Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got metaltech style tubefender and front hoop bending drawings for Bendtech-ez program? Would save much tube and time if i would find them.

I lost my fenders from fiberglass fliphood in one orienteering competition and now its time to make fenders that can take up serious beating. Allready cut my fliphood to pieces and now its time to make plans for fenders. I have to rise them up as much as they got but still hoping to leave little side panel under hood. Saw pictures of metaltech products and i think that they are right for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pictures of your own made and metaltech ones are welcome. Have searched and found much pictures but if you have some new ones then post here please.

I' m thinking that fender should be attached to front hoop but how about rear? Metaltech ones just bolt to standard holes and theres no extra support. How are they holding is you bash them to trees or rocks really hard? I think rear should be connected to frame? Connecting to chassis is outta question because it flexes too much (eaten by rust).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Anyone got metaltech style tubefender and front hoop bending drawings for Bendtech-ez program? Would save much tube and time if i would find them.

Saw pictures of metaltech products and i think that they are right for me.
Are you joking? You are not really asking for knock off drawings of parts made by a supporting vender of this forum!? Metal-tech has supported POR for years as a yellow star vender, and you are asking for drawings so you can save yourself $. Not Cool. We also spent hours and tube figuring out the parts.

You never contacted us directly to ask if we ship internationally – We Do. In fact we are setting up a distributor for the EU right now.

We don’t claim to have invented the concept of Nose Guards (However the name of Nose Guard is TM of Metal-tech), and tube fenders. But for the last 4-5 years we have been the only vender supporting the market with them in kit form for everyone to build. We also sell them at a low enough price that’s reasonable. So if you want knock off parts, go talk to venders that use China, they are the experts.

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Custom made parts are NOT knock offs of something already available to buy. Not cool at all. Fire up your Bend-tech software and make your own parts.

Dam stuff like this pisses me off. For over five years we have busted our ass to make this company a reality. One of the reason we support ONLY Landcruisers is because the back stabbing knock off other peoples work seams to primarily live in the other world of Toyota trucks.

We continue to be able to offer the parts we do, and new parts we are working on because customers SUPORT us by buying our products. This includes internationally. Last year alone we shipped Metal-tech, US Made products to over 10 different countries.

Mark

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
YOTAMIKE
Do yourselfl a big favor and delete this post, best to kill this before everyone thinks badly of ya.
Metaltech is one of, if not the, most respected vendor in the LC community
Butch

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
So you got a bender and software, use it.
The best thing about Metal Tech ( besides the cool shirt I got) is they bring new stuff to the market periodically and it is Landcruiser specific and it is real world , practical stuff not bolt on jewelry.

You forgot to ask for the tube door drawing, slider, and cage while your at it.

C'mon Finland, I think it is time you called Trail Gear for your needs.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Easy fellas I don't think he was looking to open a shop or rip off metal-tech. I read his post as wanting to make them himself and used metal-tech as an example. With Metal-Tech being one of the only online and readily available tube fenders as his guide from researching online.

I agree with you on all acounts that you shouldn't rip-off ideas and or plans a'la Trail Gear, but let him explain before you go on a Jihad.

ps. proud owner of a MT Family Cage

-bull

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
but jihad fun......c'mon let us play......

Asking for the bender program is knocking off wether you make 1 or 200.

Using your software and bender to make similar or = parts for yourself is called fabricating. It ceases to be fabricating when you download someone elses schematic and produce parts from it, that be copying.

So it is cool of the guy wants to make his tube in the form of metal techs, hell it is a compliment, but looking to use a software program set to replicate their bends is BS, do it yourself. Imitation is the sencerist form of flattery.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Unbelievable. I can understand why he would want MetalTech's products (they are the shit), but to have the balls to come onto a forum that MetalTech is a vendor on and ask for drawing?!?:mad3:

If you want to build your own protection, do it. You can spend the weeks and have the scrape steel from fawked up bends. That way you can make it your own. However, I would recommend ponying up the cash and support a business that is 100% behind wheeling Land Cruisers and supporting our hobby. I just can't believe someone would ask for something like that! This is bullshit. Damn, now I'm going to be pissed off for the rest of the day.:flipoff:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
More pictures of your own made and metaltech ones are welcome. Have searched and found much pictures but if you have some new ones then post here please.

I' m thinking that fender should be attached to front hoop but how about rear? Metaltech ones just bolt to standard holes and theres no extra support. How are they holding is you bash them to trees or rocks really hard? I think rear should be connected to frame? Connecting to chassis is outta question because it flexes too much (eaten by rust).
Meh, I'll play nice. Mine are tied into the front hoop, the frame and bolted through the tub via the angle iron. I have hoisted my rig off the sliders to do a tranns swap. Mine are stout as can be. Each slider is tied into 6 points on the frame. .188 wall to take the impacts transferred through the 1/4" plate and .120 wall uppers for triangulation. The step plate is dimpled .120 sheet, with the dimples facing up for traction when wet. The "fenders" will be tied to the frame via shock mounts and a over the engine cross bar. I've hit them in their current state with no damage, they will really take a beating when I wrap up the new shock mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First i'm not stepping to anyones toes here or trying to make profit starting copycat business so :flipoff2: to all whiners. I'm so pissed off now about those negative replies:mad3:. Name Metaltech was used just as example and it seems to be mistake even when i wrote "metaltech style". Real goal is to make something similar but little changed to better suit my needs. I live in this distant country called Finland and shipping pile of tubes here is not good idea for poor guys like me. I dont think Metaltech has patent for this design, dont know if this design is even invented by them? Anyway i'm doing this shit to one cruiser and was thinkin about fastest way to do it without wasting tons of pipe. Many thanks to anyone posting good pictures.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
that's what i thought and i talked to LT about it yesterday. you guys have to keep in mind that there is a slight language barrier here since yotamika speaks finnish as his first language and probably learned english in school over there. i would know, german being my first language.......

anyways, i don't think anybody's trying to rip anybody off here. just a guy who competes in some of the european trials and needs a set of tube fenders. so making them similar to the ones sold by metal tech is not only the smart way to go since they are a great design and work well, but it's also a compliment to mark and LT.

yotamika, you should really contact the MT guys and see how much shipping to your place would be. you never know, it might be a good way to go. if you're not experienced with a bender, it'll also save you a ton of time and money in wasted materials. if you are good with a bender, then pics should be all you need.......
fwiw, i have known mark and LT for a few years and have wheeled with them on numerous occasions. they're great guys and i'm sure they'll be happy to help you if you wanna buy a set of theirs. all it takes is a pm, email or phone call. posting this thread in here without contacting them might not have been the best way to approach this.

mark and LT. i completely understand your guys' frustration about this and i agree. it sucks having to work this hard to come up with new and innovative products only to have somebody copy them. luckily, in this case, it's for personal use and hopefully not to make a bunch of them to re-sell on your coat tails. the cruiser communityt has been really fortunate in this area except for a couple of small issues likt the t-case savers ( nice work JT outfitters :mad3: ) but overall we've been much better off than the rest of the industry and have'nt been geigered. hopefully, it'll stay that way.

play nice fuckers! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
anyways, i don't think anybody's trying to rip anybody off here. just a guy who competes in some of the european trials and needs a set of tube fenders. so making them similar to the ones sold by metal tech is not only the smart way to go since they are a great design and work well, but it's also a compliment to mark and LT.

That's how I took, especially after noting that he is in Finland. Seems he's looking for another do it yourselfer who used bendtech to build himself some......honest enough of a question, to me?????? If I wasn't old school and used bendtech, I'd send you my files, no problem. Some of you guys are too damn sensitive as if someone shats in your cereal; everyday :flipoff2:

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
i don't think anybody's trying to rip anybody off here.
The problem with the internet is that you can never be certain of this, or who else might end up with such drawings down the road. Regardless of the intentions, the original request was out of line, IMO. If that makes me too damn sensitive, then so be it.

Since this thread will come up everytime someone searches for "drawings", I second Butch's suggestion to delete this thread.

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
That's how I took, especially after noting that he is in Finland. Seems he's looking for another do it yourselfer who used bendtech to build himself some......honest enough of a question, to me?????? If I wasn't old school and used bendtech, I'd send you my files, no problem. Some of you guys are too damn sensitive as if someone shats in your cereal; everyday :flipoff2:

How can I not take it personally when its my KIDS cereal that’s getting shit in. I did not start Metal-tech to make a lot of $$. In fact I took a huge pay cut to go full time at this. I do this because I like developing and making parts for Land Cruisers. In the last 6 years of building up this thing called Metal-tech every time the company needed a major investment (Commercial building, fork lift, stocking order of steel in the $1k’s) I did it by busting my ass at my corporate gig, until the time came where it was physically me full time the company needed. I continue to focus 75% of our advertising budget in grass roots events, (TLCA events, etc.) as well to support the community.

LT and I still have not taken a paycheck ever, how ever that needs to end soon. We know that rather than pulling $$ out, we can put it into our first employee so we did. We know that this will allow us to turn orders around quicker for customers. We know this will allow us to work on developing more new parts and start offering more of our kit form parts, built. The company is healthy and dept free (for now) because we bust our ass. We have never been in this for the short run, ever. So when I see wording asking for drawings and naming our parts directly, ya I get pissed.

I have no problem with a guy in his garage with a welder and a bender making parts, since I was once that guy too. In fact our #1 customer is a guy in his garage with a welder. Our #2 customer is a guy with a welder and a bender realizing it’s cheaper in the long run to buy the MT parts vrs. try to reproduce them exactly.

Yotamika: If it’s a language barrier and you’re just looking for photos, fine. Just please don’t ask for drawings specific to Metal-tech brand parts. Thank you. Oh and by the way its just under $150USD (About 108EUR) for a Nose Guard + shipping to Finland.

Mark

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Despite the language barrier, I thought he was asking for the 'bend card' for Metal Tech style fenders and therefore I agree that would be taking from Mark's business.

Disclaimer: I built my tube fenders before MT had a product. They are flat fender style - but I would love to build a set with a turn down like the MT. And even though I have the bender, die and tube to do it, with my limited time, it would likely be cheaper/easier to buy a set from MT.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
How can I not take it personally when its my KIDS cereal that’s getting shit in. I did not start Metal-tech to make a lot of $$. In fact I took a huge pay cut to go full time at this. I do this because I like developing and making parts for Land Cruisers. In the last 6 years of building up this thing called Metal-tech every time the company needed a major investment (Commercial building, fork lift, stocking order of steel in the $1k’s) I did it by busting my ass at my corporate gig, until the time came where it was physically me full time the company needed. I continue to focus 75% of our advertising budget in grass roots events, (TLCA events, etc.) as well to support the community.

LT and I still have not taken a paycheck ever, how ever that needs to end soon. We know that rather than pulling $$ out, we can put it into our first employee so we did. We know that this will allow us to turn orders around quicker for customers. We know this will allow us to work on developing more new parts and start offering more of our kit form parts, built. The company is healthy and dept free (for now) because we bust our ass. We have never been in this for the short run, ever. So when I see wording asking for drawings and naming our parts directly, ya I get pissed.

I have no problem with a guy in his garage with a welder and a bender making parts, since I was once that guy too. In fact our #1 customer is a guy in his garage with a welder. Our #2 customer is a guy with a welder and a bender realizing it’s cheaper in the long run to buy the MT parts vrs. try to reproduce them exactly.

Yotamika: If it’s a language barrier and you’re just looking for photos, fine. Just please don’t ask for drawings specific to Metal-tech brand parts. Thank you. Oh and by the way its just under $150USD (About 108EUR) for a Nose Guard + shipping to Finland.

Mark
:beer:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts