Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first off no, I didn't search.:flipoff2: I wanted to keep this amongst friends. Besides, if I post in the General section that I'm getting a bender for my DII, they'll turn me to cinders in a millisecond.:D

What benders are you guys using, and have you had any problems? I will be getting a manual unit for brush guards, ladders, etc. Nothing fancy, just something to play with in my garage. Plus, a friend of mine just got an H1 and I'll be building some stuff for that as well.

Finally, once I decide on the model, are there any places that are better than others as far as price?

Sincerest thanks.:)

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hey Greg,

I think that RoverHybrids bought a tubeshark (????). I was looking at them on the web and they seem like a pretty good bang for your buck.

Dunno where to buy 'em, so that's about it for my less-than-informative opinion.

tubing bender + tubing + welder = fun

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I run the standard run of the mill JD2 bender. It works great, but you have to be strong or heavy when your bending 1.5" .25 wall tube. I have to throw all of my weight at it to make a bend. Just for reference, I weight around 210-215lbs. But I do use a really short handle, maybe a bit to short. But I cant wait untill i can afford to go hydralic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Greg,
I use a JD2 model 3 bender with the hydraulic kit. I bought an Enerpac air/hydraulic pump and ram locally, saved a couple of hundred that way. I've had the same gouging problem some others on the board have had. It only does it with the 2" die never on the 1 1/2" one. Definitely buy the 180 degree dies over the 90. Do a search on the board to get the full story on the gouging problem.
For smaller tubing (square and round, under 1") and solid or flat stock try the bender from http://www.shopoutfitters.com. I've had one for for years and really like it. Harbor Freight has a knockoff version but it's a POS in comparison. Also no tube bending dies available for it.
If your ever in the Atlanta area you're welcome to try them out.
Later,
Mike Pado
:usa:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I have heard of the gouging on the JD2 dies. Anyone using the M-Tek bender?

Mike, the Tube Shark is about $3K if memory serves me correctly. Kinda out of the budget for that one. Gotta buy diapers 'ya know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a Pro 105 and have been very happy with it.
I've run a lot of sticks of 2" -1.20 HREW through it with no gouging.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff guys. Keep it comin'.

And I can't believe nobody flamed my friend for getting an H1.:p

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
RockRover said:
JD2 Model III....1.75 x 6.5r....Home build stand....5' handel.

Will gouge with HERW...Not with DOM.

Bought it here: http://www.vansantent.com

--D
Dam you! :flipoff2: That page is like crack to a tool junky like myself. I just dropped 300.00 on a whim!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Good thing you didn't talk with a salesman! He had me buying all kinds of neeto' stuff I JUST HAD TO HAVE, when I ordered my bender!

Careful!

-D

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I'll be building a bender shortly. I'll be abandoning a drum crusher in the plant-it has a two horsepower motor running the hydraulic pump and a HUGE cylinder! Now, I just have to figure out how to get it home! It's also explosionproof, should come in handy around my shop...

Now to convince my boss we really need to remove it from the plant and justify my taking it home.

Peace,
Paul

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts