Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who makes em, and what do they usually run for??

i work at a custom fab shop specializing in accoustical enclosures and we want to broaden our product lines. i'm pushing for us to build custom 4x4 parts and buggies but i need to know what they would go for and if there are alot of companies out there that make em. i know they wouldn't be the fastest selling items but i would love to design and build on through our shop instead of my garage.

just wondering if you could help me out. i'm guessing around $20,000.00 US each but i thought you guy's may have more experience having been here longer then myself you may have seen adds. stuff liek that.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
$20,000 might pay for parts and materials for a good buggy :flipoff2: Add another 5 to 10 grand for labor and I think your right......they aren't gonna sell very well. Especially in Canada where isn't really a need for them(No competitions). I think a twisted customs buggy would cost over $40 large, maybe $50 :eek:

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
20 might put you in the right range depending on what/if new parts are used and somebody else builds it.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DOUG38S said:
and somebody else builds it.
.....???????

:flipoff2: what you dont like my fab work???? they would be designed in solidworks and fabbed by ticketed welders. and i know my shit i'm not starting a thread to debate that.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
How many people sell alot of turn key buggies? Doesn't seem like the best business decision to me if your company has nothing to do w/ the rock crawling scene.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you think companies get into it?? Currently i'm a project manager in this company and i'm a major part of the exapnsion project. one of my personal goals is to own amy own 4x4 fab shop this would be a great start.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
well start by opening up a fab shop and doing cages, tube fenders, motor swaps etc. etc. Once you make some sort of name for yourself then you can start pumping out chassis and then full turn key rock rigs.

I suspect that even some of the best 4x4 fabricators DON'T make a whole great deal of money off of big-money products like chassis and full turn key rigs. I also suspect people who have a wheel or beadlock line (I.E. Walker Evans) do alot better than most other fab shops. Products that are unique, well built, and are proven tend to do the best in this industry. Keep in mind that this is not a huge sport (yet), and if you are good at fabricating/machining you should have no shortage of small to medium fabrication jobs.

The best money-maker in this industry are products that can be distributed largely, custom work is not a big money maker.

That's my 2 Cents. :D

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
Kraqa said:
Who makes em, and what do they usually run for??

i work at a custom fab shop specializing in accoustical enclosures and we want to broaden our product lines. i'm pushing for us to build custom 4x4 parts and buggies but i need to know what they would go for and if there are alot of companies out there that make em. i know they wouldn't be the fastest selling items but i would love to design and build on through our shop instead of my garage.

just wondering if you could help me out. i'm guessing around $20,000.00 US each but i thought you guy's may have more experience having been here longer then myself you may have seen adds. stuff liek that.

====================

here's a few to check out. good luck

http://www.gradysoffroad.com/jackyl/jackyl.html

http://avalancheengineering.com/zerog1.htm

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html

although no turnkey buggy's available, check out hendrix motorsports also.

http://www.hendrixmotorsports.com/_wsn/page2.html

:)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. yes right now i'm findind out how feasable it is to do cages and chassis. if it is then were going to get a tube bender. right now i'm also looking at the possibility of making skids and CA's.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Kraqa said:
.....???????

:flipoff2: what you dont like my fab work???? they would be designed in solidworks and fabbed by ticketed welders. and i know my shit i'm not starting a thread to debate that.
What fab work? Post it up. If you know your stuff, link it.

you posed a general question...what do they go for...I gave you a general answer...depends if you build it or someone else does. :flipoff2:

Have gone both routes.

www.whaleyent.com does very cuitting edge work and Bryan's work is competition proven. Prices are very good also.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You would be hard pressed to get all of your parts for $20K US, let alone pay for material, equipment, shop space, insurance, labour, etc. You have nothing to offer as far as a reputation/track record so you would have to compete on cost.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
IMHO dont waste your time on building turnkey rigs that are already completed and then say here it is and try and sell it. 20K would not buy just parts for some rigs. Most customers who are willing the drop that kinda coin, want to tell you what to put on it to fit their needs, not the other way. Maybe just offer the chassis for sure. A turn key rig from some of the above fab shops will cost upwards of 40-50K or more. I purchased a somewhat "roller" from Campbell Ent. and that is what many customers may want. I have since sold that chassis and will be building a new one in the future. But I already have axles, tires&wheels, engine,tranny,atlas,lots of small parts ect..So for me it will be just choosing the chassis, more than likely a Campbell ent. chassis again or maybe a TC one. As others have stated, the competetion is high in this market, and I would say continue to build your business, support this BB, market into the sport anyway you can, and fo sho show us some fab :flipoff2:

As far as the ones for sale that stay on the market. Buggys are getting more commonplace these days with already a lot more fab shops than even a year ago, building buggies. They are kinda like a new car. You can spend 40K, but as soon as you drive it on the trail , in a comp, or a full season for that matter they depreciate. That 40K to build can become 20K rig real fast. If I was looking to buy used and I was willing to spend say 35-40K, one would be crazy not to just buy a new rig that is custom built for them at that price.

You could build a 20K rig, but it wont be one with a ALL NEW healthy V8,built auto, Atlas, High Angle shafts, custom Dana 60's, coilovers, link suspension ect...I know I know that that is not what everyone wants, but for 20K, you might be able to build a cool Sami or Toy drivetrained buggy?

Man I could go on and on about options, but you get the idea.

RG

·
FU2
2,098 Posts
lets see.....

here are some numbers from the buggy that is being built right now...

14k for the motor..
12k for the axles housings and knuckles (bare)
some tube...
some steering...
a tranny...
a t-case...
some labor...
some powder coat'n...

no, no where near 20k...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Tin Bender said:
lets see.....

14k for the motor..
What the hell kinda motor you runnin that cost a $14K? :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I don't think, no matter what, will anyone ever become the next jesse james by building tube buggies.

sorry I hate to burst your (and my) bubble :flipoff2:

·
FU2
2,098 Posts
without saying too much....
it's run on gas...
it has a turbo...
it has 4 cyl...
it makes 400hp (DE-tuned)
lots-o crome, powder coat, polish....
oh yeah, and it has some cool exhaust... :D

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Tin Bender said:
lets see.....

14k for the motor..
12k for the axles housings and knuckles (bare)
some tube...
some steering...
a tranny...
a t-case...
some labor...
some powder coat'n...

no, no where near 20k...
did you mispeak when you said $14,000 for the motor and $12,000 for the axles?

I know I am into my buggy ATLEAST $20K for parts alone and I got most my parts free, cheap, or traded...the shit adds up real quick, especially when you get into the small details. The turn-key buggy schaffers offers is a hell of a deal...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts