Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a suzuki 1.6L 8 valve EFI and I need to get some info on a turbo set up. I've been thinking about doing it and this may be a good time since the engine has been pulled apart since a head gasket blew and might have a bent rod also. While everything is apart, this may be the right time to go ahead and do this mod.

First thing I want to know is how will a turbo affect my performance? I know it will give me extra HP from the boost but how much boost to give it and will the fact that my rig is geared so low (6 to 1 Tcase & 5:89 Diff) and revs quite high, will that make a difference on the amount of Turbo Boost it can receive. I basically want to know if it's going to be worth the money. I don't want the kind of Turbo that give you the top end power but also has the 3 second lag before it kicks in. I'd rather have the instant boost but less at the top end.

What kind of kits are out there and how well do they perform? What mods do I need to do on my engine to get it ready for the Boost?

Thanks guys.

Is it even worth it? Maybe I should just go V-6 now and sell my 1.6...............hmmmmm

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not going with a turbo, I'm installing a VOLUMEX Supercharger that give my 1.6 8V a litle boost. Well it's not finished yet, but I will run it with 0.6bar boost, a air cooler and a modyfied head with a little bigger valves, so I expect to get 160hp and near to 200NM.

I will try this before swapping a heavy engine

URL=http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8020109ua5.jpg]
[/URL]

·
Registered
98 Posts
The master brake cylinder a one of a toyota, that's why the supercharger is so high, and under the supercharger I have installed the power steering pump

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a suzuki 1.6L 8 valve EFI and I need to get some info on a turbo set up. I've been thinking about doing it and this may be a good time since the engine has been pulled apart since a head gasket blew and might have a bent rod also. While everything is apart, this may be the right time to go ahead and do this mod.

First thing I want to know is how will a turbo affect my performance? I know it will give me extra HP from the boost but how much boost to give it and will the fact that my rig is geared so low (6 to 1 Tcase & 5:89 Diff) and revs quite high, will that make a difference on the amount of Turbo Boost it can receive. I basically want to know if it's going to be worth the money. I don't want the kind of Turbo that give you the top end power but also has the 3 second lag before it kicks in. I'd rather have the instant boost but less at the top end.

What kind of kits are out there and how well do they perform? What mods do I need to do on my engine to get it ready for the Boost?

Thanks guys.

Is it even worth it? Maybe I should just go V-6 now and sell my 1.6...............hmmmmm

I'd say you need to know more about turbos etc. first. You need to know how the "Turbo Boost" works if you're going to do it.

Gonzalo Bravo on here also has a supercharger. Here's the thread. There's also at least one guy on here with a turbo'd 1.6. I tried to find the thread, but there's 9 pages of results when you search this forum for "turbo".

So go read all that shit and maybe you'll learn something that'll help. :D

·
turd-polish-a-go-go
1,073 Posts
you know, i've always seen the little 4's as good candidates for turbos with their super-high powerband, especially the way we gear down and try to run them on the street...

...but zona, who the hell would bother putting a turbo (or any hot-rodding money for that matter) in to an 8V, when there's a perfectly good 16v that more or less bolts right in, and has an established aftermarket from the rice-burner crowd?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swapping to something bigger just doesn't seem like the right thing to to do at this point now that I think about it. I would probably end up with a much longer drivetrain and my wheelbase is already long enough at 104" and with it being linked in back, it flexes quite a bit and I don't want to shorten the driveshaft, not to mention mess with a new wire harness and all that other crap. That would be a pretty large job and a lot of things might have to be chaged around. And the more I have read up on Turbo's and asked other folks, they can be a real nightmare and money pit, always having to adjust them and what not.

I know a 16V would give me more HP but I was told awhile ago that they are problematic and the parts are hard to find. Thinking of what else I could do to get a few more pony's out of this.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
T25 from a 2nd Gen DSM would be a wicked candidate for any small boosted applications. You would have to make a custom exhaust manifold, piping (exhaust, intercooler *if you run one*, BOV, etc), engine management system, fuel delivery.

I am gonna run a MR2 Supercharger as it has a button controlled clutching system :grinpimp: Power On, Power Off :flipoff2:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Here's a manifold. 1.6 8v

http://www.swiftgti.com/

Tracker/Sidekick 8 Valves
Price : CDN$ 499.00

Here are some rods which you will most definitely need.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

If it was me, I would ditch the EFI and run a Propane turbo setup on a draw through system. Easier to set up, high octane rating, simple tuning, etc. etc.

I personally would use a Garrett GT2554r :smokin:

Good Luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think I remember a discussion somewhere on pirate about a blow through turbo setup using propane. They said that some mixers have a boost reference port and are designed for a blow through setup.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here we go :D
click me

I don't know if the mixers us zuk guys use are set up the same way. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i have a turbo setup on my 8v

Well, how about some details on it man? I looked up your old posts and only see one pic of it.

Also, do any of you guys have any other links to some good reading on propane turbo set-ups? :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts