Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so long story short I bought a truck with a 22ret and the block/head/turbo(pretty much the whole dam motor lol) was toast. Instead of spending a fortune on 22ret parts. I decided to just drop a 22re in instead. Cheaper to build and the turbo doesn't do all that much any how. I have the turbo efi, I'm wondering is there a difference. I know of course that I'm going to run a different exhaust manifold. I don't know if I would have a problem running the turbo efi on a regular 22re.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Clearly you've never driven a turbo truck. The turbo does plenty, night and day IMO. As far as swapping, I don't know enough about how they adjust fueling (all afm, or MAP). I'd do some poking around , you may just be able to get away with a ECM swap.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
the turbo does a lot. the problem was the 100k before a turbo rebuild on the ct20.

The turbo efi has a different cab harness and engine harness. Get a 22re harness for your year truck along with the 22re efi and harness.

Or, go t-3, t-4 hybrid, put turbo pistons and oil pump in the lower end of the 22re, and leave the head alone. Don't even do the minor head work to lower the compression like the factory ret heads get. Just run better bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet easy enough. And actually I've owned a few turbos. Besides if I really want to go back to one I got all the stuff. Just didn't feel like spending the money. 1,500 vs 4,000 (the way I would do it) easy choice.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I knew a guy in a similar situation back in highschool.

The turbo was hosed, so they pulled it and swapped manifolds. His was the same year as my truck, but extended cab. Mine was single cab, 22R, long bed..

It seemed like his truck was a lot slower, but I also think it still had the turbo motor so the compression was much lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts