Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i fianally got my first cruiser, 75 fj40 sittin on 36 tsl and a 327 in front of a stock(i think)4 speed and transfer case w/ pto winch and MANUEL steering. this pig dosent turn! i plan on swaping to the mini truck power steering and rebuilding the center link thing caues its shot(i think) but it still doesent seem like that will be enough to make this baby turn. is this common on all cruisers or is my shit just roached beond beleaf? any suggestions to make this thing turn?:confused:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Anything that has 36's will not turn without power steering. I would personally go saginaw power steering or even get an AGR setup. If you still don't like how it turns you can always run hydro assist. One example is my mini truck, its completely stock, 235/75/15, with manual steering and it can at times be a bitch to turn. Don't worry it is not just your rig. Welcome newbie.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Yeah, the mini setup still keeps that aweful drag link from the box to the center arm that gets in the way of flex on your drivers side tire.

You need to look into a FJ-60, Scout or Saginaw for your setup.

Go to IH8MUD.COM for all the information you need.

Welcome :flipoff2:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya but the thing i really concernd about is the turning radius. even with power mini or saganaw it will turn the same at full lock right? the turning radius right now is like 40 feet!!:mad:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
x_factor said:
ya but the thing i really concernd about is the turning radius. even with power mini or saganaw it will turn the same at full lock right? the turning radius right now is like 40 feet!!:mad:
It is possible that your steering is really buggered up. Any of the conversions (mini/scout/FJ60/Sag) will bring the steering radius back to stock. And if you invest in a set of the new longs it will be better than stock. I see no reason to keep the stock steering setup if it is truly buggered up. I tried to rebuild the center steering arm multiple times on my 40. Never worked well. Mine had been loose enough for long enough to kinda wollow out the mount.

Go scout/60 or sag. The mini PS does not remove the center link. And your problems will probably still exist..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iwould love to go sag but i dont think i have enough room with the pto and shaft right there. ill have to investagate the 60 a little i never heard of it

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I run the PTO winch on my cruiser and i have Scout Power Steering works great and it's a great alternative.

Travis

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have some pictures but i don't have them scanned in. Anyways the Scout Power steering is mounted right by the driver side shock tower, which is way out of the way of the PTO shaft. Do a search of the Scout power steering and you will find some pictures of how it is installed and check www.ih8mud.com there are a couple tech articles as well.

Travis

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
The scout and Sag boxes are identical with one exception. Mounting position. The Scout Box mounts on top of the frame and the sector shaft (the part that connects to the draglink) is out side the framerail. You can put anything you want in between the framerails.

Go to Ih8mud.com and read up about steering solutions. In fact read everything there ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an Hj 47 PC which weighs 3300kg ,has 12.5 tires and a 12in steering wheel. When I put those tyres on it I could not turn it, probably because I'm a weed. I put a new stabilizer on it which helped a bit, but my suggestion is, it's a MAN'S MACHINE! put up with it! I'm actually growing some muscle after two months, and it's getting easier!! Good Luck,
Jamus :smokin:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well at 6foot1 225 lbs im all man baby:flipoff2: im just real lazy;)

·
Banned
471 Posts
About the AGR box

I would probably advise against the AGR box due to the fact that every one I have installed leaks at the sector shaft, majority have just quit and locked on the trail(recirculating ball defect I think)
All of the ones I have installed that didn't quit leak and get play
in the box. And the AGR pump isn't any better!! You will be A LOT
better running stock(new or rebuilt) Saginaw setup, or 60 if that
works, but there isn't alot of power in the stock Toy boxes.

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Re: About the AGR box

kruzrtek said:
I would probably advise against the AGR box due to the fact that every one I have installed leaks at the sector shaft, majority have just quit and locked on the trail(recirculating ball defect I think)
All of the ones I have installed that didn't quit leak and get play
in the box. And the AGR pump isn't any better!! You will be A LOT
better running stock(new or rebuilt) Saginaw setup, or 60 if that
works, but there isn't alot of power in the stock Toy boxes.

Kruzrtek
Kruzrtek, the ARG boxes and pumps are a joke agreed. The boxes are nothing but J20 sag boxes and the pumps are new pumps with a couple of mods.

However the 60 boxes power is lacking because of the Ps pump used. Get a nice sag pump modify it with lakerat's mods and you will be golden. If you really want cush steering get a sag box and have LakeRat port it for hydro assist. Fully cool setup :)

Sag and Sag hydro assist can be done cheaply..

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: About the AGR box

kruzrtek said:
... You will be A LOT better running stock(new or rebuilt) Saginaw setup, or 60 if that works, but there isn't alot of power in the stock Toy boxes....
No way... go with the 60 or scout box... I have the Saginaw, works great but I don't have a PTO, there is no feasible way to do a Saginaw box and retain the PTO input.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya that is what im up aginst i have the pto and have deciced to go scout thanks everyone for the info:flipoff2: ;)

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
I have the Saginaw, works great but I don't have a PTO, there is no feasible way to do a Saginaw box and retain the PTO input.
I can really understand why Newbies can easily get confused with some of this conversion jargon. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the power steering box used by International Harvestor in their Scout IS A SAGINAW box. Saginaw made lots of different steering gear boxes including the model 800 which is the common box used on FJ40s without a pto. So we are really talking about different models of Saginaw PS gear boxes.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Medusa said:
... the power steering box used by International Harvestor in their Scout IS A SAGINAW box. ...
Yes I do understand that, I should have said Scout Saginaw setup, however, the post I replied to was in reference to wether or not to use and AGR system which is a moot subject since they don't even make a scout style box...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts