Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a tube frame be made out of stock 404 parts by moving the engine to the rear and using another steering axle in the front, can the torque tubes be switched, anyobdy lengthen/shorten the tubes/shafts? Think it would work with the stock suspension? I have noticed over and over that the truck to too nose heavy in the mud, if the engine was rear mounted that would keep it from breaking thru right away and plowing, I never get a good feel for the swamp with the front being so heavy, seems like by the time Irealize it is going down it is too late. with a rear engine the light weight of the front and propel factor might be better in mud, wonder how it would do in rock with a rear engine? anybody know a phoptchopper who mogs enough to design some to look at, can pay for a photchop if interested, what do they get for photo chopping dune buggy frames with the mog engine in the rear? Thanks, that is the major reason I fooled with the DB 2200 so much, plus with a rear engine any later fuel injected DB would have room,especially the F.I. versions that will not fit in a 404 cab,Mercedes sponsorship by a dealer if the thing was competive, bad idea, do not know or? How does one start with a design to take to a tube bender? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
"Mercedes sponsorship by a dealer if the thing was competive"

Hehehe, ya good luck on that one!!

I have somewhere some pictures on one of my computers a guy that made a mid engine buggy that was still all Unimog Parts. It was a Unimog chassis with a tube cage on top of it.

I can't remember though if he switched the torquetubes or if he extened the front and shortened the rear.

I'll have to dig the pics up.

I've also thought about this many times making a mid engine rig. But, I think what you will come up with is reduced suspension travel due to the messed with torque tubes.

If you find that you feel that your truck is "nose heavy" you can relocate your fuel tanks and your battery boxes further to the rear. Or, add some weights to the rear. Unimogs do best when they are loaded up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unimogken said:
"Mercedes sponsorship by a dealer if the thing was competive"

Hehehe, ya good luck on that one!!

I have somewhere some pictures on one of my computers a guy that made a mid engine buggy that was still all Unimog Parts. It was a Unimog chassis with a tube cage on top of it.

I can't remember though if he switched the torquetubes or if he extened the front and shortened the rear.

I'll have to dig the pics up.

I've also thought about this many times making a mid engine rig. But, I think what you will come up with is reduced suspension travel due to the messed with torque tubes.

If you find that you feel that your truck is "nose heavy" you can relocate your fuel tanks and your battery boxes further to the rear. Or, add some weights to the rear. Unimogs do best when they are loaded up.
How much weight could save by going to a tube chassis? The tube frame rock crawlers have to be really light at 2500 pounds, think about it, rear engine, fuel injected or 6 Mikunis(will run upside down) with a 175 DB engine. If the tihing does not work with the torque tubes go to swing axle mog like the Rodd Hall hyrirds i saw. You still would have the portal axle height advantage, it should crawl if ever set up right. Think postive,listened to all of will not work with the rear engine pinto 2000cc sandrail we ran sucessfully. Where are those pictures, if we could get a tube frame design on the board we maybe somebody could bend it up, I am not a bender and none around me that I can see for 400 miles, I still have no rollbar on my truck, anybody in Wa making them that will flex and not stiffen up the truck too much? I bet if a tube was all DB some DB or Unimog dealer will help. dig up those pics please, interested in those torque tube mods! thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unimogken said:
Hey, whats "DB"?
Daimer-Benz, ti whats on a texas title when you apply for a 404 lost title, think that is Texas for we never heared or see it, what you say you got a Unihog? I swear it is on my title DB flatbed 1 1/2 ton truck! LOL!

Really the engine needs to be a cross head design like all of the newer MB 6 cylinder if for no reason than free parts, no to mention the stock unimog head design drinks and eats out of the same side of its mouth, intake and exhaust same side, no ram effect, plus it always likes to cook the gasoline. The pinto head i have a of time on has the intake on one side and exhaust on the other. There are a lot of parts for these newer 6 cylinder MB with fuel injection, prob is they will not fit in a 404 due tothe cab is toosmall. What does your truck title say from Washington?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
My WA title says:

Model Year......................1961
Make...............................MERBZ
Power/Use......................G/TRK
Series & Body Style.........VAN

Have you considered going propane/lpg on your M180 engine? I'm thinking that I will make that change when I get to building my trail rig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts