Tube chasis W/stock drivetrain....I'm thinking if I can get a linked setup for $400 less, why would Buy this?????
even better if it were setup as in buy a stock zuke for "parts" and move certain parts over in a simple bolt on setup. Makeing a "kit buggy" or sorts.....

3) Tubed rear cage....I am guessing that you mean just cutting the body, not the frame.....I would need pictures on that, there are alot of ways to do it right.....and even more ways to [email protected]#K it up! post some Ideas then perhaps youll know better.
ummm no comment.....

4) Exocage.......tempting price, but how much would need to be welded fabricated by the customer? Also the execution would be a real factor here...just some bent tube slaped togeather...forget it.
Like mentiond most people kinda make thier own....BUT the buggy chasis is mentioned ALL the time and ive yet to see one. After doing what ive done on mine and learning (ie redoing) through out the process. I can fully understand and respect an off the self working "kit" 2k isnt bad when i add up the hours and $..... iyd have to be fully approved for specific classes and have several option levels for various level of builders, ie bare chassis weld it together to a fully welded turn key setup like other do.... THink of the "legends" circle track cars very regulated but very competitive with know/set limits on most aspects...

Just a few random thoughts as i drink my coffee......
-yag

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Orionn said:

4) Exocage.......tempting price, but how much would need to be welded fabricated by the customer?

First, thanks for a honest reply.

I'm talking about chassies only not the links,coils,etc. that would be extra but I could do that locally. Just trying to figure out what would sell, a larger market. Did you know Avalanche Eng. has only sold 28 chassies since 96?
#2 I was thinking some people can't afford $1600-2000 for coil overs and can't design,or fab a link system so maybe if I built a good looking tube chassie with all the spring hangers in place then most could simply swap over the springs and drivetrain. There's still alot to be built on a tube chassie though. Dash,steering,pedals,wiring,rad mount,etc. so, this brought me to #3
I would cut the frame if going to a link setup.or if extending the wheelbase.
Terry Howe competes and does well, his buggy uses 10" travel
coilovers at the tires he gets around 16" of travel. I can get 10"
coilovers for about $250 complete. would you go for this?
#4 exocage locally only.

I know most want to build their own stuff. Some can't or don't have the time. I bought my first cage For $4000 and haven't regretted it for a minute.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Re: Re: Re: tube chassie, tubed rear or exocage?

rocraven said:
this brought me to #3
I would cut the frame if going to a link setup.or if extending the wheelbase.
Terry Howe competes and does well, his buggy uses 10" travel
coilovers at the tires he gets around 16" of travel. I can get 10"
coilovers for about $250 complete. would you go for this?
[/B]
Now that might be a go. Need to show one off, got any pics of your ideas ? ffs

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Well, fawk the exocage idea...it's:rainbow:
I DO, however, feel that while a Sammi is neat in its own right, it lacks. It lacks power, stoutness, and wheelbase. Very sorry, guys.
I, too, have thought about developing cheap, easy to reproduce, chassis for sammi swap-overs. But then I got to thinking about how much bitching I hear everyone doing about the guy in front of/behind them on the trail with the store bought chassis, bolt on suspension, and they had another guy do it all on top of it while the owner wrote a check. We all hate that guy. He has no respect for his rig because it's not his blood on it.
If someone REALLY feels the need to be where few have gone before, they BETTER have the knowledge, skills, and love of it all enough to do it all themselves. The last thing we all need is another phone call at 3:00 in the AM from a 16 year old kid with a checkbook wheeler stuck in Egypt.
OK, was this all dramatic enough??:D I looked into it, and while there was a demand, it just isn't worth it. It starts out as a straight swap-over, then "how about some Chevy motor mounts?", then "longer wheelbase, but not that long", then it's "I don't like that tube there", "well, sorry you built it special like that for me, but I don't actually have any more money...".
Let 'em build their own.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
nozuk said:
twistedmetal said:
Well, fawk the exocage idea...it's:rainbow:

Exo cages kick ass no body damage
If you're smashing up Zuks, you have no right to be behind a steering wheel!:flipoff2:
I ran my fat ass Scout II on the same trails with the sammis with trhe same amount of damage. My buddy now runs an exo on his Sammi, I hate it, it's embarrassing me(not really, but I like to give him shit about it ;) ). I don't like the stupid little tubes sticking out the sides of the vehicle to tear up trees and hang up on rocks. Think about it, you're sticking atleast a 1.50" tube outside the body. It doesn't rub on the body, so it has to be spaced away from it a bit, so you now have a rig that is like 5"6" wider than before. It's dumb, and it's gay. Take your hits like a man.
I do, however, feel that on certain vehicles, the winsheild frame is vulnerable, and occasionaly, not replaceable--like my Sidekick. So, here's my comprimise:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The down tube is under the fender, except where it counts, and had it not been such a fawking pain in the ass, it should have been tucked even tighter to the body. Here's another shot where if you look closely, you can see the fender over the top of the tubing. Sorry I'm stealing the thread here, just wanted to show my opinions...I'll get my own thread for the straight pimpin':p !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
twistedmetal said:

If you're smashing up Zuks, you have no right to be behind a steering wheel!:flipoff2:
:

Yah look at chris he finally weny 95% tube on his rig now Iwould probaly would had a cracked rib and some rock rash if it was'nt for an exo i may only be a passanger in most situateion but i know what works and what does'nt :flipoff2:
if you build it rite it works

you'll have to come out to az to smash up that pretty tracker when it's done :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
you should get some of daniels rock star wheels paint them pink to :flipoff2:

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: Then it will be badass :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts