Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I’d really appreciate any advice I can get. I have a 1965 Chevy k10, Dana 44 front, gm 12 bolt rear. I’m looking at swapping a 14 bolt corporate and a Dana 60 underneath this truck. I already have wheels for this truck and they are 6x5.5 bolt pattern with a 4.177 hub bore, so they will fit over the hub lockers on the Dana 60, but from what I’ve researched, they will not fit over the stock hub on the 14 bolt. I think it is 4.5 inches in diameter. So what I would like to know is how can I solve this problem? Can I turn down the hub that much? Are there after market hubs I can change into this axle? And I’d also like to know what to do for the Dana 60 for the bolt pattern.
Thanks,
Zeb

—Also using the hydraulic steering could prevent me from doing a power steering swap but maybe that’s overkill

·
Registered
53 Posts
You would be better off turning your wheels than turning the hub. There are some aftermarket hubs out there like Ballistic Fab, but they are expensive and have the same diameter I believe.

Reactions: NorCalJalopy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would be better off turning your wheels than turning the hub. There are some aftermarket hubs out there like Ballistic Fab, but they are expensive and have the same diameter I believe.
These are the wheels I don’t think there is enough meat there for that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just measured and there might be, not sure, would it be safe to do that?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,345 Posts
You would be better off to switch to 8 lug.

This comes up every couple years, and people try all kinds of shit to keep their wheels. They end up spending way more than new wheels would’ve cost. Just get new wheels.

I have heard the oh but I made my own wheels custom before. You’d still be ahead to get new wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This comes up every couple years, and people try all kinds of shit to keep their wheels. They end up spending way more than new wheels would’ve cost. Just get new wheels.

I have heard the oh but I made my own wheels custom before. You’d still be ahead to get new wheels.
These wheels are brand new, tires too. I’m using them regardless, but I have access to these axles for a great price

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I could turn down the hub and turn up the wheel

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,203 Posts
These wheels are brand new, tires too. I’m using them regardless, but I have access to these axles for a great price
Sell them and buy wheels that fit, or wait for the axle swap until you need new tires then sell the wheels to buy ones that fit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want to temporarily run those wheels until you get the cash for some new ones, you could get some 8x6.5 to 6x5.5 spacers/adapters

Reactions: HardRain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to temporarily run those wheels until you get the cash for some new ones, you could get some 8x6.5 to 6x5.5 spacers/adapters
I’d have to get ones that push the rear wheel past the hub, and that might be a bad idea

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’d have to get ones that push the rear wheel past the hub, and that might be a bad idea
I never said it was a good idea, only a temporary solution ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The hub on a standard 14 bolt FF sticks out about 2", with 65" wms and 2" spacers to make those wheels work would be 69" wms, which is what a standard d60 is.
That'd be my choice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hub on a standard 14 bolt FF sticks out about 2", with 65" wms and 2" spacers to make those wheels work would be 69" wms, which is what a standard d60 is.
That'd be my choice
So use spacers is what you’re saying? Is it safe to have the wheel not ride right on the hub?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,345 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That rim looks unused, sell it now. It’s just gonna get messed up off-road.
This truck is gonna be a daily driver, maybe some Offroad, I can get these axles for a great deal and I’m looking at them because they’re stronger, I’ll have disc brakes, better turning radius, etc

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unless I'm missing something here you can buy aftermarket 6-lug hubs for both the D60 front and 14FF rear. However you are getting in the $1,000+ range plus most (all?) of the 14FF kits narrow the axle even more (factory they are usually narrower than the front D60). My question would if keeping the current wheels is worth $1,000+ to you. I would ask if your current tire and wheel setup are 15's. You can buy 15" 8 lug wheels but your choices are very small and pretty much limited to steelies.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts