Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fully intend on replacing my tundra before doing any major towing, but a situation has come up and i need to tow a 16 foot trailer with a fullsize bronco on it. My question is whether or not you guys think it will do it. I do not have any type of bags or add-a-leafs in the rear to help out and was just planning on going a bit light on the tounge weight, but not too light. It will be towed about 125 miles from Amarillo, Texas to Lubbock, Texas, over land that is flat 98% of the time.

So do you guys think I can do it? Its scheduled to happen this Thursday, thanks for any help

Wes

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Do you have - or does anyone you know have... A weight distributing hitch/bars you could use/borrow? That would make it a LOT better.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, dont know anyone that has them, otherwise i know it woulda done it just this one time

any other suggestions that dont cost anything? ill only be towing at about 55-60 on the way back, just to make sure i dont have any issues.

wes

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k, thanks, have 4 heavy duty straps to use. haul a k5 blazer with a buddies 3/4 ton truck all the time its just that his truck is in the shop and we gotta get this bronco back here. thanks a lot

wes

·
Registered
986 Posts
Also, give yourself LOTS of breaking time. Emergency stops on any type of curve would be... adventurous. Otherwise you should be ok, just take it easy and don't overheat your tranny.

-J

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will stay out of overdrive, and im goin to take it real slow, not trying to win a race.

also just did a front brake job on the tundra, didnt realize it had 4 piston calipers, kinda nice knowing that

thanks for all the advice guys

wes

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Wes...
I tow my 4Runner on a flatbed behind my tundra...

Allow LOTS of room for stopping if you dont have trailer brakes.

But... i'll vouch for the stoutness of a Tundra... I got run off the road by an 18wheeler a while back... did a few 360's with the 4runner on the trailer...

no issues really other than a bent rim on the trailer...

But... the stopping power without trailer brakes leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chister said:
Wes...
I tow my 4Runner on a flatbed behind my tundra...

Allow LOTS of room for stopping if you dont have trailer brakes.

But... i'll vouch for the stoutness of a Tundra... I got run off the road by an 18wheeler a while back... did a few 360's with the 4runner on the trailer...

no issues really other than a bent rim on the trailer...

But... the stopping power without trailer brakes leaves something to be desired.
thanks for the first hand experience. im leaving out at around 10 in the morning to go pick this thing up. it oughta be interesting, pics soon to come!!

wes

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know how that is, made that mistake once already. im not goin to go real light with it, just dont want it almost at the bumpstops sitting there. we regularly tow a buddies k5 on this trailer with his 3/4 ton cheby, but his tow rig is in the shop. i know about where the bronco needs to go in relation to the trailer from hauling the k5. im just really lucky i dont have any ascents or descents between here and there, i will post up pics tomorrow when i get back

wes

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for the sake of when people search here is a review of how the tundra did.

it did well, a lot better than i thought. i pulled the thing at about 60 mph the whole way back of the ~120 mile trip. we could not get the suspension to compress very well on the bronco, so when i hit big bumps it went to swaying, so i would just slow down a bit until the swaying subsided and we were all good. i think one thing that the tundra needs is def a rear sway bar, and maybe even load helper bags. it always had plenty of power on tap, and i was happy with that side of things. one bad thing was that the trailer brakes were not working, so we had no brakes. despite this the 4 piston calipers on the front of the tundra seemed to stop quite well despite having 7000 pounds of extra weight behind it. i think that with brakes this thing woulda been a lot better. overall i think i can deal with this thing as a tow rig for a few more years til i graduate college. it exceeded my expectations, and im glad i finally had the oppurtunity to test it out as a tow rig.

heres a pic of the bronco loaded, and yes the guy is peeing behind the bronco/trailer.

wes

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Now thats a classic! (yes thats a guy peeing) . Glad to hear everything went well. that doesnt look like a very stout trailer. whats the gvw on that thing? and by the looks of it i would say your sway on bumps was due to not enough tounge weight.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
yep, looks like lack of tongue weight to me too.. and a pretty light trailer for a 5K + bronco... and no brakes.. jeez..

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope, tounge weight was spot on. the trailer is rated to tow 7k, trailer weighs around 1500, bronco weighs right at 5500. yes i know the no brakes thing was a killer, but it workt, and it got that pig home.

wes

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
actually, if the trailer is rated at 7k, that includes the weight of the trailer, so your actual towing capacity is 5500 which is right on. As far as tounge weight, you should have had at LEAST 700 lbs, which judging from the looks of the back of your truck, you dont have that much. Point being you made it home safe, so good job, just be careful.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
96zjlimited said:
actually, if the trailer is rated at 7k, that includes the weight of the trailer, so your actual towing capacity is 5500 which is right on. As far as tounge weight, you should have had at LEAST 700 lbs, which judging from the looks of the back of your truck, you dont have that much. Point being you made it home safe, so good job, just be careful.

Ryan
i knew it included the weight of the trailer, thats why i included it.

and the way i judged the tounge weight was by the time i had 800 pounds of feed in the bed of my truck, it was about at the same spot as it was then. i know thats a bad way to judge it, but it was the way i did it. im pretty sure i had the proper tounge weight.

wes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts