Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have this draw-thru turbo system (draws air/fuel thru turbo) how could I convert this to a pusher-type system???

the carb attaches to the opening in front on the turbo itself, can a carb-hat of some sort contain the 8lbs +/- pressure???

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
bolt a carb on the intake, and then modify the inlet to push into the carb, then get a hobbs switch to up the fuel pressure for boost.

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
One thing that they showed to do in a magazine (hot rod) was enclose the carb in a sealed box. what this does is allow the carb to basically flow almost 2x it's rated CFM.

PM me if you want me to bust the mag out and quote it word for word.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You gotta do wierd stuff to the carb to make a blow through turbo setup work good. Check out the old school HP book by Hugh McInnes. explains how to modify a vacuum secondary carb to have the secondaries controlled by boost pressure, That makes things tunable.

I don't see how hobs switches adjusting fuel pressure would work on a carbed motor, but I don't know.

enclosing the carb is the way to go. otherwise you have pressurised air fuel squirting out throttle shafts, and all kinds of other problems.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
then get a hobbs switch to up the fuel pressure for boost.
exactly how does that work?

mods
boost reference the fuel pressure regulator so the relative pressure stays constant

on a holley feed additional fuel through the PVCR so you can keep the main jets small for off boost driveability

start main jets fat and tune down to safe A/F

·
Registered
278 Posts
There's a publication(newsletter) published out of Florida called "Turbo Safari", or "Real Safari"... something to that effect written by Dick Datsun. Holleys can take up to 15lbs of boost before the seals and body can't take no more. The floats have to be replaced with the foam core type to keep them from imploding. A box can work but in my opinion a lot of unneccesary work for the small amount boost that you will probably want to use.
The publication mostly covers AMC and Studebaker motors but, a lot of the info/tech is transferable to other makes/set-ups.
To get an idea of the power available with blow thru:
There is one Stude from Indiana (called the Chicken Hawk)running a bone stock Stude 289 (stock heads and crank) with a homemade sheet metal aluminum intake, twin turbo's (T04's) and dual 4-barrels running consistant 10.60 sec Qtr's w/ a 3200lb car and 10" slicks. I think he's running upwards of 18-20lbs of boost!

You'll want to be running a small turbo (as you probably already know) to build the boost fast and at low rpms for crawling.
I saw one stude that had plumbed in a radiator neck on the boost side of the turbo for a blow off valve. He just changed the caps for differnt boost settings.
Anyways, do a search for the publication and author that I mentioned above and I think a lot of your questions will have been addressed and you can find some info that your looking for.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Should make it a suck threw stetup- but the bad thing about that is that fuel goes threw the turbo ( lots of turbo bugs are like this and ray jay used to have kits for pinto motors and stuff liek taht)

A blow threw setup would need the carb pressurized. Mopar hadda car witha 340 that was turbo'd witha carb. It had lots of problems and the floats in the carb would collapse from "boost"

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Why do you want to switch?

·
Banned
757 Posts
Draw through setups have such a slow throttle response, And the intercooling possibility's just are not there. As where a trusty blow through setup, Has great throttle response and such. The crushing the floats thing, Can be an issue, But aslong as you have floats that can take it and a proper blow off valve, You should normally get away, With out to many prob's..
With a blow through setup, You'll want to run a 1:1 fuel preesure regulator in refrence with boost( cannot be ran after throttle plate). I know for a FACT a holley can take alot of boost, You'll want to replace the float bowl gaskets as they like to go around 15+ pounds, Even NEW holley ones will take it, But after many jet changes, ANd years of use the gaskets will become a giant fuel I.V.
I have lot's of experience with turbo'd carb'ed toyota motors and have done a few blow through setups on chevy V8's, So feel free to shoot any questions, And i am sure between somebody we can answer it....

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CRAZY MATT said:
Should make it a suck threw stetup- but the bad thing about that is that fuel goes threw the turbo ( lots of turbo bugs are like this and ray jay used to have kits for pinto motors and stuff liek taht)
this set up is an Ak Miller/Rayjay turbo set up for 2.0L Pinto.

I've just had A LOT of people warn me about "turbo-lag" while wheeling:eek::eek: as in "I NEEDED THROTTLE THEN, not now":shaking:

just second thoughts on an incomplete system

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
HighHooder said:

this set up is an Ak Miller/Rayjay turbo set up for 2.0L Pinto.

I've just had A LOT of people warn me about "turbo-lag" while wheeling:eek::eek: as in "I NEEDED THROTTLE THEN, not now":shaking:

just second thoughts on an incomplete system
here is one thing that I don't get in reference to wheeling and turbos. most of the time when I *really* need the power, I'm already running around 3-4k RPM, so the boost should already be built up at that point. With a smaller turbo, you should have most of your max boost built by 2500 RPM or so, so you should be fine (I would think).

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If ya want throttle response witha turbo, run a grainger valve , port the exhaust mani, swingvalve and run 3" exhaust

witha non intercooled motor it should be pretty responsive

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
why not swap a factory turbo motor in? I have a friend that has a merkur x4ti that runs a [email protected] 110mph and the motors stock - for mods it hasa IC, ported intake/ exhaust mani's and ~25 psi of boost - plus it runs on mopar electronics:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Wideopen said:
Draw through setups have such a slow throttle response, And the intercooling possibility's just are not there. As where a trusty blow through setup, Has great throttle response and such.

I beg to differ on that my last suck threw car ran badass and got on boost hard enough in 2nd to burn the tires off.

Most reasons suck threw stuff is laggy is because of the exhaust is restricted or ur not running a grainger valve ( ie keeping the wastegate closed)

blow threw stuff is not laggy most the time till you intercool it

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CRAZY MATT said:

Most reasons suck threw stuff is laggy is because of the exhaust is restricted or ur not running a grainger valve ( ie keeping the wastegate closed)

m

well, I don't have a wastegate on this system:eek: should I be concerned???:grinpimp:

all the porting and polishing and gasket matching has already been done (just short of race specs)

and I'm into this motor for more than it's worth so switching to a turbo block (xr4ti) is monetarily out of the question.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sweet no waste gate:D

can always just inject it with a intake manifold and use a different distributor - does a 2.3 intake bolt to a 2.0 head?

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CRAZY MATT said:
Sweet no waste gate:D

can always just inject it with a intake manifold and use a different distributor - does a 2.3 intake bolt to a 2.0 head?
no on the intake question, but at http://www.esslingerracing.com/catalog/contents.htm I can get pretty much everything I need to inject it for around $1200 +/- ... if I only had an extra $1200... :idea:anybody want to buy a piece of glass:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
this was the one page I had in mind for the blow thru setup.
It's a larger motor than yours.. but running 10.4's @ 132mph, on 15psi, using a 600 holley, junk yard parts, and PVC intake piping is pretty damn impressive to me..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
HighHooder said:

no on the intake question, but at http://www.esslingerracing.com/catalog/contents.htm I can get pretty much everything I need to inject it for around $1200 +/- ... if I only had an extra $1200... :idea:anybody want to buy a piece of glass:flipoff2:

That sucks!!!

might be doable to builda intake from scratch or usea 2.0 intake flange on a 2.3 intake with a custom plenum. Could always add some injector boss's to the intake u havea and makea plenum to bolt to the intake as is

It should make 300hp easy if ya got the right parts in it

does a 2.3 head bolt to the 2.0 block?

Whats the motor going in?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts