Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
beautiful brake lines, but man with the rocks we wheel, those would be pinched shut first day out.
Thanks, and now im second guessing this brake line routing and how quickly they may get smashed shut. I'm using the top spring plate as the pad for my bump stop which is why I wanted to avoid routing the brake lines up and over that area. I could add a tab to the top plate as a means of securing the line to the front or back of that plate. This would create a path for the lines to be run on the top centerline of the axle. would need to add a 90 degree fitting from the steel braided line to the hard line as I would like to keep that mounting tab in the same relative location.

might be over thinking it but its a hell of a lot easier to redo it on the bench then on the truck or on the trail.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Way over budget and way behind schedule (the original plan was to have the rear done by Scooter's wedding) but the rear end rebuild is complete and ready to go into its new home. What started as a maintenance focused rebuild snowballed pretty quickly. There isn't a whole lot that isn't new outside of the housing, pinion carrier, hubs and axles. this was my first real go at an overhaul of this scale and leveraged the shit out of the billa vista 14 bolt bible (BillaVista.com-14-Bolt Bible Tech Article by BillaVista), especially helpful with setting up the gears.
had plenty of hiccups along the way but overall im pretty stoked with how everything came out.

build list includes:
Barnes 13 bolt diff cover
Barnes 14 bolt truss
Barnes pinion guard
Ruff Stuff u bolt eliminator kit
Ruff Stuff disc brake brackets
new calipers, rotors and pads (auto-zone special)
new 5.38 thick cut gear set
new carrier (thick cut gears are not compatible with a 4.56 carrier)
new mini spool
all new bearings, races and seals
Before:


After:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Started to get the 60 put together so I can mock up the 4wu kit that has finally arrived. I was only able to get one side put together cause the lower king pin rebuild kit was missing the dust seal and wasn't able to find one locally. Trying to document and as much of the rebuild as possible. unlike the 14 bolt bible on pirate, there isn't really a single source for start to finish on rebuilding a 60. I'll say Im going to compile all this into one big post but we all know the reality of that happening.
In talking with some other people who have ran the kit, the plan is to run 16" 2.5 coil overs with 2" 2.0 air bumps. the mounts for the air bumps restrict my options a bit for the style of can I can run. Will need to run a single bolt style can or got with a King 2.0 that has a threaded stud. Its sounds like packaging everything is a bit of chore, especially when running the shock towers that came with the kit. If its too much shit to stuff up front I may opt to build my own hoops and tube work for the front but that will be a problem for a later date.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
looking good. Glad to see the build still progressing!
progress is crawling along here.

back in hover craft mode with the the 10 bolt removed. Next step will be to chop off all the existing brackets, tabs, hoops and mounts and clean up the entirety of the frame rails from the body mounts forward. The plan is to pull the motor and trans to make this effort easier, while hopefully tracking down a rebuilt transmission to replace this one with.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
continuing to inch along with this thing. The 60 is pretty much assembled and ready for link brackets to be mocked up. I ran into some fitment issues with the disc brake brackets that came with the kit from Lugnut 4x4. Started the passenger side and couldn't get the caliper to fit between the arms of the caliper mount, nothing a little grinding couldn't fix. Once over that hurdle, the angle of bends in the bracket wasn't letting the caliper sit correctly left to right on the rotor. A little massaging in the press brake and it seemed to do the trick. Wasn't thrilled that I had to do any of this but moved on to the driver side. test fit the caliper, slid in fine but the bolt holes were about 1/4"- 3/8" out of alignment. At this point I reached out to Shawn from Lugnut and had 2 new brackets in the mail this morning. Do despite the frustration of not being able to get too much accomplished I was happy that Shawn took care of it no questions asked.

Used this as an opportunity to get some TIG practice in via the addition of some non-tear dropped weld washers. turns out, TIG welding is still pretty tough when do it about once a year. Looking forward to getting some more hood time with some of the components of this front end. Onto the passenger side link mount. the design intent is to locate the passenger side bracket using the bolt holes for the leaf spring perch. using those to locate the bracket there was about a 1/4" gap at the axle tube. I continued to reposition the bracket until I got a pretty tight fit to the axle tubes well still using the front bolt hole has my locating feature. In chatting with Brian from 4WU and showing him some photos of what I had mocked up, there wasn't going to be any ramifications future down the line with the new position I had the bracket it. Remade the "spacer" that resides under the bracket on the flat of the spring perch to account for the new fitment and placed the panhard bar mount in its home to confirm that everything was still happy. panhard mount actually sits in a better location now than so that was a plus. once it is tac'd into place the bolt is removed and the truss lands on top of that hole location.








 
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Top