Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's turbo 350, which is behind a mildly built 350SB has come apart twice on him in the same number of weeks. It was rebuilt with a manual valve body and running a 2500 stall speed converter. It lasted a couple days and lost 2nd gear due to the sprag bearing self destructing. He went through it again and it lasted a couple days again. Same thing....lost 2nd gear due to the sprag.
He was thinking of getting a TCI kit that supposedly eliminates the bearing failure but i'm wondering if something else could be wrong internally. Any ideas or suggestions?.. Thanks

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
were they the stock sprag?

you can buy aftermarket HD sprags

a good way to bust a sprag is from going in to reverse when still moving foward or vice versa

maybe hes not telling you the full story :confused:

·
Registered
392 Posts
i went through 4-th350's before going to a th400 and will never look back, it has taken the abuse of second gear scratch on 44" tsl's and laughed. i broke the 350's while i was still on 33's and 35's. i found a 400 out of a motor home that had the straight cut planetaries. look into a th400 before throwing more money into a 350 again. but this is just my .02.

Grant

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:
were they the stock sprag?

you can buy aftermarket HD sprags

a good way to bust a sprag is from going in to reverse when still moving foward or vice versa

maybe hes not telling you the full story :confused:

Ive seen that happen before. Actually I did that to a Hd powerglide in my 60 apache at 40 mph, Hard to belive but nothing broke. I wouldnt even consider going into that 350 again. Go 400 or 700. Theres a reason I have 4 broken Th350s, well never again.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
It sounds to me like it was not rebuilt right or your not getting the true story.
I run a well built th-350 in my fullsize blazer with 400 ponies and tow heavy loads about twice a week and wheel it regularly, it has never given me any problems..
Remember with a th-400 you lose about 30 hp.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BEAR said:
It sounds to me like it was not rebuilt right or your not getting the true story.
I run a well built th-350 in my fullsize blazer with 400 ponies and tow heavy loads about twice a week and wheel it regularly, it has never given me any problems..
Remember with a th-400 you lose about 30 hp.
.....that's what I was asking I suppose. The guy that rebuilt it originally, and went back into it the second time, is a friend of mine that has built numerous powerglides for drag racing. His 'glide lives behind a 700hp 427 Windsor. He has several other trannies running behind other drag cars also, but he has built very few Turbo 350's. Is there anything blatently different in a 350 VS a Glide, as far as rebuilding them?
Sons truck is a 93 S10 with a "warm" 350 engine. I was with him both times that the truck was driven after the 2nd time the tranny was apart, so I know what the trans. was subjected to prior to losing 2nd gear. It shifts hard, being a manual valve body, but I've seen built 350's stand up to more abuse than what this one has received.
Thanks for the replys so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts