Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a tubing bender(JD2 or similar type/size) to do a cage and some other odd crap on my FJ40.

I don't intend to do any mass marketing of stuff(not worth the hassle :p) I definately don't intend to lend it out(I keep hearing too many horror stories:( )

I'm looking at one size tubing on my Cruiser(1.75"). So I would probably buy just one die for the bender.

Would it be worth the money to go buy one? Or would I be better off trying to find one to rent? I know the pricing a shop would cost to have the type of cage I want built($$$$$$)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Id say go ahead and buy one.If you plan to stay into wheelin youll get your moneys worth out of it.
Do you already have a welder?Cause without one a bender is worthless.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the welder, angle grinder, circular saw, and sawzall. The only thing aside from the bender that I am missing is a chop saw or band saw.

Yes, I plan to say in wheeling as long as I can legal to do:p I've been into it for 10 years now, I don't see my attitude changing anytime soon :p:p

·
Registered
240 Posts
i know theres different thoughts on ways to notch tubing.Personally I wouldnt use anything but a tubing notcher.Its the clean way to go and its pretty fast also.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
if your inclined to fab your own stuff you just can't go wrong with a bender.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
camo said:
if your inclined to fab your own stuff you just can't go wrong with a bender.
So it would fall under the same catagory as a welder then: "nice to have if you can swing one" :p

Time to start saving my quarters :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
i bought a bender the type from harbor freight (12 ton jack style)but bought it new at a auto swap meet and neverlooked back, though i had ahard time bending tubing nice so , also usless if you intend to bend exaust or abouve 2" or so and it must be thick for it to bend nicely but i did my whole cage and ft end w/ it since the dies that they give you are way to big ffor the recomended tube i took a 1" or 1 1/4" die and ground it out to fit my tube i beleive 1.5" or 1 5/8" tube X.120 wall it bends awsome and for 100 dollers i feel this is a very well worth the money expence at least in my case
JOE

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
junkyard joe said:
i bought a bender the type from harbor freight (12 ton jack style)but bought it new at a auto swap meet and neverlooked back, though i had ahard time bending tubing nice so , also usless if you intend to bend exaust or abouve 2" or so and it must be thick for it to bend nicely but i did my whole cage and ft end w/ it since the dies that they give you are way to big ffor the recomended tube i took a 1" or 1 1/4" die and ground it out to fit my tube i beleive 1.5" or 1 5/8" tube X.120 wall it bends awsome and for 100 dollers i feel this is a very well worth the money expence at least in my case
JOE
Your refering to a "pipe bender". I believe that he is refering to a hausfeld style tubing bender.

·
Registered
405 Posts
junkyard joe said:
JOE
that was one long ass sentence :flipoff2:

·
Registered
488 Posts
yeah iknow he that he was referring to a tube bender and that i have a pipe bender but if all you are doing is bumbers , cages, ect , the "pipe" bender is much cheaper and gets the job done

also didnt know that people checked grammer on this board but good to know for next time

JOE

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ironpig70 said:
Lil'john you can also help out friends that are benderless!!!
:D :D What friends??:D :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
i say get one then you can put a cage on your cruiser or every car u ever buy. then u can always have something to do on a weekend... like build a go kart. i kinda want a bender so i can buy a lil vw or datsun 510 and strip everyting out of it and put in a cage... after i put a cage in my truck. how much are benders anyway?

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
pyros46290 said:
i say get one then you can put a cage on your cruiser or every car u ever buy. then u can always have something to do on a weekend... like build a go kart. i kinda want a bender so i can buy a lil vw or datsun 510 and strip everyting out of it and put in a cage... after i put a cage in my truck. how much are benders anyway?
for the whole setup with shipping you will spend about $700-$800 with one die...shipping is expensive so dont overlook it...

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
pyros46290 said:

I've got around $1400 into my setup(hydraulic) with 2 dies.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Anybody ever thought of building a bender? I saw one at the Famr Show a couple weeks ago that looks super simple. Check them out here The guy running the booth was bending 1 1/4" schedule 40 and DOM very easily and said it will bend 1 1/2" and 2" without putting it on hydraulics. I have thought about trying to build one of these, since price wise they are about the same as a JD2 bender. Then just buy the dies from them or they have a book that shows you how to make dies. He was even bending flat steel and all kinds of other cool shit.

John

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Benders are very cool... Either buy it or find someone who has one and is willing to help you out... My zuk cage was built in a day with one here at our house... The guys also built one for a jeep. too the same weekend.. They both turned out awesome... Some people think my cage was built with too much tube, (overkill) but I wanted it to be completly safe, as I have a 7 year old who will be riding w/ me as well as learning to drive the zuk ... Safe is Good...
If interested in fab work, contact Rudzuk, he and the others know there stuff, and are pretty willing to help out anyone in need...
Good luck... Buy the BENDER, you will not regret it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts