Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be doing the 305 conversion soon, But I am debating on weather todo a Auto or the SM420 I have.

What does it take mate teh auto to a Toy 3speed case?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha Well no kidding..

Any idea how much the adapter runs?

Any specific 350auto? Like out of what 2wd 4 wd eTC?

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you do not have the adapter already and if cost is an issue than just use the SM420. I changed my Fj40 from a TH400 to the SM420 and could not be happier. The adapter for the SM420 was about 1/4 the cost of the auto adapter.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 350, th350 and atlas combo. I am very happy with the th350. You will need an adapter from the th350 to the cruiser transfer case, or you could use your tax return on an atlas :D Overall should be a straight forward conversion

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If I didn't find a th350 and dana 20 mated together for cheap I would have gone the th350 and 205 if I could find it. The swap has been pretty straight forward. My tip of the swap is to not take your ujoint angles for granted.

I am using an ac condensor and fan from the pick and pull under the rear of the cruiser. I flipped and flopped (SO) the rear springs for added D-shaft length.

I removed the rear crossmember and replaced it with 2 inch solid rod.

I am using 2X4 steel tubing for the crossmember which is bolted to the bottom of the frame. The t-case and tranny sit above this.

I am going with the lokar shifter. Should work out to be a very clean install

Still have yet to figure out the front D-shaft.

arndog

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the th350/3 spd TLC setup. I am actually looking to take it out, I wanna go with SM420/D300 combo. So the whole setup is gonna be up for sale soon. (ready to bolt in if you are interested.) You can come drive it if you want. Runs perfect, has B&M floor shifter, AA adaptor. Do you have any leads on a Sm420, maybe we can make a trade so some sort.
I am in Sacramento.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
speaking of which... how would a TH350/205 combo crawl compared to a SM465/205 combo? The numbers are VASTLY different in the gearing, but there's always the magical torque convertor...

I'm at 53:1 now with the 465/205, but would be 21:1 (not including the TC) with the TH350/205 combo. doubler is not an option at this time, nor is an Atlas.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Tranny swapping?

I would personally stay with the SM420 for the 7.2:1 first gear!
If you don't mind shifting and don't need an O/D(doesn't sound like it if you want a TH350), Then go w/ the 420.
And by the way, what are all you guys doing for these center
output t-cases on right side cruiser diffs?

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well heres my thinking on the th350.

With the Sm420, 4.88s or 4.56s and the 3 speed t-case my low gear My crawl ration is what 60 to 1?

Inorder to get it above 100 to 1 I have to install a crawl box.

IF I go an auto, theres no need togo that low.

Not only all that, I just think it would be easier on my wife to wheel her cruiser with an auto.

Still thinking it though..

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Re: Tranny swapping?

kruzrtek said:
And by the way, what are all you guys doing for these center
output t-cases on right side cruiser diffs?
Kruzrtek
This... minitruck/cruiser hybrid.. cruiser center, sleeved over minitruck axle tubes with mini outers.. no more c-clips, and it holds up for my style of wheeling, which isn't as agressive as some here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Re: Tranny swapping?

Eskimo said:
This... minitruck/cruiser hybrid.. cruiser center, sleeved over minitruck axle tubes with mini outers.. no more c-clips,...
Now you got me thinking.... :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a Rebuild TH350 and NP205 combo along with a Rebuild 350 (all in a 1980 1/2 ton) for sale for $1800 for the complete truck. Surface rust but drives great. Lot's of parts to sell off.

I also have a 58" wide 9 rear that would be perfect for putting the above setup in a cruiser $300

Come pick up the whole package and drive it home.

The stock adapter on the TH 350 has a drive sleeve that wears out, mine is rebuilt/new.

Not the lowest gear setup you can run, but I'venever needed lower gears (east coaster) and with the 205, you won't break it!

The truck has a 44 front that would be ideal for cutting down - has the flat top nuckles for high steer and the thick wall housing...could use the front driveshaft as a donor too.

Located in VA

-Stumbaugh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts