Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I built a nice turbo set up for my honda. For a blow off valve I run a 1st gen DSM, easily the best jy bov, as good as any after market piece. I use a free program called UberData to write my fuel and timing maps.To me your project screams megasquirt. If you want to stick to the FMU and away from computer tuning I have seen people run them with an MSD BTM to pull timing as boost increases. An EGT guage is also a small investment in monitoring engine performance and keeping things "safe".

Here is an example of a FMU/BTM setup being utilized with some success. -> http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1426775

Cool project, good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice job Sean.
This thread has me thinking about getting away from my propane setup and going back to pump gas.
Keep the propane but set up the turbo on it.. got propane has great info and can get you what u need... propane with a turbo would kick ass as it is a higher octane.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how much have you cut your guards out & how much uptravel do you run?
im impressed that you can jump a spua rig on 35" boggers without bodylift etc!
any pics of the suspension setup/cut guards?

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
how much have you cut your guards out & how much uptravel do you run?
im impressed that you can jump a spua rig on 35" boggers without bodylift etc!
any pics of the suspension setup/cut guards?
I put a set of 34X9 Swampers on my Zuk for the GonZookin Suzuki Event last week since I was not interested in rock-rashing my new Boggers. This is SPUA with the Trail Tough Missing-Link kit in the front and it uses Heep CJ 2 1/2" wide rear springs in the front (look just like the Wrangler YJ springs, but are a little stiffer and about 2" taller). I bought the Sammy with the fenderwells already cut out and so I welded new sheet metal in and the end result gave me enough clearance for the 35's ....even SPUA! The up travel is about 4 inches before it hits the bump stops and the down travel is not as good as it would be if I used a set of stock YJ springs since the CJ rears are a little stiffer. The trusses are a definite must have as I have bent MANY front and rear housings without them! This Zuk is built for Jumping and Tough Truck Racing......not rock crawling, but it did well the last weekend at GonZookin in the rocks so it may stay SPUA instead of SPOA........we'll see!

HTH you figure out what you want to do....

Sean

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd think SPUA would handle better in tough truck comps. Less body roll.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I just picked up my T28 for my 1.3 8v Turbo project. Gonna bench make it on another block before I tear out the engine thats in it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
hey i have an 88 tin top that im about to put a 16v 1.6 in would it be worth it to put this teho4 i have out of a mishibitchy in it im just gonna put it all together for a street driver im not even gonna lift it i want a sleeper til i get yotas and 36s :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
hey never mind any body want to buy a dt04 for 50 bucks

·
Registered
606 Posts
nothing that i know of but i guess its really worth 75 to 100 bucks and ill ship on your dime all the hoses are still there and have the down pipe

·
Registered
2 Posts
You make a real good daily drive set-up and it give a clean look under the hood.Can you make a list of part you by in junkyard and in the market with price, it will be really appriciate.I plan to do someting like that.
p.s. Excuse my english, i'm a french guy from Quebec.
Tank you for your thread.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dude, just read the thread. He pertty much lays all the parts out you need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am looking to put turbo on 1.6 8valve and I didn't find anyone do it allready.
I was reading a lot about turbo installs on engines not designed to have turbo and my main concern is how will all the ECM inputs work when pressure will be obtained instead of vacuum in the inlet manifold. How will that affect on MAP sensor (manifold air pressure sensor) and all the vacuum lines going to distributor and EGR valve....etc??? Also I am very suspicious how to increase fuel volume on TBI setup???
I am very interested in turbo setup on my zuk casue I'm doing allot of mud racing and hillclimbing on loose ground...mud...and snow and I am desperate for power and still want to keep it lightweight (no V8).
If anyone could help me solving my doubts about turbo.....thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I am looking to put turbo on 1.6 8valve and I didn't find anyone do it allready.
I was reading a lot about turbo installs on engines not designed to have turbo and my main concern is how will all the ECM inputs work when pressure will be obtained instead of vacuum in the inlet manifold. How will that affect on MAP sensor (manifold air pressure sensor) and all the vacuum lines going to distributor and EGR valve....etc??? Also I am very suspicious how to increase fuel volume on TBI setup???
I am very interested in turbo setup on my zuk casue I'm doing allot of mud racing and hillclimbing on loose ground...mud...and snow and I am desperate for power and still want to keep it lightweight (no V8).
If anyone could help me solving my doubts about turbo.....thanks.
Darrin aka: "WILDGOODY" over on the ZUKIWORLD forum (www.zukiworld.com) put a turbo on a 1.6 8 valve with good success. I would send him a private message over there asking about his build up as an 8 valve is just a little different than the 16 valve as mine does not use a MAP sensor, just a MAF sensor. I am certain he can help you with your turbo setup :p

Sean

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would suggest doing some more google searches on turbos. There's a LOT of area to cover with vacuume lines, PCV & misc sensors. I believe wildgoody experimented with bigger injectors (nissan & ford) and other goodies. There is no "step by step" guide for turboing the Suzuki motor. The cloesest you're going to get is on turbo heavy foums like teamswift, turbomustang, junkyardturbo etc. Spend a lot of time reading and taking notes. I'm slowly planing a build myself, and will be adding to my thread for it as I learn more and more... but for now, we're pretty much on our own... unless you want to spend a few grand having someone make you a setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweet build! I actually started to gather parts ~3 months ago to build a similar engine hehe... I'll be using a mitsu 13g from a volvo 850/S70 with a built-in BOV.

I was planning on going megasquirt, to use bigger injectors without having to mess with the stock ecu. I understand the stock AFM output is current-based, instead of voltage based. This will not work with the apexi units (or any other aftermarket piggyback unit out there fyi...)

Another member here had a similar setup (jardamuth), and he had a custom made piggyback unit build to work with his setup. However, at ~$250 for the piggyback, I figured Id just use megasquirt and have a fully programmable ecu.

Also, my G16B has the newer style coil&igniter built-into-the distributor assy. This makes using a MSD BTM almost impossible, since it needs to be connected between the igniter and coil.

Anyway, quick question for you: you said you are running ~7psi of boost, with the stock injectors and stock FI system, except for less timing advance and the fuel press regulator, right? Any other changes youve made to run 7psi safely?

It also seems from your first post that you didnt had the press reg installed on the first few days, am I right? If so, you pretty much had everything stock except for the ign timing changed and @7psi. That'd be VERY impressive for a stock FI system to handle...

21 - 40 of 71 Posts