Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck weighs 5500lbs completely loaded with rockwells and 42's. Its a 77' f-250 and i'm about to start the cage. I know to use DOM for the main hoop, halo and ?A bar? but should i run 2" or 1.75 and if i run 2" could i run 1.75 for the front and the back half is already 1.75? How do you weld all they way around a joint near the roof if the roof stays on? I've got my flame suit on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As you said def use DOM in that heavy of a rig. As far as 2'' or 1.75 the 2" is obvioulsy gonna be a little stronger, just be sure to have a strong cage design with lots of triangles and minimal dead bars. You won't have any problems with mixing the two sizes. For the floor you can do it a few different ways, one which I don't personally don't recommend is to get your cage built then cut the tubes that run vertical and go through the floor to your frame and lower the cage so you can weld it, then sleeve the tubes and weld them back together. We always hole saw a hole in the floor and when it's all built grind the tack on the frame and lower the cage down, weld, pick back up ,and weld to frame.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
dont' know if you're buying a bender or having someone bend it for you....but i'd go with one size or the other, and probably 1.75 as its a little easier to work with, and marginally cheaper.

if you're already ballin and have a hydro bender with both dies, then disregard. and, i hate you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts