Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I'm voting for "cut that way"--they're too straight not to be. Looks like they were cut with a tool that had an angle on one side and no angle on the other side, but was brought into the axle at a goofy angle to make up for it. Basically, cut with the wrong tool and a technique to compensate for it--as long as you're not seating the side gear all the way into the splines, it should be fine.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
they'd have to be identical since they whole shaft has to turn in the side gear.
now, if both inner axle shafts look like that, I may have to change my answer. but my 60's front shafts don't look like that,

·
Registered
32,452 Posts
I have to agree with cut.

my front 60's splines look NOTHING like that though at all. Which is why Im goin with cut

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
bgreen said:
Side view on the left and end view on the right. The long verticle deal on the right is the endmill.
i agree 100% they were cut that way...i had some shafts cut by WMS and they came back like that...took me 1 day to twist them all to hell...

good luck. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
no i am saying use that axle till it pops then get a real axle made :flipoff2:

o and this needs to be said

Narrowed = PITA

now you know why i got rid of my narrowed 44 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Heck no, lock that bastard.

IDK why people think locking up an axle is harder on it that lifting a tire, spinning said tire @ 2x ring gear speed and then regaining traction ......:confused:

Besides, the stub will probably let go first :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.