Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With lifes suprises it was time to say goodby to the Otherwomen...My 85 Toyota pickup I had for many years.With another addition to the family, a rig with more seats was in order. I wheeled this truck all over the westerm U.S. and made many changes over the 20 years I owned it. I will miss her.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So A new project was in order.:D One of my favorite places to wheel was the Black Hills. While attending several events through the years I noticed a young kid with Lots of talent for building cool cars. When I decided to have a chassis built I knew who I wanted to work with. I went to Twisted Customs and sat down over a bowl of stir fry and we came up with a plan.
I wanted a 4 seater but wanted it small enough to do the more technical trails. I've been a Toyota guy for many years so the front end needed to be Cruiser. I don't think I was asking for to much... A Buggy I could do comps in with the family:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I brought the motor and other major parts up to Twisted Customs and the fun began.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Looking good. I work up near 20th and Kipling, if you ever need someone to show it off to when you get it wrapped up, shoot me a PM; would love to check it out. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was their first all tube 4 seater. It was also a first wider chassis with a Cruiser front clip. Joe took the hood from his old cruiser, shortened tapered, and pie cut it to make a metal piece for the fiberglass mold.The pic's below are the final product...Ready to get duplicated in fiberglass. The cowl was seperated after it returned from glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Seats are Mastercraft with pockets for storage and a 36 inch bench. Davis rad with built in fan and tranny cooler.:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drivetrain as follows: 2000 Camaro Ls1,Turbo 400 with reverse manual valve body and compression braking.All upgraded inerds and 2000 stall coverter.Transfer case is a Stak 3 speed with a 4.3 low gear. I figured the mid gear in the T case and the Ls1 would be sweet on the fire roads. The fronts a Tera 60 with 4.88's and detroit.Longfield CV's with 300m shafts...A cruisers got to have Birfs...Right... The rear end is a Tera 60 with same innards for now. I Know,I know, It's not going to last. Got a great deal on both axles, so started the build with this setup. Planning on doing a spider 9 full floater hopefully by this Spring. Front is 64 WMS and rear is 63.Wilwood Calipers and rotors all the way around. Fox coilovers and air bumps front and rear. Walker Evans and 39 inch Krawlers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted the chassis as low as possible and the engine as far back as their comp buggies. It is amazing how tight some of the clearances are at full compression! Had to cut a corner of the oil pan off and replate to clear the left bank exhaust coming around the front and connecting with the right.

Attachments

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Very....but you have not shared the good stuff yet with everyone.......also, the wheelbase is what is the most impressive if you ask me.

How bout some interior shots old man.....

Off to the Hammers. I now have 1805 miles one way to drool over your new buggy!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
A bunch of hippies are building your buggy? :lol: That looks great. I watched your toy back when it was still looking like a truck, and was really impressed for a toyota. This thing will be even better. Keep the info coming. I've always wanted to see a build thread of one of their chassis.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wanted the chassis as low as possible and the engine as far back as their comp buggies. It is amazing how tight some of the clearances are at full compression! Had to cut a corner of the oil pan off and replate to clear the left bank exhaust coming around the front and connecting with the right.
Whats the width between the frame rails?
It looks like they made a good job by getting everything to fit that well.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Looks like a cool build by some of the best in the business. Keep us updated with pics man.

BTW, I saw Brian last weekend and I think the fro has been attended to.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Very nice. Could you post up some dimensions on the hood. I am in the same boat. I had to send my toy down the road to build a 4 seat chassis, due to my rapidly expanding family. I made the chassis 59" wide at the cowl, cause I wanted the room since its a family wagon. Therefore, my cruiser hood is too narrow, and I need to widen it. I could go with a jeep hood, but I too am a toy guy. Did they happen to widen your hood at the cowl? I was guessing that might be the reason for the pie cut. I am assuming they would sell more of this hood, since they already have the mold. Oh.....sweet build!!

1 - 20 of 736 Posts