Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Nice.
Did accutune hit your target ride hewith first set of springs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't done the final adjustments for it yet but it seems to be right about where I want it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Getting more of the details buttoned up.
-Steering system is plumbed and ready for fluid, just waiting on a new belt for the pump which should be arriving today.
-Brake lines and ARB line are routed up the link to the frame, still need to decided where the ARB compressor is going to live long term. Got the incorrect sized banjo fitting on my brake lines from the axle to the caliper, that will be remade today at Royal Brass.
-Clutch lines have been re worked and clutch is bled. Need to get the coolant lines reconnected with the port for the sending unit.
-Driveline is getting dropped off at South Bay Driveline today.
- Still trying to figure out what I want to do with my fuel tank. I got about halfway through making a mount for it in the bed but didn't like how it was coming out so im back at the drawing board for that one. Non zero chance it ends up back in the stock location for the time being until I figure out some sort of fuel cell route that I can still pass smog with.
Hoping that I'll be firing her up by the end of this week.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Having some issues getting this thing to fire up. Getting clicking of the circuit opening relay and can hear fuel pump going and the starter relay clicks but I’m not getting any cranking at the starter. I can jump the starter and it cranks but I can not get the truck to run while doing this. Found a number of threads on various forums of this being fairly common, especially in 86-88 22re pick ups.

everything is connected as it was prior to pulling the motor, dash lights, etc all come on as expected it just won’t start. There are some folks who swear by running a hot shot kit to bypass the factory starter relay and use it only to provide the signal for a relay that brings 13v to the starter solenoid direct from the battery.

My concern is that when jumping the starter I feel as if it should run. It not running leads me to believe that whatever is causing there not to be power at the starter solenoid is also preventing it from running.

Going to try verifying all the grounds are good and clean, and all connections are tight once again in addition the this bypassed relay.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I went through and re grounded all my connections, replaced the lead from the starter to the positive post on the battery, disconnected and reconnected everything. Still no dice. The frustrating part is I dont know why I know longer have 12V here if it worked prior to the motor removal. I did not touch the ignition or connectors for the starter relay itself as part of the removal but clearly something is affecting its functionality.

I found a pretty good thread in yota-tech that goes into pretty good detail about the flaw and remedy. I do not have 12V at pin 4 of this connector as described here and confirmed with the service manual I have. (again, I dont know why this would have changed but I dont have power) Given that I dont have power at pin 4, I do not have power at the black and white wire at pin 2, which also supplies power to the EFI computer, aka no spark. I'm going to give this a remedy a try tonight and see what happens. In other news, im picking up my new front driveline today from Southbay driveline so assuming I can get it running I may be able to get her moving on her own in the not so distant future.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Fairly useless update but getting down to the final details.
electric fan is wired. Ugly driveshaft is in. JDM intake is in. made a little switch panel, temporarily permanent. Long term plan is to pull the dash and clear out most of the under dash components and build a nice aftermarket harness and fuse panel. ARB compressor and front locker are operational. now that all the make it run "well" items are handled, im shifting to the nice to have list. building my winch mount tonight, rest of the tube work for the bumper will come after the trip. Hoping to get some rock lights and forward facing lights installed

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
You got it running?
Yeah turns out you need to connect ALL of the connectors to the ECU......

Drove it Saturday for the first time since KOH 2019. Didn't burn down to the ground so I'll take that as a win. Suspension, steering and brakes all felt great on the road up to a bout 20-25 MPH. Makes me wish the rear wasn't spooled so it would be a little more road friendly. Plenty of little odds and ends to button up but if I had to load it on the trailer today I could.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Haha thats awesome. My rears spooled to.

Looking forward to seeing it on the trail

My coilovers get here in a week or so from accutune

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Truck made it back from Sand Hollow in one piece. It was the shakedown run of shakedown runs. Things started off pretty eventful as power steering fluid from the overflow was dripping onto the header and oil was getting sucked through the PCV and creating some pretty cool visual effects. Fought cooling issues for the bulk of Thursday and Friday, replaced the radiator cap Saturday morning and that seems to have resolved any of the cooling problems. We bypassed the PCV and the smoke show stopped but I fought fuel related issues for the remainder of the trip. Turns out going "fast" burns way more fuel than crawler through the sierras. The vent line from the tank was sucking fuel in through the charcoal canister due to the new location of the tank and the pickup was struggling to get fuel to the motor on steep climbs. I have maintained all the smog equipment so I can keep this plated but im starting to lean towards just going with a green sticker.

I was constantly having to check the diff cover bolts this weekend. having the ram mounted off the cover seems to be problematic. I am planning to build a bolt on mount that keeps the ram off the diff cover itself but still allows me to remove the cover when needed. If I could get this new mount to make use of the high steer arms as well that would be great. my .250 wall tie rod is already a little bent.

Overall, I was really happy with how the truck performed. Having not driven it in almost 2 years, it was great to get it back into the rocks. There is definitely a learning curve with all the new parts of this build. felt like I was searching for the right gear to be in most of the weekend. going to 39's and 5.38 made a huge difference in what my go to gears are. Andrew got the shocks dialed into a pretty happy place so I was having a blast getting chased down by TP through some of the sandy bermed sections between trails. Handful of issues to work through but this thing is a blast.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts