Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I just installed some REV111 tube fenders on my TJ today and I got some LED lights to mount on them(Gen-Right's TJ light Kit) and got the small fronts installed. My problem is that the lights work when the lights(Headlights, Parking,etc) are off but when I have them on they don't work. They are only two wire and I wired them using the two wires coming from the stock side markers. Do I need to run a ground for just these? The stock front markers still work either way and I am stuck as to how to make the LEDs work when the lights are on. Also how should I wire the two wire side markers whe the front markers have three wires? Please Help! Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
only 2 wires and you want them to do 3 functions ? - do the side markers blink with the blinkers ? if so then you need a 3 wire set up - the factory one should use the fender for ground - one wire for the blinker crk, and one for the lights. get a test light and turn on your lights. you should have steady power at one wire - then turn on the blinker - one should still have power and the other should flash. the reason they work with the lights off is because the light crk is grounding the light when it is off ( backfeeding )

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only 2 wires and you want them to do 3 functions ? - do the side markers blink with the blinkers ? if so then you need a 3 wire set up - the factory one should use the fender for ground - one wire for the blinker crk, and one for the lights. get a test light and turn on your lights. you should have steady power at one wire - then turn on the blinker - one should still have power and the other should flash. the reason they work with the lights off is because the light crk is grounding the light when it is off ( backfeeding )
I did that because I hooked them up and they didn't work at first. According to the wiring diagrams in my FSM the third wire to the fronts is just a ground. My main question was that If I tie in a separate ground for just the side marker wired lights would/should that fix the issues I'm having? Or, should I just wire the sides in using the front wiring and ground it all to the fender? The sides are spliced from the factory to the fronts and(I'm assuming) share a ground. What do you all think? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
if the marker leds do not have a way to ground other than the 2 wires - then no - if there are only 2 wires from the led then it can only be on or off. not on and flash - so - the factory markers have running lights and turn signals ? correct ? so you have can have a running light or a turn signal - use the factory ground ( if you didnt cut it off ) and the function of your choise ( turn or running )

yes it could be grounded to the fender.
it could be a running light
or
it could be a blinker
but not both without a diffrent led

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Cut and paste from a post of mine on another board:

After cutting the fenders on your TJ for flat fenders, or installing tube fenders, your turn signals may require some modification for proper operation. Depending on what bulbs you are using, and how much of the stock lighting you are maintaining, you may experience your flasher not operating, no turn signals while the headlights are on, or no turn signals at all. In our tube fender installation, we have only kept a single turn signal on each side, and completely eliminated the marker light function.

In order to use only a single light as a turn signal without any problems, the stock turn signal/marker light wiring needs some modification. In our case, we are using the stock side marker light as the new front/side facing turn signal. The basic modifications involve the removal of the wiring for the rectangular turn signal/marker light. This is also a good opportunity to clean up the wiring in this area.

Assuming all of your wiring is in factory condition, take the following steps.

Starting on the passenger side:
1. Select a location to start trimming your wiring. If your tube fenders retain the stock inner fender, you will probably want to keep the rubber grommet that passes through the fender. If your inner fenders are removed, you can cut behind this grommet and get rid of a little bit more of the rats nest.

2. Note the number of tan wires in the location you have selected. If there are two tan wires in the location that you are starting your trimming, cut the one that leads to the rectangular front light and cap this wire. If you only have one wire in your location, cut the wire here and cut the wire at the side marker light. Splice these two cuts together in whatever length you deem necessary.

3. Cut the black wire with the yellow stripe leading from the side marker light to the rectangular light.

4. Cut the black wire leading from the rectangular light. Splice this wire to the black wire with the yellow stripe from step 3.

5. The wiring to the rectangular light should be completely removed at this point.

6. Install a bulb in the side marker socket and test for proper right turn signal operation.

Driver's side:
Steps are the same except the tan wire is grey on the driver's side.

If an aftermarket light is being used, not the factory side marker light, simply connect it to the tan or grey wires and the black wires in the harness, still removing all of the remaining wiring for the rectangular front marker light.
Ryan

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cut and paste from a post of mine on another board:

Ryan
Thanks, but what if I want to use the stock front wiring to power the new side marker LEDs? I would like them to work together like the factory did. Would I need to seperatly ground the front from the side or if I cut the wires and used the black to ground to the fender when I wired the sides would/should that work. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts