Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of fender flares, but i kept worrying about ripping them off the body and/or crushing them on trees, so i figured just screw it and use steel tubing

so now i am trying to design a kick ass tube fender/ rocker guard setup for my SII

i want something like Hayraker's, but without the crack, and a few less sawzall blades.:flipoff2:

kinda like this (borrowed a pic of jeremy cash's scout)

Frame tie-ins throughout the tube is what i would like to do, so it would actually have a chance to support the weight of the truck leaning, but what are ya'lls opinions on tying the body directly to the frame with this setup?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice, that was just what i am lookin for.

thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i figured i would just start with about an 10" radius dye, bend a lil, feed more through, bend again, until i got the shape right.

plus i wanna chop the fenders, so i can have a little creativity, errr room for error:D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how would you heat it?

the heat wouldnt warp the wood or anything?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
troutbum said:

prolly, but I have thought about building a wood die and trying to heat and bend to get a large radius bend...anyone tried it?
depending on the tubing used, for that large of a radius, you could probably just bend it by hand, or over some large radius object.

Or you could make a wood buck to bend it over. I don't know if you would need, or want heat. You would have to heat a large section, otherwise it would bend sharp at the heated point.

Or like 1006 said, just segment bend it, feed, kick, feed, kick.....

if done in small enough increments, it would be appear smooth.

After all, a circle is only a string of infinitely small strait lines :D

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
It could be done with a ring roller like this

Best bet would be to have a rail shop do the wheel arches for you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would savea lot of time and head ache,

know what to expect cost-wise?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
After all, a circle is only a string of infinitely small strait lines :D
[Chong voice]
Whhooooaaa, dude... that was like deep, man.....
[/Chong voice]

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
i saw on jesse james motorcycle show that he made a jig out of wood with a radius bend on it...heated up the tube and bent it himself. The tube he was bending was a main structure on his frame.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A torch and I don't know about S. Carolina but in Utah wood burns.
Not iffen its a touch soggy. Coopers and wheel wrights used to form and attach metal bands hot to the rims and barrels using this approach. :D
Does generate a bit of steam n' smoke so I might be inclined to use a welding blanket or other such device on the form myself.

D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts