Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I priced out some tubing today. Hrew was $1.10 ft for 1.91 O.D. I asked for 2" and he said that is the closest to 2" he had. Do the make a 2" or is that the norm. I also asked for .125 wall so I dont know if the thickness makes a difference. Kinda like buying wood.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
No they make 2 inch. maybe he was trying to sell you pipe? The OD of 1-1/2 in pipe is 1.90 inches by my chart it is probably 1.91 by his chart. Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
wild1 said:
Ok I priced out some tubing today. Hrew was $1.10 ft for 1.91 O.D. I asked for 2" and he said that is the closest to 2" he had. Do the make a 2" or is that the norm. I also asked for .125 wall so I dont know if the thickness makes a difference. Kinda like buying wood.
I've been trying to get quotes on tubing locally and havin' a heckuva time.

I can get 1.5" ID/1.9" OD black-pipe for something like $1/ft IIRC.

I wanted TUBING though.

I can get 2"x.120 HREW grade "A36" for $1.67/ft when I buy 5 stick bundles. I'll have to drive the last 87 miles to go pick it up, and the supplier will actually be ordering out of Denver.

This stuff should be 36k-psi Yield and 58-80k Tensile.

I searched some more.. then, of all places, I found a MUFFLER SHOP that does stock-car fabrication on the side.. they can get me 1020 DOM tubing, 2"x.120, for $2.55/ft.

That's cheaper than I can buy it in Spokane, WA (they wanted $4/ft)

Course I'll still need to get the tubing home from Billings, MT (250 miles)..

The only stuff carried locally is some 1.5"x.095 that *I* feel is inadequate for my Scout.. even when it's $1.31/ft.

-Tom

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
scizout said:
DOM is a waste for a roll cage. Why spend the extra money? If NASCAR doesn't use it , we don't need it either.
Maybe you haven't seen the stupid stuff I do in my Scout? 60mph on the flats, then hit a jump, slide a turn, etc.

I already stood it on it's nose last year.

I probably don't NEED DOM.. but if the price difference is less than $1/ft.. why not? I don't plan on driving any slower - just faster.
Will my slow-going trail rig get DOM? *shrug* Maybe.. we'll see when I get there.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just did some searching and Nascar says for the rollcage you need 1-3/4" 90 wall seamless tubing, mild steel. I thought they required DOM with heavier walls than that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They might only require .090 wall because they use 2000' of the stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because most the cars in NASCAR use chrome-moly. IF I remember right, in the SCORE rulebook a vehicle that uses mild steel has a thicker requirement than those that use chrome-moly. Even remember seeing something in there about a small hole being drilled into the cage so it can be checked for right thickness.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
MdntRdr said:
Because most the cars in NASCAR use chrome-moly. IF I remember right, in the SCORE rulebook a vehicle that uses mild steel has a thicker requirement than those that use chrome-moly. Even remember seeing something in there about a small hole being drilled into the cage so it can be checked for right thickness.
And per the rules, my open-topped 3500-4000lbs rig needs 2"x.120 - 1.75" won't cut it.

Chrome-moly 4130 typically has a lower requirement because of it's higher strength. Thus, less weight = faster. :D

At one point, I thought the rules all called for "DOM" but I haven't seen that so much lately.

Might be partly because it's hard to tell after the cage is installed just what material it's made of - the inspection hole allows you to check the thickness (not to mention it lets the hot air escape while welding) but it doesn't tell you much about the type of material used.

-Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
If there isn't much price difference go DOM. I sell steel for a living and in my experience, DOm is usually quite a bit more. I think it just boils down to how you build it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
tubing vs pipe

Hey guys, how do you know if you are getting tubing or pipe? Also, what is the difference? I used sched 40 (I guess pipe) on my cage. The thickness and weight seemed a lot heavier than the stock Bronco cage or the Smittybuilt add-on. Anybody know a place in the South Sac area to get some tubing?

Also, what is everybody else using to bend their tube? I have a hydraulic jack bender that seems to work pretty well, but I've heard these aren't really ideal.

-Jack

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: tubing vs pipe

Sweet75 said:
Hey guys, how do you know if you are getting tubing or pipe? Also, what is the difference? I used sched 40 (I guess pipe) on my cage. The thickness and weight seemed a lot heavier than the stock Bronco cage or the Smittybuilt add-on. Anybody know a place in the South Sac area to get some tubing?

Also, what is everybody else using to bend their tube? I have a hydraulic jack bender that seems to work pretty well, but I've heard these aren't really ideal.

-Jack
Tubing is measured O.D. with a specified wall thickness - Pipe is measured I.D. and is sized by schedule number.

I use a JD2 bender...
www.JD2.com

Steve

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Re: Re: Tubing size

tsm1mt said:

I've been trying to get quotes on tubing locally and havin' a heckuva time.

I I can get 2"x.120 HREW grade "A36" for $1.67/ft when I buy 5 stick bundles. I'll have to drive the last 87 miles to go pick it up, and the supplier will actually be ordering out of Denver.
I searched some more.. then, of all places, I found a MUFFLER SHOP that does stock-car fabrication on the side.. they can get me 1020 DOM tubing, 2"x.120, for $2.55/ft.

That's cheaper than I can buy it in Spokane, WA (they wanted $4/ft)

Course I'll still need to get the tubing home from Billings, MT (250 miles)..

The only stuff carried locally is some 1.5"x.095 that *I* feel is inadequate for my Scout.. even when it's $1.31/ft.

-Tom

If you can get 2" x.120 DOM for $2.55 pft that is cheap! That is better than my cost at wholesale! 2" x.120 DOM for a Scout would be nice.:D

·
Registered
795 Posts
I buy 2" .120 wall D.O.M for 2.70 ft all day long from TW metals there nationwide . 32 hrew was 1.37 id rather spend the extra:smokin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts