Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I paid $1200 for mine. It needed a head gasket and timing chain.

I bought another that needed same/same for 1/2 that a year later.

IMHO, they arent very desirable due to the fact that all 86-87 22RTE 4Runners are automatics and no respectful wheeler would run an auto :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
DEPEDABLE THOW

AND a 5SPEED COULD BE PUT IN IN A WEEKEND.

AND THE TURBO COMES WITH alot of goodys too.

the cool door pannels,the v-6 rear,
the better brakes,

rear heater too,headlite reminder even,alot of cool little neat stuff,

Oh a inclinometer too.

tilt a,c, Digital dash too.mine even works good too.:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
4RUNNERJADE said:
DEPEDABLE THOW

AND a 5SPEED COULD BE PUT IN IN A WEEKEND.

AND THE TURBO COMES WITH alot of goodys too.

the cool door pannels,the v-6 rear,
the better brakes,

rear heater too,headlite reminder even,alot of cool little neat stuff,

Oh a inclinometer too.

tilt a,c, Digital dash too.mine even works good too.:D
If you know any one who needs a digital dash cluster let me know. I have one from a 86 runner.... $50.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
The only reason to go with the turbo instead of the V6 is if you like to massage engines, the turbo will put out more than the V6 when warmed over. And, I *think* it's easier to go dual cases with the turbo/5speed than the chain drive V6. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to look for them.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Personally, I'd never buy a V-6 truck. No reason to if you build your truck right. But I also agree that an RTE is not needed. KISS is my motto and a 22RE with a cam/header/exhaust turns my 35's with 5.29 gears fine. The only reason to buy an RTE 4Runner is that it is about the most loaded that you can get since they all have the digital dash, SR5 everything and the special turbo interior. Other than that, you're getting a slightly more HP engine which is more costly to repair/service and an auto, and IFS.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Ya, that POS fully loaded rust free in New England black 4Runner with DOA guides, new t chain and head gasket, and 2" body lift. :)

H2O-hs said:

Umm- Aren't I the sap that bought that second pos from you Foxfab?????? :)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Foxfab said:
Personally, I'd never buy a V-6 truck.
Two good reasons to get a V6 rig:
(1) It's a good deal, sitting in front of you, and you want it, while that 22RE you want just isn't in the classifieds, and you're tired of waiting.
(2) Upgraded rear end, brakes, newer engine than many 22REs...no exploding engines when the timing chain goes loose. Lots of people are *putting* the V6 equipment into their 22RE rigs because of all of the factory upgrades, why not just get them to begin with?

Yeah, the 22RE is a breeze to work on, but the V6 isn't really that bad, no worse than most modern engines, and they do last a long time (mine still gets 18-19 mpg, 35s with 4.88s, 180K on the clock, and I haven't so much as adjusted the valves in 3 years...)

·
Registered
726 Posts
e said:

If you know any one who needs a digital dash cluster let me know. I have one from a 86 runner.... $50.

You have mail,

1st in line for digital dash,

will it work in non turbo /4runner/truck too ?

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
NAD said:
What, my post about 8 hours ago doesn't put me first in line?
Ya it would if this was the for sale section, but it's not, so with that in mind, e, next time don't be a parasite trying to spam a for sale in a tech post.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i finally got around to going and checking it out... It has brand new Interior but has 274,000 miles:eek: I figure since its a toyota its just getting broken in though:D Needs tires, nice rims though:D The only things that need to be done is tires and painting the fenders and a door.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My 86 turbo 4runner was a piece of junk, auto tranny never worked right shifted all over...2200 to rebuild!...dog on freeway, worse on petrol, but it could have been the one lemon I got stuck with...sold it for 4400, boy was I glad to dump it....mo .03 1/2 worth.

·
Registered
726 Posts
toyotaboy said:
Well i finally got around to going and checking it out... It has brand new Interior but has 274,000 miles:eek: I figure since its a toyota its just getting broken in though:D Needs tires, nice rims though:D The only things that need to be done is tires and painting the fenders and a door.

FYI******Take the time to do at least a compression check,

2. and take the air intake tube off and feel turbo SHAFT up and
down ***FOR SHAFT WHOBBEL = not good at all,
thay spin at like 60.000 rpm's

and very $$$$ to find a working turbo.

just my .03

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Ya, and turbos on these things are only good for 100K, so its either been REAL lucky or changed out 1-2 times already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it has larger than stock tires (225-235/75/15) with the stock 4.10 gearing, the turbo will have been worked (Friend had the original turbo go after 75k and apparently crappy rebuilt unit toast after 25k pushing 31's w/4.10's just daily driving)...and check the axle code on the firewall plate, not sure but I believe some 86's came with the 4 cyl third.
Price? Mileage on motor/turbo(s?) a good reason to walk away from a potential $$$ headache, plus ~$600 for a 5 speed and parts to convert, and a possible headache finding one. But yeah, like 4runnerjade said check it out thoroughly, and they are kinda funky what with the "turbo" logo on the steering wheel, the seats, the tailgate, and eventually your wallet...so if they want you to open the bidding offer em $1000

1 - 20 of 21 Posts