Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sweet build! I actually started to gather parts ~3 months ago to build a similar engine hehe... I'll be using a mitsu 13g from a volvo 850/S70 with a built-in BOV.

I was planning on going megasquirt, to use bigger injectors without having to mess with the stock ecu. I understand the stock AFM output is current-based, instead of voltage based. This will not work with the apexi units (or any other aftermarket piggyback unit out there fyi...)

Another member here had a similar setup (jardamuth), and he had a custom made piggyback unit build to work with his setup. However, at ~$250 for the piggyback, I figured Id just use megasquirt and have a fully programmable ecu.
Also, my G16B has the newer style coil & igniter built-into-the distributor assy. This makes using a MSD BTM almost impossible, since it needs to be connected between the igniter and coil.

Anyway, quick question for you: you said you are running ~7psi of boost, with the stock injectors and stock FI system, except for less timing advance and the fuel press regulator, right? Any other changes youve made to run 7psi safely?

It also seems from your first post that you didnt had the press reg installed on the first few days, am I right? If so, you pretty much had everything stock except for the ign timing changed and @7psi. That'd be VERY impressive for a stock FI system to handle...
Sorry for bringing this back up after months, but I got a PM asking me to answer a few questions.

The coil and igniter in the distributor can actually be rewired for external components very easily.

That is correct.... I am running 7 psi with the stock computer, stock, wiring, stock injectors, & stock fuel system and ran it that way for the first few weeks with no issues. All I did at that time was to adjust the timing. I installed an AEM UEGO to meter the Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) and saw that it was leaning out at above 6 psi so I added the Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) for added protection. This made it run a little rich and instead of lean so it was safer at higher boost.

So yes, the stock motor and components can safely handle 5-6 PSI with no issues and I ran it really hard even before I installed the RRPFR and the AFR meter.

I am certain that with the right tuning this could be even faster! If you get to the point where you have a Megasquirt setup ready for the 1.6 16 valve motor just let me know....I'd love to test one out!

Sean (Pulling all this TURBO stuff out and selling it! ..Making room for the new 2.3 Liter!) DeVinney

·
Registered
81 Posts
just so you know, there is a company in quebec that makes a turbo manifold for the 16valve, but they dont list a phone number, and im not sure if they speak good english
turbinetech.ca
i think

·
Registered
81 Posts
oh, sweet, they didnt have a phone number on their site last time i was on it
one day......compound charged 16valve MUAHAHAHAHAHA:rolleyes::rolleyes:

not even sure why i would do that, but it look menacing
id like to just buy that manifold and only use it as a normal exhaust manifold, they are "pretty"

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone considering this avenue of forced induction there's a GREAT and I mean literal Bible of turbo's by Corky Bell taught from the beginner level called "Maximum Boost". Go get it and learn, what you think is right is likely wrong by the way too.... Just some food for thought, this is how I put a Dodge Omni Turbo into the low 10's in the 1/4 for less then 3 grand....

Hope this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Will any of those mani's fit a GT motor that's in a Sammy? You know I'm in the market for an exhaust mani to hold my T25 that I pulled from my mazdaspeed Protege. My plan is to rebuild the T25 with guts from a GT28RS!! I just need a damn Mani that doesn'y cost as much as my motor!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perfect timing! I've just started to build my turbo vitara last week . Too bad, I wasn't sure the stock ecu was able to handle boost, so I started by installing a megasquirt.

I have it running on the MS2 right now. Cold starts are rough and during warmup it hesitates a bit. When engine gets warm it is ok (not perfect). I found a stock ecu connector, so I built a small harness that interfaces the stock ecu harness to the MS2 db-37 connector. (ie stock harness is untouched!)

I installed suzuki baleno (esteem?, J18 engine) red injectors. They flow ~270cc/min compared to the stock INP-470 170cc/min g16b injectors. The car runs like crap with the new injectors and stock ecu (no kidding!), so it's only running w/ the MS2 now.

I also installed the intercooler in front of the water radiator (no A/C on my car).

I just got back from the shop, they welded my log-type manifold.

pics and progress report to follow....

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Perfect timing! I've just started to build my turbo vitara last week . Too bad, I wasn't sure the stock ecu was able to handle boost, so I started by installing a megasquirt.

I have it running on the MS2 right now. Cold starts are rough and during warmup it hesitates a bit. When engine gets warm it is ok (not perfect). I found a stock ecu connector, so I built a small harness that interfaces the stock ecu harness to the MS2 db-37 connector. (ie stock harness is untouched!)

I installed suzuki baleno (esteem?, J18 engine) red injectors. They flow ~270cc/min compared to the stock INP-470 170cc/min g16b injectors. The car runs like crap with the new injectors and stock ecu (no kidding!), so it's only running w/ the MS2 now.

I also installed the intercooler in front of the water radiator (no A/C on my car).

I just got back from the shop, they welded my log-type manifold.

pics and progress report to follow....
Definitely post some pic's and details on the MS2 you are using. Mine still needs some tuning.

Sean

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Cool to see some turbo projects going on in here:grinpimp: Yours looks damn good. I just dropped in and I see these threads about turbos so Im naturally attracted to see whay you all are doing. Keep it up

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It was pointed out to me that the pictures were not coming up in this thread anymore. I tried to modify the original post, but it would not allow it so here are a bunch of Turbo pictures that I have collected from projects over the years. The first few are pictures from the beginning of this Junkyard Turbo thread:

This has nothing to do with me and was a customers Supercharger setup on a 1.3:

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Sean, you lost a lot of good info somewhere in the interwebs also. I tried to access some of your articles on AcksFaq and the links were no good...
My hosting went south over a year ago and I still have not found all the broken links. E-mail the stuff to me when you find it. I will go to Ack's FAQ's and find them. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great thread, I know its an old one but just wondering is the 1.6 a strong enough lump to take a turbo set up long term?
Ive a 1.6 16v running on 31" tyres and cant get enough revs up to drive in 5th.

Turbo might solve my problem

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Great thread, I know its an old one but just wondering is the 1.6 a strong enough lump to take a turbo set up long term?
Ive a 1.6 16v running on 31" tyres and cant get enough revs up to drive in 5th.

Turbo might solve my problem
Go for it! A bone stock 1.6 8 valve and 16 valve can definitely handle at least 6-7 psi with proper tuning and I know of a few customers who have been running 10-12 psi with tuning and supporting mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AFTERMARKET4X4

Thanks for all the R&D!
One question

do you have any issues with running lean on part throttle/closed loop boost? meaning, the FMU sees boost, FMU increases pressure, adds fuel, o2 sees rich and pulls fuel?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts