Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of cutting an old truck in half to make a trailer out of it. I've seen a lot of people do this and it looks like a fairly simple procedure. However, how do you handle the registration? Continue to register it as a truck? Or is it possible to re-register it as a trailer? Any personal experiences here?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Have you seen the people that do that? Do you really want to be that person? :rolleyes:

Personally, I think you should jsut get a trailer. Or if you are going to tube out the rear of an old truck, it would make since. But that's the only way it would make any since to me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I want to do it is because I own a classic truck and want to have a matching trailer to go with it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
trailer

I'm going through that process right now. I took my box off my truck to do a flatbed and make a trailer out of the box. As far as the trailer goes registering it should be a problem you have to fill out some papers saying you made the trailer. They will need to inspect it to make sure the lights work. They will ask you where you got the box from and what is currently on the truck you took it from. In my case my truck needs to be inspected and weighed because I changed it to a flatbed. If you have a donor bed from somewhere else they might ask for receipts. Good luck. See my tread flatbed conversion.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You would have to register it as a homemade trailer. I had one & it was no big deal.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Making a trailer from a Pu is easy.

Remove the cab, front suspension, drivetrain, crossmembers back to the bed, and various other parts. Notch the frame rails through the flanges, heat them up and bend them inward until they form a point in the center. Weld your linette eye or hitch to the point. Back up the welds with suitable bolts.
This works very well with Yotas, actually a good use for them:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
brennanw said:
The reason I want to do it is because I own a classic truck and want to have a matching trailer to go with it.
A friend has a 55 F100 pro street and a matching trailer and it is cool. It is usefull as well because with the tubs he can't fit his matching go cart he is building in the back of the truck. lol
What kind of truck?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts