Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tundra donor 4.7 V8 in a Cruiser

Did a search and didn't see much so let me fling this at you

Anyone have any experience with a 4.7 V8 in Cruiser? I am intrested in tranny and T Case combos and opinions or if it is even worth the effort.

It may seem like a strange option, but I have access to either a 4.3 vortec for free or a 4.7 V8 for only a couple hundred $$ more.

If I got either, I would have a motor prior to having a Cruiser, but that is just me, I justify the Cruiser by having the parts. :flipoff2:

Tim

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i hear it will be hard. check the hardcore section of the ih8mud forum for info. four-wheeler reviewed the new double cab tundra and said it was weak, but it should be fine in a cruiser.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr McGee said:
i hear it will be hard. check the hardcore section of the ih8mud forum for info. four-wheeler reviewed the new double cab tundra and said it was weak, but it should be fine in a cruiser.
I took a look at IH8MUD, didn't see anything though, I looked in the Hard Core thread. Hmmmm. Maybe I am blind.

I have driven a new Tundra, and no it is not bursting at the seam with power, but it is respectable. The gears in it seem tall.

I think the long pole in the tent with this conversion will be transmission and or adapters. The donor is 2wd and auto, not my preference.

Any thoughts?
Tim

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I looked into it long and hard. When I finally started sorting through the wiring issues and found out about wheel sensors that put me over the edge. I decided it was way too much work for the wiring I would have to do. How do you convert wheel sensors or bypass them? It isn't like a Chevy motor where you call up a place and they burn you a new chip. And because they are fairly new hardly anyone has tinkered with them in non original vehicles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was dreaming about a Lexus 4.0 1UZFE swap to a short wheelbase Cruiser with centered rear output (An oldest Toy meets newest Toy type thing). The 4.0 is the same block as the 4.7 only in aluminum not cast iron. I've pretty much given up on it.

The 4.7 and 4.0 were only available with auto tranny in the US. Fine, if you want an auto, you may be able to use the stock ECU.

If you want a manual the bellhousing and flywheel will need to be sourced overseas, but you'll have to go aftermarket ECU or contract with a ricer boy. http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/

These are the auto tranny options I thought about:

1. Homemade Adapter (BJ on Roids 45): This is probably the simplest. Run the stock 2WD auto and ECU, mate it to a transfer case. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118969&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

2. Divorce mounted transfer: Run the stock ECU and 2WD tranny. Wheelbase: 40 no way, a 45 or 60 maybe. http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm

3. 4.7/A340f/Marlin Adapter/Mini Transfer: Centered output, tranny from a '95+ V6 (strong enough?), The trannsmission shift is solenoid controlled, no idea of ECU/tranny compatability? Could be a direct plug in, could be a disaster. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autocrawler/

4. Stock Tundra/100 drivetrain swap: No gearing options unless Marlin's adapter works on the V8 version of the A340? Make sure you get the ECU and all the electronics, but will it work with the traction control/VSC, ABS and other crap chopped out?

5. 4.7/Stock A340F Bellhousing/A440 Tranny/ Split case: Far as I know the front of the A340 and A440 are the same. The FJ62 tranny is not electronically controlled but at least there are options with the split case. Maybe stock ECU issues if its looking for tranny status or adjusting the engine parameters for tranny shift points.

See a recurring theme here? ECU. I wouldn't do it unless a stock ECU could be run. Aftermarket ECU's are big $$$ and what would you do if it crapped out on you? At least I have some faith in stock Toyota stuff. The appeal and disadvantage of the 4.0/4.4/4.7 is that it's a high tech motor, getting it to fit and bolt up will probably be the easy part.

Big disclaimer: None of the above is verified, just my wild ass opinions,and half baked theory.:rasta:

Oh, here's the ih8mud link: http://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6763;start=msg55500

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Marlin has a Tundra in his shop right now. I do not have any details though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wish!!! I am behind the times with my 55 as I am installing a 1FZ FE and H150F. It will still be cool but not V8 cool. Unless I supercharge it:D :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cruiser Nerd said:
I was dreaming about a Lexus 4.0 1UZFE swap to a short wheelbase Cruiser with centered rear output (An oldest Toy meets newest Toy type thing). The 4.0 is the same block as the 4.7 only in aluminum not cast iron. I've pretty much given up on it.

The 4.7 that I have access to is a school trainer. Basically a two wire setup on an engine stand, toyota has done all the work on the engine and ECU. Now how well the thing will work off the stand is another story, but I am willing to try.
The driveline is my concern and you outlined those well. But what about a sm420? Is there a bell housing that will even come close?
I am probably totally :rasta: baked but... I am willing to try.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I am happy with it in my 1970 FJ45.
It is a good strong motor, with the power to snap parts on command. I enjoy it, it has a sweet sound, and is a good smooth runner for little $$.

I am glad I had the guys building my adapters that did. They can make anything fit anything, I could have had an SM465 or anything behind it!!

They put a similar motor in front of a unimog gearbox (that is 50 years old) and cast iron. So not a huge issue.

Custom bellhousing, or join two halve, or make a simple spacer. the shafts would be expensive, if staying stock auto, but if not going auto, then you can just buy a clutch and make sure it suits your gearbox. Get a custom flywheel, and adapt the bellhousing.

The computer is pretty complex, if you get a wiring diagram It won't be too hard. I have one in my 1970 cruiser. :D :flipoff2: Get cracking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Please don't put a hard shifting piece of crap 420 behind that work of art motor. Although 420s are strong and have there place it is not behind a Toy V8(IMHO) If there is a flywheel available run an H151F and transfer from an 80. That way when Marks gets their reduction box for the 80 done you can have the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
524 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
I have one in my 1970 cruiser. :D :flipoff2: Get cracking.
There, see, its been done. Old tech, pretty soon it'll be the standard motor swap for cruisers. Get cracking. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I think I'd try the FJ62 automatic route. If the motor is running on a stand with no speed sensor, it "should" do fine in front of a hydraulically controlled tranny. Easier bolt together deal, maybe. But then again, it "should" do fine with a manual also...................:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cruiser Nerd said:

I think I'd try the FJ62 automatic route. If the motor is running on a stand with no speed sensor, it "should" do fine in front of a hydraulically controlled tranny. Easier bolt together deal, maybe. But then again, it "should" do fine with a manual also...................:D
The "should" part is where pandora's box lies. I am going to give it a shot though. I really don't want a vortec V6 in a Cruiser.

Now that I have committed to an engine, guess I need to get off my ass and find a 40 to put it in. :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
i got the standard auto to shift manually (wherever i shift the T-bar) and it goes for that gear, also can start in any gear, and overfilled by two litres, and will run and get gears at next to vertical (before it would just rev and not get gears, so needed extra fluids)

should be sweet! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, since people are pushing autos, I do have many Cruiser autos from '88 to '95 and tranfers to match :D :D :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
lagwagon said:
I I am installing a 1FZ FE and H150F. It will still be cool but not V8 cool. Unless I supercharge it:D :D

Even with a supercharger its not a V8 :flipoff2: I was unaware that a supercharger adds cylinders:rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ouch Rockhugger! You are correct. Definitely does not add cyls but does add :eek: power. Boost is cool on any configuration or amount of cylinders:D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts